for the alaunt guys

I to find it hard to swallow that any dog could take a wolf single handed but in central asia they use dogs like Caucasian Ovtcharka to guarrd there livestock against primarily wolves although again im not sure of the sub species of wolf they have there as it may be of one of the smaller breeds & aparently they are good dogs, they live with the livestock all year round & put out with the goats as pups to bond with them & usually i believe there maybe afew dogs to guard the stock so obviously that throws out the single handed part but they are meant to be worth there feed out there & you have too remember these people cant often afford to feed thereselves so the dogs must be doing something right? also dogs like kangals/anatolian shepherds & sarplaniac all bred for the same reasons again i doubt they could take wolves on there own & even if they could being a farmer out there you would not want your dog to come home wounded so that put thats to bed.

They are truly some lovely large live stock breeds & i imagine if brought from the proper sources would do brilliant jobs in guarding any livestock with it life...

Edited by richard25

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jai, these days the 'experts' knock folks pictures and run you down... Most of the threads go to shit??

Go and look through threads from ten years ago and it’s like a different world on here. Folk who actually have done a bunch of hunting, having interesting discussions, and arguments about dogs and hun

I think a lot use to hunt but don't now and come on here for the crack which is what the general section is for. End of the day it's an,internet forum not worth losing sleep over ladies ??

Posted Images

I to find it hard to swallow that any dog could take a wolf single handed but in central asia they use dogs like Caucasian Ovtcharka to gaurd there liestock again primarily wolves although again im not sure of the sub species of wolf they have there as it may be of one of the smaller breeds & aparently they are good dogs, they live with the livestock all year round & put out with the goats as pups to bond with them & usually i believe there maybe afew dogs to guard the stock so obviously that throws out the single handed part but they are meant to be worth there feed out there & you have too remember these people cant often afford to feed thereselves so the dogs must be doing something right? also dogs like kangals/anatolian shepherds & sarplaniac all bred for the same reasons again i doubt they could take wolves on there own & even if they could being a farmer out there you would not want your dog to come home wounded so that put thats to bed.

They are truly some lovely large live stock breeds & i imagine if brought from the proper sources would do brilliant jobs in guarding any livestock with it life...

http://www.caucasian-ovtcharka.co.uk/

• 3 months later...

a cracking topic, one of the best

heres a old vid of syrian sheepdogs protecting their herd from wolves, dont know how they compare size wise with the wolves you have there but worth watching

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

what is thare to think about mate if the bullx is the best fox dog out thare then a dont see any reason why thay should not be tried on a 30lb coyote becouse the bullx will still be twice its weight when you think about this a terrier can kill and a terrier will be similer weights with a fox so to me a good 3/4 gray 1/4 bull should be able to catch and kill a coyote but everyone has diffrent oppinions ;)

A coyote is a HELL of a lot faster than any fox I've turned out on. Foxes can twist and turn like heck, but some coyotes are just too damn fast with stamina to match, a truly worthy quarry. I takes a fast dog to catch most coyotes.

Catchin them is definately tough cause they can move for sure and have extreme endurance. Literally they have about twice as much endurance as a fox at the same speed. I have theory though that no animal has super great enurance at their top speed but the problem is gettin a coyote to run at their top speed. You have to have a dog that can really cover ground cause you wont get an easy dump or slip on one. They dont hang around long enough to chat. Once you catch one, you must then have courage to throat one and then the strength and endurance to keep it pinned down which aint easy either. It truly is an exceptional dog that can take one single handed but most definately some of the bullcrosses might be able to do it. Some pure greyhounds can do it also though but they are the rarest of the rare.
you talk about the dogs pinning them down i always thought a dog that can shake is the better type and kills faster

A good staghound pins one to the ground and even lifts his front feet off the ground and then squeezes like hell. Some bulldogs that have learned to KILL, not just fight, do it the same way. A dog that shakes and pulls jerks the coyote away from the other dogs and someone is going to get hurt then. Remember, this is predator control, not one on one combat. We want the dog that is a finisher and takes the least stick so we can hunt him on multiple coyotes a day and again tomorrow if possible. That said, of course we all admire a dog that can do it himself, he just shouldn't HAVE to do it himself often.

I have given a few stags to some of the boys that have come over here to live and they have opened my eyes on how good a staghound can be as a lurcher type dog if raised that way, truly taking dogs I would have considered good/average and making them great with proper handling that they don't usually receive here. I used to laugh at the statement, but I am starting to believe you DO get out of a dog what you put into it, providing it is a well bred dog to start with.

A GOOD staghound is the finished product-- fast,endurance,feet like concrete, and an unrivaled punisher. But not all staghounds are great, and I can guarrantee a lot of strains have had the pit dog added and filtered over the years. I've even made a few bull x breedings and have produced good dogs that way, but in my opinion a great staghound is the pinnacle, the end product.

Thanks for that post badger. You are better with explaining than I am. The staghound is the pinnacle for sure in my opinion. The great thing is that with a tweak here or there, you can have an outstanding dog for other quarry besides the coyote. My dogs are not good fox dogs and they damn sure aint good hare dogs but with a tweak here or there, you got what you need and the outstanding part is that with another tweak here or there, you can put them right back into being coyotes dogs. I believe this is the best way to breed dogs. I dont believe in starting over every other generation. A good saluki/grey added in and you got a jack rabbit dog. A little bull/grey and you got a fox dog, its pretty nice really. Then if you want to go back to tryin to have coyote dogs, you just go back to the staghound blood and hopefully it works, if not back up and take another shot.

heres a old vid of syrian sheepdogs protecting their herd from wolves, dont know how they compare size wise with the wolves you have there but worth watching

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Ive watched this vid alot of times now, and the more i watch it i reckon its a put up job. And the wolves dont look that big, when you look at the dogs. If the wolves were like those [timber] wolves in canda, which were up to 13-14st that dog in the vid would have been [dead]. No dog [would] kill a [big] strong wolf.??

great post you started dan edwards ,the wolves you posted are just awsome a never knew they were so massive,just to enter the debate a would say there are dogs that would certainly go in to these wolves but a dont think many would still be alive after ,fantastic post by all great stuff lads .tigerdog :thumbs: !!

great post you started dan edwards ,the wolves you posted are just awsome a never knew they were so massive,just to enter the debate a would say there are dogs that would certainly go in to these wolves but a dont think many would still be alive after ,fantastic post by all great stuff lads .tigerdog :thumbs: !!

Ive watched this vid alot of times now, and the more i watch it i reckon its a put up job. And the wolves dont look that big, when you look at the dogs. If the wolves were like those [timber] wolves in canda, which were up to 13-14st that dog in the vid would have been [dead]. No dog [would] kill a [big] strong wolf.??

yes i guessed that the wolves in the vid are no where near the size of those others but still an impressive dog

I was just having fun with the aulant guys. I dont care what kind of cross works for anybody. I like hunting dogs, period. Any cross that works for you and what you do is alright by me.

is that your lass in ur photo?? n ah reckon my beddy/whippet x collie/grey wud take one of dem wolves ha ha

a dog that bites and shakes kills faster and takes less punishment back than a dog that holds, to be honest i dont think a 30lb coyote would be much of a test the test would be in the catching it in the first place

Your entire statement is completely wrong in every way but you are more than welcome to come prove all of us, who know better, wrong.