Alsation/ German shepherd cross.

Who knows. But why take a chance dicing with all the dreadful problems that are now firmly in the GSD breed. Apart from my present bitch which is a working strain collie bitch every other dog that I have owned in a lifetime of owning dogs Has been a GSD I love the breed. If you are very lucky you might get the most wonderful Companion Dog with a temperament second to non. If you do you will think you have the best dog in the world. The probability is that you will be lucky to get this great dog past the age of 10 without a serious problem occuring. Show breeders with only one thing in mind. A good looking dog (as they see it) and the show ring for more silverware to enhance the Kennels and sell more Pups. Do you want Hip and Back problems in Running Dogs?

• Like 1

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not weighed him for few years, when he lamping regular, was about 88lb,  but even at that and his height 28in he  still picked rabbits easy, best bag was 38 one night, that good going for big lump lik

Yes and my opinion remains unchanged there are so many problems with the gsd now that `I really cant understand you flirting with the idea of inporting those faults into such thoughtfully bred dogs. I

Tough as iron,thick as shit in a bottle,my 1st and last shepherd.... My god I hated that dog i

Posted Images

6 hours ago, tomfromwest said:

Who knows. But why take a chance dicing with all the dreadful problems that are now firmly in the GSD breed. Apart from my present bitch which is a working strain collie bitch every other dog that I have owned in a lifetime of owning dogs Has been a GSD I love the breed. If you are very lucky you might get the most wonderful Companion Dog with a temperament second to non. If you do you will think you have the best dog in the world. The probability is that you will be lucky to get this great dog past the age of 10 without a serious problem occuring. Show breeders with only one thing in mind. A good looking dog (as they see it) and the show ring for more silverware to enhance the Kennels and sell more Pups. Do you want Hip and Back problems in Running Dogs?

There's plenty being bred now with no show stuff in them and without the weak back end they were getting bred for by the show types.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, gnipper said:

There's plenty being bred now with no show stuff in them and without the weak back end they were getting bred for by the show types.

Yeah I saw a lovely pair walk past me at work, definitely looked capable of work. 

4 minutes ago, gnipper said:

yes regards  the gsds they have lot of health probs true , and its only common sense  to use any dog to create  a lurcher thats healthy  to start with. Most on here know ive got 1x gsd x grey  Buck , he 9 now , he  done what i wanted , good mooching dog, great lamping dog , when he was younger run all night long no prob, so good stamina, agile for big dog, pick rabbits up easy great feet/coat  and not bad pace, he take what ever you slip him on,  all in all a good dog. Regards  HD and elbow probs that in gsds , i asked 2 vets about the above if he  the same probs, both said if did get HD and elbow probs, it wouldn't  be no where as bad as pure gsd , as he is a hybrid = mongrel . his dam  the gsd got East European dogs in her ped, that were bred as working dogs, his sire the greyhound  Razzmatzz  good distance greyhound , so he well bred dog. the only reason  i wanted the gsd x grey lucher , is ive had and got collie x greys, and ive never really got on with there temps, ive had bullxs and there been good dogs, but i found lacked stamina for long hard night, and had crap coats, but i found the temps suited me better, but thats just me, suppose looking back maybe a collie x grey x pit x grey would have been a good choise , but back then there weren't that many bred that way  15 years ago.  maybe if you wanted a gsdtype lurcher and healthy type dog maybe a bel mal x grey or a dutch herder  might  be the way to go ? but only going from on dog , get the right type gsd put that to a running dog and you get a good knock about type lurcher . o ne more thing  apart from most  sight hounds = greys, whippets , saluki's  etc , alot of other breed get bad HD / Elbow probs mid - large , i even had it in a pit bitch i had , so it not just gsds that get it   fact .

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bird said:

yes regards  the gsds they have lot of health probs true , and its only common sense  to use any dog to create  a lurcher thats healthy  to start with. Most on here know ive got 1x gsd x grey  Buck , he 9 now , he  done what i wanted , good mooching dog, great lamping dog , when he was younger run all night long no prob, so good stamina, agile for big dog, pick rabbits up easy great feet/coat  and not bad pace, he take what ever you slip him on,  all in all a good dog. Regards  HD and elbow probs that in gsds , i asked 2 vets about the above if he  the same probs, both said if did get HD and elbow probs, it wouldn't  be no where as bad as pure gsd , as he is a hybrid = mongrel . his dam  the gsd got East European dogs in her ped, that were bred as working dogs, his sire the greyhound  Razzmatzz  good distance greyhound , so he well bred dog. the only reason  i wanted the gsd x grey lucher , is ive had and got collie x greys, and ive never really got on with there temps, ive had bullxs and there been good dogs, but i found lacked stamina for long hard night, and had crap coats, but i found the temps suited me better, but thats just me, suppose looking back maybe a collie x grey x pit x grey would have been a good choise , but back then there weren't that many bred that way  15 years ago.  maybe if you wanted a gsdtype lurcher and healthy type dog maybe a bel mal x grey or a dutch herder  might  be the way to go ? but only going from on dog , get the right type gsd put that to a running dog and you get a good knock about type lurcher . o ne more thing  apart from most  sight hounds = greys, whippets , saluki's  etc , alot of other breed get bad HD / Elbow probs mid - large , i even had it in a pit bitch i had , so it not just gsds that get it   fact .

Well perhaps you were the lucky one. If he is 9 the you may well be. What do I know anyway but I personally would never breed to any pedigree dog as they just about all have there own Problems. I know dogs from the Easter Block sometimes are better but the Germans are breeding Hyena backed dogs and their Schutzen Training means nothing as far as sound temperament goes. I have had two Pups from two imported German GSD Champions. But if they were 100% the Germans would not part with them. The imports were both very beautiful and much used  both pups the ones below.

One i got rid of because he was temperamently not up to it. The other was one of the two best dogs I have ever had. Fantastic in water great with people and children and hell on wheels where other dogs were concerned. This superb Show bred male had to be put down at the age of seven years. Broke my heart. By then still a relatively young dog he was riddled with arthritis and and looked like a 12 year old or even more. The oldest Shepherd I have owned lived to 12 before cancer got him. His hips were good. He was from working strain. He had elbow displasia developed before 12 months and the vet said I could not jump him. He was a lovely dog my wife took him over and I got one of the dogs  mentioned before. the one that lasted 7 years. Bad news Shepherds. I look at a beautiful young dog now and think an accident waiting to happen.

2 hours ago, bird said:

If you could put him over a bitch Ray what type would it be? 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, bird said:

Well honestly just because other breeds have been used that suffer from it  is no reason to carry on doing the same with the German Shepherd.

1 hour ago, gaza said:

If you could put him over a bitch Ray what type would it be? 

Not to sure, maybe bullx whippet x grey type, he give better coat, good feet, and stamina, like always said you carnt beat lurcherx lurcher type, 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Greb147 said:

Looks close to being a hundred weyt. 

Not weighed him for few years, when he lamping regular, was about 88lb,  but even at that and his height 28in he  still picked rabbits easy, best bag was 38 one night, that good going for big lump like him, he was bred for bigger things, which his  size came in very handy. Pity they get old, but had some good nights with him deff ?

• Like 7
  • 4 weeks later...
On 22/03/2009 at 21:08, heart of wales said:

Skycats pup is First Cross Gsd x Greyhound Dam GSD Sire Greyhound

In my opinion inherrent problems are a result of mainly irresponsible greedy midless showbreeders who think it benifits the breed be it Gsd Lab pekineese to look uniformed in their apperance regaurdless of what the dog works or performs like.

You are spot on and put it very well. the British Bull Dog is a lovely dog but just look at what they have done to it. They set the standard, Broad chest Flat face Bowed legs. The breeders set out to breed the flatest face the broadest chest and so on. Another example Pekinese, Sharpei, King Charles Spaniel. The list just goes on an on. The GSD bears little resemblance to the dog that Von Stephanitz created and he must be spinning like a top in his grave. I dont know about the Mal. As far as inherited faults go. If i was a young Man I would love to give one a go.