Running half hearted

can't understand how some people would suggest shooting the dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you don't want the dog someone will. be honest with them and you'll make a friend for life.

there are times when a dog has to go. but not for that

you have the dog then lol I dread to think what ye have passed on and bred from in the past lol

if you read the topic you would be aware that the dog only stalks on rabbits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now there are lurcher men out there that don't have the desire to catch them and are more than happy to catch other bigger things!!!!!

like i said BE HONEST. just because a dogs not right for you doesn't mean it's not right for anyone else.

I DON'T PASS ON DOGS. check out how many for sale posts i've put on here

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

any lurcher can start walk or just trot down the beam, if it (keeps) missing it's rabbits, not just colliexs . Bryn and my other colliex Blaze that i had (never) walked down the beam, Bryn still goes

i owned a 1st x collie greyhound that was prolific on bunnies then i introduced it to teeth and bamby and it changed in a heart beat would only chase bunnies that it knew it had a chance of catching

Not saying she is or not,but as wilf was saying i think,If my dog do`s something i dont like, i always look at all other possibility's before i blame the dog. A greyhound muscle bone lad would charge

Posted Images

She looks very fit. Why are dogs more keen on fox and deer once they have a taste from them? Is it because they're easier to catch as from my experience they're harder to catch, especially foxs. If the dogs running half hearted and only running rabbits it knows it can catch, why doesn't it do the same with the bigger stuff?

Thats what i cant understand why is she putting more effort into other stuff when shes getting a face full of teeth every time she catches a fox

Very confusing! I have a strange situation with my lurcher (beddyxwhippet). I've only ever put her on rabbits and she's as keen as mustard. Runs her heart out everytime. But away from that in normal day to day life she is the most withdrawn dog I've ever known. She's only 2 but walks round the place (when she can be bothered to wake up) like a 14 yr old. Appearing all stiff and uninterested in anything, including walks. But get her out on the lamp or something kicks up in front of her and she goes mad for it. After reading some of the posts on this topic, think I might get her checked out as it doesn't seem right.

But you got a tricky problem there pal. I know a bit about dog behaviour but can't work out why she's keen for fox and deer but not rabbit. Would make sense if her success rate was higher on fox/deer but if its not i can only imagine she likes a bit of a scrap at the end of the chase, and because she doesn't get this from a rabbit she's less interested.

Whats she like on hares?

She looks very fit. Why are dogs more keen on fox and deer once they have a taste from them? Is it because they're easier to catch as from my experience they're harder to catch, especially foxs. If the dogs running half hearted and only running rabbits it knows it can catch, why doesn't it do the same with the bigger stuff?

I personally think its down to a dogs instinct withdeer and fox (pre-ban) ive seen dogs leave a rabbit and go on to deer. I think its because deer represent a good investment in energy used compared to what energy they get back from the kill who knows ? As for fox i think dogs are keen on them for the same reason wild wolves kill coyotes and leave them.

Does the dog run after the rabbit if it jumps ?

I personally think its down to a dogs instinct withdeer and fox (pre-ban) ive seen dogs leave a rabbit and go on to deer. I think its because deer represent a good investment in energy used compared to what energy they get back from the kill who knows ? As for fox i think dogs are keen on them for the same reason wild wolves kill coyotes and leave them.

Does the dog run after the rabbit if it jumps ?

Would a well feed dog really consider this? I would think a lurchers instint has been tuned to chase anything that moves, no matter how big or small. If this was the case it would affect all types of lurchers and not just as it seems collie crosses. I've only put my beddy/whippet on to rabbits but she is as keen to chase a fox/deer/hare as she is to chase a rabbit if she sees it running. Its all about the movement.

No one can argue that collies are clever dogs but I wouldn't call this clever. They have been bred to work with us. picking and choosing runs is not what I call working with the owner. but this could be down to human mistakes and slipping the dog on rabbits it just can't catch, but i would guess if someone was doing this on rabbits it would be done on deer/fox too so why is the dog keen on these but not on rabbits? Doesn't make sense.

I'd say it sounds like you have ran her to hard or u have given her to many slips she had no chance off catching I did the very same thing to my dog thoroughly stupidity and by knowing any better just treat it like your starting a pup off from scratch only squatters and rabbits on the middle off fields until she is getting 3 out of 5 that should build her confidence then only slips within reason

She was 100% last season. Then i took her out lamping for the first time this season and shes not putting much effort in

i bet shes not been to a bone man all the time your add her .get someone with a sliped dics see how he would want to dig a terrier out .
  • Like 1

any lurcher can start walk or just trot down the beam, if it (keeps) missing it's rabbits, not just colliexs . Bryn and my other colliex Blaze that i had (never) walked down the beam, Bryn still goes down like a rocket on a rabbit, because ive have tried over 5 years to make sure what ever he ran he would catch. The dogs got to think he will catch whats in front of him, and thats down to the bloke other end of the lead ., always make them a winner :yes:

sep212.jpg

To true Ray had Collie x's for years has you know. I've never had this problem with one. (IT'S A COLLIE THING APPARENTLY).

What do you reckon it is if its not a collie thing only ever seen one dog do it and it was mine and it had alot of collie in it and a few of the lads are saying the same thing you and ray and did ray not say bryn was starting to pick his run before and wouldnt get a dog with so much collie in it again :hmm: might of just been lucky lol :thumbs: Edited by nothernlite

the collie in the dog has learnt the rabbits have a very small emotional investment compared to bigger game that drain the emotional capacity of the dog,

it works along the lines of the bigger the challenge the more rewarding the feeling afterwards, a dog would have to catch 100 rabbits to equal the feelgood feeling it gets from catching 1 fox,

if we think of Drive as pure emotion, the more emotion spent doing an exercise for the dog, the bigger and more attractive that action appears to the dog,

an experienced dog weights up the feelgood factors of everything it hunts, a rabbit may energize the dog on seeing it to say 500 volts, on catching the rabbit the dog probably grounds 400 of these volts leaving the dog looking for more because its only a quick bite and maybe a mouthing nothing more

whereas bigger game charge the dog up to 5000 volts on sight , needing to get rid of that many volts drive the dog wild which is why so many go nuts for charlie jumping round squealing , screaming, its all energy , on catching that fox the dog gets to ground all 5000 volts which means huge feel good feelings for that dog and a huge sense of satisfaction inside, the fox is then given the credit for the feelgood feeling , the dog dont hate the fox he fecking loves it,

the only other way i can put it is the fox represents full sex and bliss whereas the rabbit is the same as a quick grope and frustration :D

the dog has done the maths ,

• Like 3

the collie in the dog has learnt the rabbits have a very small emotional investment compared to bigger game that drain the emotional capacity of the dog,

it works along the lines of the bigger the challenge the more rewarding the feeling afterwards, a dog would have to catch 100 rabbits to equal the feelgood feeling it gets from catching 1 fox,

if we think of Drive as pure emotion, the more emotion spent doing an exercise for the dog, the bigger and more attractive that action appears to the dog,

an experienced dog weights up the feelgood factors of everything it hunts, a rabbit may energize the dog on seeing it to say 500 volts, on catching the rabbit the dog probably grounds 400 of these volts leaving the dog looking for more because its only a quick bite and maybe a mouthing nothing more

whereas bigger game charge the dog up to 5000 volts on sight , needing to get rid of that many volts drive the dog wild which is why so many go nuts for charlie jumping round squealing , screaming, its all energy , on catching that fox the dog gets to ground all 5000 volts which means huge feel good feelings for that dog and a huge sense of satisfaction inside, the fox is then given the credit for the feelgood feeling , the dog dont hate the fox he fecking loves it,

the only other way i can put it is the fox represents full sex and bliss whereas the rabbit is the same as a quick grope and frustration :D

the dog has done the maths ,

Great analogy that mate. :victory:

i had a whippet/greyhound x collie/greyhound started doing that aswell,she started of great and was one of the easiest dogs to get started lamping ,running the beam to squatters on her second night out,but in her 3rd working season a rabbit that was less than about 30 yards from the cover she would only trot down the beam ,with a few steps then stop and point and then do the same thing over and over again until she got close enough to make a charge,but if the rabbit made a dash for the cover she would just look at it run and trot back to me.this is not ideal but it worked with this bitch,i tarted doubling her up with her younger bother and the bit of competition from the other dog drove her on a bit,she started more interest in the close to cover rabbits ,but was never 100% ,but daytime ferreting and mooching she was excellent.

6511072187a9206068494l.jpg

any lurcher can start walk or just trot down the beam, if it (keeps) missing it's rabbits, not just colliexs . Bryn and my other colliex Blaze that i had (never) walked down the beam, Bryn still goes down like a rocket on a rabbit, because ive have tried over 5 years to make sure what ever he ran he would catch. The dogs got to think he will catch whats in front of him, and thats down to the bloke other end of the lead ., always make them a winner :yes:

sep212.jpg

To true Ray had Collie x's for years has you know. I've never had this problem with one. (IT'S A COLLIE THING APPARENTLY).

What do you reckon it is if its not a collie thing only ever seen one dog do it and it was mine and it had alot of collie in it and a few of the lads are saying the same thing you and ray and did ray not say bryn was starting to pick his run before and wouldnt get a dog with so much collie in it again :hmm: might of just been lucky lol :thumbs:

no not quite right, he will run down the beam full on for about 30 runs, then when he is tired a bit he will slow it down to catch his rabbits. The reason i said i would not go for a dog with lot of collie in the mix, is because of the (over sensitve temp) .But i think thats most my fault for being to hard with him.My pup Buck 1x gsd x grey, ive gone for this x , because they re like colliesxs regards brain + drive, but they have a harder type temp from what alot of people tell me who had this x before.But my pup Buck is a wingeing fecker 24/7, not in his kennel with Bryn thank feck, but apart from that everywhere else in the (car,garden,on the walks.) never had a pup like this before , dont know what type dog he will grow into, hope he grows out of it. :yes: and i moaned about Bryn lol. I took him out last night Buck with Bryn + jon old dog trigger, will put few words up latter when he stick few pics up .

I had collie xs for a long time, bred from a good working hill collie bitch mated to a top coursing greyhound dog, that was the base of the breed, and I never encountered, any of these problems, But they were used for daytime, mostly, number one, they are highly intelligent dogs, learn fast, very keen to do there job, great nose, and very good at carrying there catch back to hand, my opinion you have sickened the dog, over faced it too many runs, No chance to catch what you have sent the dog down the beam for, and truth is you have sickened the dog, a good handler can read his dog, and knows when the dog has had enough, but if you dont listen, and you cannot read the signs, this is the result, (((( a Little of topic this one((( it happened to Horses, especially horses that had to work to earn there living, they got sickened, by too heavy loads, in the states Barrel racing, the horses refuse to even come into the arena, show jumpers, if you over face them at a treble jump, and they start knocking the poles down it becomes a regular Habit, learn from your mistake, and dont make the same mistake twice, (((( a Good collie cross will always fill the pot, thats what they were bred for, when a family depended on a good dog to put meat on the table, that cross has stood the passage of time,, and will in the future, ((((( Rant over a proper one can fill your freezer with all edible game and with a bit of pheasant on top,

• Like 1

I had collie xs for a long time, bred from a good working hill collie bitch mated to a top coursing greyhound dog, that was the base of the breed, and I never encountered, any of these problems, But they were used for daytime, mostly, number one, they are highly intelligent dogs, learn fast, very keen to do there job, great nose, and very good at carrying there catch back to hand, my opinion you have sickened the dog, over faced it too many runs, No chance to catch what you have sent the dog down the beam for, and truth is you have sickened the dog, a good handler can read his dog, and knows when the dog has had enough, but if you dont listen, and you cannot read the signs, this is the result, (((( a Little of topic this one((( it happened to Horses, especially horses that had to work to earn there living, they got sickened, by too heavy loads, in the states Barrel racing, the horses refuse to even come into the arena, show jumpers, if you over face them at a treble jump, and they start knocking the poles down it becomes a regular Habit, learn from your mistake, and dont make the same mistake twice, (((( a Good collie cross will always fill the pot, thats what they were bred for, when a family depended on a good dog to put meat on the table, that cross has stood the passage of time,, and will in the future, ((((( Rant over a proper one can fill your freezer with all edible game and with a bit of pheasant on top,

Spot on Border lad.
  • Like 1

my pup sometimes takes a foxy approach to a rabbit if its close to cover but it works for her and she gets them in the end as somehow shes learned how to turn them away back into the field, but if its out in the open she like a steam train charging down towards it atb