Deer and fox dogs

as i said if the dog is brought up proper on what ever you choose to run it on it should do a job

if the dog is brought on proper and the gear is put in front of it they should do both fox and deer half the time the dog is let down by the owner who then blames the dog and not his self atb

some dogs just will not do teeth no matter how you bring them on ,if it aint in them to mix it you cant put it there ,no matter what or how you try..theres plenty of people that have had failures with dogs not liking or doing teeth pre ban me included .

read what i said should do both not will atb

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty people will jack from a fallow buck never mind there dogs

my old dog ,give 100% every time he was out ,pleasure to own and run,do foxes for fun,had his fair share of roe.,but never seen anything bigger.could do some good bags of rabbits as well.put down at 1

the cross i ran in the 80s was saluki grey x collie grey he took both fox and deer no problem and had good wind on hare photo been up before atb

Posted Images

I don't think that's the case with foxes. Some dogs won't do them single handed no matter how you enter them. And in my experience, not including bull Xs, not a lot of lurchers are single handed.

From what ive seen over the years theres plenty of bull Xs that wont or cant do it single handed either.
  • Like 1

I don't think that's the case with foxes. Some dogs won't do them single handed no matter how you enter them. And in my experience, not including bull Xs, not a lot of lurchers are single handed.

true mate, ive know dogs take (all) bar fox on 4 legs, you would think a 18 fox is nout comp to other animals that they take, but some dogs dont like to mix it with old charlie :yes:

To right , you'd think a dog that could pull fallow would wreck a little fox

The difference is deer dont bite back and deer being hooved animals are a natural prey animal for a dog.It only takes ability for a dog to take deer it takes bo**ocks as well to to make a proper fox dog.
  • Like 2

From what ive seen over the years theres plenty of bull Xs that wont or cant do it single handed either.

that much shit getting chucked together!

some dogs will refuse foxes no matter the breeding or how you bring it up an enter it, same as some dogs look as tho they are running deer are in fact just pushing it hopein it makes a mistake, some dogs are jus culls no matter who got them or what they do with them....

• Like 2

so if you wanted a fox /deer dog preban witch would you start it on first .and what age would you start it ,single or doubled .

Fox , 18 month , single or doubled try to get a good number underneath the dog before trying on deer

• Like 1

Ideally 18mths-2yrs for fox depends on what way dog is bred but you really want it to take fox single handed, ive never owned a dog that was used for deer so cant comment on that aspect of things although ive seen dogs belonging to associates take deer on a couple of occasions.

so if you wanted a fox /deer dog preban witch would you start it on first .and what age would you start it ,single or doubled .

All dogs are different but had a dog self enter to roe at 11 month old and by 14 months was doing the lot and i also had a bitch that took a long time to kill her first but once she did there was no stopping her.

With the good uns it doesnt matter how you enter them but i try to let the young dogs run with another youngun.

Atb

People seem to think its harder to get a good fox dog ..... BULLSHIT.

i think its true 9 times out of 10 a dog will be more willing to take something that dosent give it some of the sharp end... some dogs have took a good kicking off a deer and never looked at them again, the breeding of a dog isnt that important, if it aint got heart and desire you will see a lot more get away than what ends up in the bag.

true mate, ive know dogs take (all) bar fox on 4 legs, you would think a 18 fox is nout comp to other animals that they take, but some dogs dont like to mix it with old charlie :yes:

To right , you'd think a dog that could pull fallow would wreck a little fox

The difference is deer dont bite back and deer being hooved animals are a natural prey animal for a dog.It only takes ability for a dog to take deer it takes bo**ocks as well to to make a proper fox dog.

very true, but you get what i was meaning,