5/8 grey 3/8 collie

i have a soft spot for collie lurchers. all the dogs i have ever had have had collie in them.for the lamping/ferreting/mooching man a excellent choice. quite a few people have line bred them for years d.james rip for example. but i certainly would not discount them being crossed with another lurcher type. when i coursed hares preban my favoured cross was collie lurcher/saluki lurcher it made a biddable robust consistant hare catcher with stamina,other people have had good all rounders ie deerhound/grey x collie/grey and beddy/grey cross collie/grey to name a few.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

as will a 3/4 collie 1/4 greyhound father x a greyhound dam, thats the way mine was bred. she's 4 now and doing fine  

beardy x she is 2 doing well

just another pic [bANNED TEXT] out today

Posted Images

i have a soft spot for collie lurchers. all the dogs i have ever had have had collie in them.for the lamping/ferreting/mooching man a excellent choice. quite a few people have line bred them for years d.james rip for example. but i certainly would not discount them being crossed with another lurcher type. when i coursed hares preban my favoured cross was collie lurcher/saluki lurcher it made a biddable robust consistant hare catcher with stamina,other people have had good all rounders ie deerhound/grey x collie/grey and beddy/grey cross collie/grey to name a few.

my 1st pup in my teens was greyhound collie x greyhound whippet and my 1st dog capable of all game was greyhound collie x greyhound deerhound, like i say i want to listen to every opinion and pick the bones out for myself

ta muchly

The 5/8 3/8 can be a superb dog in the right hands. One important point to remember, this cross is really just a mixture of collie and grey so the litters will be very variable. This is more noticeable in the 3/4 crossed to 1/2 bred dog, but reverse 3/4 to a pure grey will still throw uneven at times. But even the heavier dogs are great for mooching and super ferreting and lamping dogs. They have loads of stay as well. Most can be persuaded to take fox some are naturals others need encouragement but just like any cross some just won't touch em. Some really good examples on here, thanks for the pictures. What you will produce if you breed from this cross is also a bit of pot-luck. I know two lads who put theirs back to 3/4 bred studs to try to make sure the pups were quite racey, and it worked out well but I'm not sure you would always get the right result.

The 5/8 3/8 can be a superb dog in the right hands. One important point to remember, this cross is really just a mixture of collie and grey so the litters will be very variable. This is more noticeable in the 3/4 crossed to 1/2 bred dog, but reverse 3/4 to a pure grey will still throw uneven at times. But even the heavier dogs are great for mooching and super ferreting and lamping dogs. They have loads of stay as well. Most can be persuaded to take fox some are naturals others need encouragement but just like any cross some just won't touch em. Some really good examples on here, thanks for the pictures. What you will produce if you breed from this cross is also a bit of pot-luck. I know two lads who put theirs back to 3/4 bred studs to try to make sure the pups were quite racey, and it worked out well but I'm not sure you would always get the right result.

good points mate and i suppose as breeder seeing the litter daily the odds on picking a racey one would be in your favour

good points mate and i suppose as breeder seeing the litter daily the odds on picking a racey one would be in your favour

i would be considering using a 3/4 to breed with my bitch info on how they had turnd out to be would be good just for reference ... cheers

• Like 1

IMG_0094.jpg beardy x she is 2 doing well

Thats a lovely bitch mate.

aye she's a topper have you thought about breeding her? if so to what and why?

thats a realy nice example of the cross like this bitch alot looks sharp and very aware good build atb collie x