how long into running dogs

always been a runner knocking round the house, grandfather hunted and likewise my father, grew up listening to stories of dogs and hunts, nothing like the excitement of putting up a good hare in the right field, with a fit dog, takes my breath away still , after all these years,,

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had terriers since before I can remember. First lurcher when I was 19 and that's now 26 years ago? Jesus it don't seem that long when you say it quickly eh? Had some of the best times ever with them t

Was six when my first lurcher came in, 44 now, so it's 38 years! Still gettin a buzz, still learnin too, no ones too old for that.

can remember now sitting on the stairs crying to go while my old man was getting ready ,then hed say get ya fecking boots on lol my old dear used to say hes got school in the morning but i used to allways end up going that was when i was about 8/9 lamped with the old man and his dogs, he got me my own dog at about 14 now 32 and still learn somthing new everytime i go out

Not long enough and still learning every day 1st lucher when l was 15 years old he got put down when l was 18.

Then for about year had all sorts in and out back all dirt to young to know better. Got out the game and didn't get back into till l was 28 now 32 and have 3 bitches who be here for long time l hope.

One 6 year old(sandy) her pup wont be 2 till September (sky) and another pup that wont be 1 till need off this month (Tara). :thumbs:

well theres pics of me on the wall at my mums with 2 whippets asleep on the floor next to my cot so i guess u could say all my 29 years and learn something new every week and to be honest i can never see my life with out some sort of runing dog in it :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Well lads I'm 53yrs old and grew up with terrier's and lurcher's,ferrets,guns and birds of every description,my grandad raced flapping whippets so there was always something to do in our house,my youngest lad of 21yrs is a good sportsman in his own right now and its great to see the old family way's still going on to the next generation,I loved sitting ,listening as a kid to the old way's of catching stuff,I still get excited about going out on a winter's night lamping or ferreting all day,breeding pup's,flying hawks or just a walk in the great british countryside and so long as I'm able bodied this will continue,I must say that there are a lot of us of a similar age and background on this thread and its nice to read about those of us still getting out and about,good hunting,wirralman

i was wondering how long members been in to their running dogs of any breed or cross myself ime 57 and had them all my life since a kid other than a few years when the kids were in their teens and played international table tennis and i was running them round 7 days a week for coaching so packed them in for a few years. but soon got back into it when they started work themselves .remember the first time i discovered lamping about 1976 1977 and was out every night summer and winter for a few years fog moon wind no wind it didnt make any differance i had to get out with the lamp and dogs . the only bonus age brings is making you wiser even if its only a bit lol. lets hear from otheres when they started with dogs .

im 42 now and my auld man brought in a collie grey x whippet pup when i was 9.and the best advice i ever got ...take your dog home with a good run left in him. :notworthy: needles to say i didnt always listen :icon_redface: dogs do speak,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you just need to know the body language :thumbs:

Rapidly approaching my 60th year; got my first dog, a non-ped Whippet when I was 13. Had Whippets, Saluki, Greyhound, Lurchers of all sizes, shapes and crosses ! Only had a couple of non running breeds; a Fell terrier, a Doberman, and a Lab. Have got 6 year old and 2 year old Lurchers just now. No intention of giving up dogs anytime soon ! :thumbs:

Cheers.

iv been hunting since i was around 13 from bird trapping,cattying,shooting,ferreting and beating. for the past year iv being going out with my mate and his 2 bull greyhounds and learnt alot and have really enjoyed my self. now iv move on and bought a whippet x beddy terrier which has just turned 8 month and cumming on a treat ;) im debating weather to have her out this cumming season but have been advised to wait till the following season where she will be alot more mature and strong headed what do you guys think? cheers mick :thumbs:

well i did fox hunting from being 8, obs with a horse not a running dog!! have had dogs all me life, large part springers,have had me first lurcher for over a year and the 2nd 6 months,they are just pets though, after having them i cant imagine not having 1 or a greyhound, beautiful loyal fantastically natured dogs x;-)