handling game

When i first came over here, i saw all kinds of tools for handling game..."you cant live handle raccoons etc"...its a load of bull shit!..confidence is a massive part of handling any wild animal, from snakes, right up to coyotes...ive handled live coon, probably hundreds of times now...you get scratched, and now and then, you might get bitten...it is part and parcel of the game.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you can't or won't handle your game then i'de say it's time to learn or time to change your chosen sport young man.

It is easy enough just grab it before you either let it run or dispatch it ....This is a trick I learned from an old lad that had dug and handled many foxes over the years is to stick a finger in its

I would prefer to shoot them in the head,lol.

Posted Images

When i first came over here, i saw all kinds of tools for handling game..."you cant live handle raccoons etc"...its a load of bull shit!..confidence is a massive part of handling any wild animal, from snakes, right up to coyotes...ive handled live coon, probably hundreds of times now...you get scratched, and now and then, you might get bitten...it is part and parcel of the game.

Ever watched Grizzly Man he had bags of confidence and Steve Irwin he had a bit too :D

• Like 1

It depends on the situation,if you dig down to an up in the face sort of terrier it is a lot easier to take hold of your quarry but if you have a bayer that doesn't mix it too much and you have a bit of a reach up to your quarry or if it up on a shelve it's chancey but a bit of a stick or the handle of the spade up for your quarry to take hold of then scruff it but blindly sticking your hand up a tube is madness but i have seen it done

• Like 2

It depends on the situation,if you dig down to an up in the face sort of terrier it is a lot easier to take hold of your quarry but if you have a bayer that doesn't mix it too much and you have a bit of a reach up to your quarry or if it up on a shelve it's chancey but a bit of a stick or the handle of the spade up for your quarry to take hold of then scruff it but blindly sticking your hand up a tube is madness but i have seen it done

I would,nt call it mad L330 i would call it f*****g stupid,why get bit when there are other means of geting the game out to be either let run or humanely disposed off,im no coward as far as handling game goes but im no johnny rambo either.

• Like 1

just curious how you guy handle your game, ive read stuff about lads on here getting them out the hole after breaking through.. not my thing really

If you can't or won't handle your game then i'de say it's time to learn or time to change your chosen sport young man.

what?

That's what I'd usually do. Though I remember about 3 seasons ago beating cover all day and just before dark we put one to ground. Old Charlie dropped into a big place and 3/4's off the lads were knackered after a long day and they dispersed saying let it go. We sat tight. Back to the van grabbed a lamp and a terrier, 7ft dig easy going, broke in and lifted the dog young lad I know well said give me that light a second jumped into the dig, one quick shine and he handed the lamp back up to us and all I could see was his body disappear up to the soles off his wellingtons !!!! RIGHT I have him.... I Jumped in and helped him out. I'll never forget it. So it can be done. few lads on here were there that day too and we had a good chuckle after.

When I started working terriers first tongs were widely used.

One thing I always noticed was that it was usually cowardly fools who had them and they can allow for severe cruelty.

Thank god they're a thing of the past.

While I agree that when quarry is to be dispatched then a firearm should be used as quickly as possible.

But not all quarry dug gets dispatched and sometimes it has to be handled before being released.

IMO if you wont or can't handle quarry then you are not up to scratch as a terrier man. Handling game is part of the job / sport.

just seen this thread on the forum and before i even open it up. i said to myself i bet that cock conney replies to this the great whitE hunter theres nothing that this man doesnt know about hunting ;of hound terriers, wheatens, bull , he knows it all. i am really looking forward to his book, cos trust me this boy loves himself that much there will be one on the shelf. COCK who the feck are you to tell anyone there not up to scratch to be a terrierman. would it not suit you better if you disagreed and kept it to your self instead of coming on here spoffing. your ego is getting the better of you son!!!!!!

Edited by stevie g 2005

One thing I always noticed was that it was usually cowardly fools who had them and they can allow for severe cruelty.

While I agree that when quarry is to be dispatched then a firearm should be used as quickly as possible.

But not all quarry dug gets dispatched and sometimes it has to be handled before being released.

IMO if you wont or can't handle quarry then you are not up to scratch as a terrier man. Handling game is part of the job / sport.

just seen this thread on the forum and before i even open it up i said to myself i bet that cock conney replies to this the great whitE hunter theres nothing that this man does know about hunting of hound terriers wheatens bull he knows it all i am really looking forward to his book cos trust me this boy loves himself that much there will be one on the shelf COCK who the feck are you to tell anyone there not up to scratch to be a terrierman would it not suit you better if you disagreed and kept it to your self instead of coming on here spoffing your ego is getting the better of you son

Oh my god ,you seem to be annoyed with Mr Cooney ,didn,t know he has a book coming out .

just seen this thread on the forum and before i even open it up i said to myself i bet that cock conney replies to this the great whitE hunter theres nothing that this man does know about hunting of hound terriers wheatens bull he knows it all i am really looking forward to his book cos trust me this boy loves himself that much there will be one on the shelf COCK who the feck are you to tell anyone there not up to scratch to be a terrierman would it not suit you better if you disagreed and kept it to your self instead of coming on here spoffing your ego is getting the better of you son

Oh my god ,you seem to be annoyed with Mr Cooney ,didn,t know he has a book coming out .

jimmy <oh my god > thats a bit girly lol just dont like fellas that think there all that i dont know if he is bringing a book out but hes the type that would loves the sound of his own vioce :yes: :yes:

Edited by stevie g 2005

Got a couple of signed ones on pre-order.