Running half hearted

Is she fit.A dog could injure herself running in the park.If she hasnt seen a rabbit since last season she wouldnt be that fit.

Fair enough. she was geting walked 3 mile a day and fetching a ball for a hour every day as well so she would have been fairly fit before the season started just cant get round her putting all her effort into other quarry and rabbits that are fairly close. even if a rabbit is in the middle of the field and squatting she still only runs half hearted even though she has a good chance of catching it

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

any lurcher can start walk or just trot down the beam, if it (keeps) missing it's rabbits, not just colliexs . Bryn and my other colliex Blaze that i had (never) walked down the beam, Bryn still goes

i owned a 1st x collie greyhound that was prolific on bunnies then i introduced it to teeth and bamby and it changed in a heart beat would only chase bunnies that it knew it had a chance of catching

Not saying she is or not,but as wilf was saying i think,If my dog do`s something i dont like, i always look at all other possibility's before i blame the dog. A greyhound muscle bone lad would charge

Posted Images

If you can live with it just crack on with it if ye can't do the decent thing it don't sound injury or health related to me sounds very typical collie cross and it will get worse not better lol is it picking and choosing runs yet and stalking the beam lol if it don't jack outright this season it will next

• Like 2

Not saying she is or not,but as wilf was saying i think,If my dog do`s something i dont like, i always look at all other possibility's before i blame the dog. A greyhound muscle bone lad would charge you 15 quid to go over her.

• Like 3

any lurcher can start walk or just trot down the beam, if it (keeps) missing it's rabbits, not just colliexs . Bryn and my other colliex Blaze that i had (never) walked down the beam, Bryn still goes down like a rocket on a rabbit, because ive have tried over 5 years to make sure what ever he ran he would catch. The dogs got to think he will catch whats in front of him, and thats down to the bloke other end of the lead ., always make them a winner :yes:

sep212.jpg

• Like 12

dunno much about dogs im still learning as im on me first lurcher but maybe if you ran her with another dog that was all in she might wanna get there first and put 100% in to again :hmm:

in theory it sounds good and I've seen it tried all that happened was the dog let the other dog do all the work and became even more useless very hard to change a dog when they start and all the lads saying look for an injury the dog shouldn't be doing that at that age lol that is the age I would expect 1 to start at 4 to 5 years

I have a 4 year old 5/8 greyhound 3/8collie bitch. When out lamping she runs very half hearted on rabbits that are 30 or more yards away.Does anyone know how to stop this?

get the dog ontop before you slip its the brains of the collies they no witch rabbits are pointles in running and they no [bANNED TEXT] theyl kill

dunno much about dogs im still learning as im on me first lurcher but maybe if you ran her with another dog that was all in she might wanna get there first and put 100% in to again :hmm:

in theory it sounds good and I've seen it tried all that happened was the dog let the other dog do all the work and became even more useless very hard to change a dog when they start and all the lads saying look for an injury the dog shouldn't be doing that at that age lol that is the age I would expect 1 to start at 4 to 5 years

so its lazy dogs thats had enough really then??

Well my collie cross was game on anything other than rabbits because I was stupid an started him to young on rabbits but was always game on bambi an Charlie it is all about how u make them like if u make them easier to catch rabbits they make then easier for then collies aren't daft they know what they can catch an what they can't mine gave up all together started again as a pup and came right

good idea mate but its a collie thing there well known for it :thumbs:

I would bet my mortgage its not a health issue, it's a collie trait.

My bitch does it. If I slip her on a sitting rabbit she will trot up the beam really slowly. Once it gets up she is 100 miles an hour the same as if I slip her on something already moving.

I don't mind it at all.

Personal thing I guess.

Gaz

• Like 2

Like Weasle, I'd also go with Wilf's advice as a first port of call and make sure the dog is 100%.

After this, i'd also go with what a lot of others have said and put it down to that bad 'ol collie trait.. Now, before some jump on me for saying that, I gotta say not all collie crosses do this and I'd go further to say that i'd bet almost all 'well bred' collie crosses don't....! BUT if you have one that does, and out of the 5 collie crosses i've owned, one did, it's sommat I really don't think you can 'cure'...I certainly couldn't!!

Funny ain't it but I've known, as someone already said, a few folks who've ran pure collies on the lamp and i've never heard of one of them doing it, they all seem to fly down the beam! It always seems to be when that collie blood is mixed..??

Best of luck CG in whatever choices you make.. ;)

so its lazy dogs thats had enough really then??

nah I wouldn't say lazy I would blame it more on the dog has got to clever for its own good something I would not call a collie cross is lazy
  • Like 1