Welding tips hints tricks an how too

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think I remember that when you were a welder lol 

Borr is your man Francie, i have to say it but he is the bollocks as a welder, I know first hand... 

I thought the same but having looked through his portfolio it’s quite clear that mc Hull is the real deal 

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, pesky1972 said:

Staring at a green bead for the next 40 years. Might as well shoot the wee blighter now and save him the misery. 

Funny enough I did go to college to become a welder but sat in the shop one beautiful summers day in a boiler suit, riggers hat and gloves I suddenly realised I wouldn’t survive so I walked out and become a spread instead 

1 hour ago, pesky1972 said:

Staring at a green bead for the next 40 years. Might as well shoot the wee blighter now and save him the misery. 

Started at 16 and just retired at christmas you've just described my life 😂 

• Haha 6

My lad is in college learning to be a car mechanic..he said he was doing some mig welding a few weeks back so I said take a few pics so I can see..

Good luck to your lad Francie nice to see a youngster showing keen..

IMG-20240312-WA0000.jpg.77d4998d75283de15bba8cd338dedf68.jpg

• Like 5
9 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

Hope your lad makes it his career mate. The son in law has made a decent living out of it and works for a local engineering firm that does high end work for the MOD though he has been offered job's in different parts of the world but with being a good family man chooses to work near home. Though I do keep nagging them both to emigrate to Canada for a better life than what the UK can offer with his skills. 

there's plenty of welding job vacancies here across Canada at the moment, there are different levels of welding with some companies paying a normal wage like a tradesman, right up to red seal at a six figure + salary, plus a lot of companies add a benefits plan like medical/dentist/optician etc...at whatever deal they are offering....Alberta is a very good province to live in, you get the best bang for your buck there at only 5% tax and they love English workers....lol....and the woman there love the English accent...lol...I've had woman go weak at the knees just talking to them....lol....lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
5 minutes ago, Chid said:

ive got a few bits to do in this next month a few tanks and air filter housings on some crossers out aluminium i’ll put a few bits up when i’m doing it 

won’t need x raying 😂 it isn’t pass after pass on an inch thick tube 

but tig welding aluminium isn’t welding aye lol 

It suits me , there's so many avenues and industries. Different processes and materials, ships, oil and gas, food process, aerospace car restoration , film sets , all sorts. I avoid cars , like mchull says not easy, either rust paint or paper thin ,normally all of the above. The trades around welding are worth looking at too, platers, fitters, fabricators, inspectors , commissioning engineers, cad. I'll be looking for an avenue off the tools in a year or two, had enough or the light, eyes aren't what they were five years ago, I enjoy some of what I do more the fitting side of late, especially when it fits lol. I'm looking at a job tomorrow that builds structures for cruise ships, but might be too short term unfortunately. Anyway happy velding

• Like 5

I have always wondered what the health issues are with welding though i would think with modern masks and breathing aids it would be limited. I remember years ago when i worked on demolition and I had the chance to be taught oxytetracycline burning but declined as every so often the burners had to have blood tests to see if there was lead in the blood due to fumes breathed in. 

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

I have always wondered what the health issues are with welding though i would think with modern masks and breathing aids it would be limited. I remember years ago when i worked on demolition and I had the chance to be taught oxytetracycline burning but declined as every so often the burners had to have blood tests to see if there was lead in the blood due to fumes breathed in. 

Who did ya work for on demo mate  ,, our paths must have crossed  at some point 

14 minutes ago, wildman said:

Who did ya work for on demo mate  ,, our paths must have crossed  at some point 

The firm I was offered to learn burning and to go on the asbestos was from Mansfield called De Tech Environmental a bunch of cowboys tbh I did not stay long and went back into construction. The money for working on asbestos removal was a joke with this firm in the 90s and a lot of their work was working away and the money was shite for working away. 

1 minute ago, tatsblisters said:

The firm I was offered to learn burning and to go on the asbestos was from Mansfield called De Tech Environmental a bunch of cowboys tbh I did not stay long and went back into construction. The money for working on asbestos removal was a joke with this firm in the 90s and a lot of their work was working away and the money was shite for working away. 

Why am I not surprised they were cowboys...from my home town..lol

• Haha 1