Alsation/ German shepherd cross.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not weighed him for few years, when he lamping regular, was about 88lb,  but even at that and his height 28in he  still picked rabbits easy, best bag was 38 one night, that good going for big lump lik

Yes and my opinion remains unchanged there are so many problems with the gsd now that `I really cant understand you flirting with the idea of inporting those faults into such thoughtfully bred dogs. I

Tough as iron,thick as shit in a bottle,my 1st and last shepherd.... My god I hated that dog i

Posted Images

In last weeks CMW there were some 3/8 alsation 5/8 grey pups. I think it said line bred. Just wondering, is there a greater risk of inherited problems such as hip dysplasia with these than with first crosses?

There is alot of crap GSD out there. The best working lines are not in this country, a Mal might be a better x. They dont have HD, as a bad GSD's, and they have more prey Drive than GSD. The Malxgrey would make good lurcher, but they would need a ton of work, or you could end up with a big prob of a dog :wallbash:

HD is more of a problem with the British show bred rubbish, breed average is 19, I have a dog from Belgium imports that is a 4.

Have to agree with Simoman in that Majority of GSD that suffer from Hip Displacia or Health problems are mostly show stock, i.e larched, or sloping back,slight frame,short coated black & tan.

My own Gsd are all heavily boned,flat backed,long coated,will not back down from no one,Grand parents are all German lines

It would probably be difficult to see what GSD made the make up of the Lurcher that is for sale,as has also been said there is a lot of shit GSD out there I trawled through a lot when looking for mine

I know I am extremely pleased with my GSD Lurcherpost-5621-1237399637_thumb.jpg as I have said in previous posts. post-5621-1237399610_thumb.jpg

Yes in the right hands the Malinois cross must be awesome, I just wondered about the incidence of hip problems in German Shepherd crosses.

Hi the Malinois are a great dog. We used them over the years for mixing with other breeds for agility ,obedience and guard work. Not everyone knows but with Malinois they can suffer from fits at any time up to the age of 3 years.If you are buying pups from a Malinois make sure that adult of the pups are 3years or over. Its not a frequent occurance but its in the breed.Hope I dont offend,just passing on a little info. ATB Ray

In last weeks CMW there were some 3/8 alsation 5/8 grey pups. I think it said line bred. Just wondering, is there a greater risk of inherited problems such as hip dysplasia with these than with first crosses?

Skycat on here has one of these ,and is very pleased with its intelligence and drive.

Yes and other problems like exocrine pancreatic insuffiency which would cost you around £90 a month for pills for the life of the dog etc.Also blood disorders and autoimmune probs and they prey drive if you teach them well is good.Again need a good bit of training my GSD used to catch the odd rabbit and a few foxes by mistake and she ended up with 3 different inherited problems

Yes and other problems like exocrine pancreatic insuffiency which would cost you around £90 a month for pills for the life of the dog etc.Also blood disorders and autoimmune probs and they prey drive if you teach them well is good.Again need a good bit of training my GSD used to catch the odd rabbit and a few foxes by mistake and she ended up with 3 different inherited problems

So does anyone know if any of these are passed on to the pups when crossed with a greyhound or whether they re occur if two GSD blooded lurchers are crossed?