British pike record goes at chew valley Ames near Bristol

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Will put it in the fishing section as well but chew valley res near Bristol has just done the British record 

Yeah...McHull was holding it!! Lol

I used to trim cork to the shape of a chum mixer for surface fishing, it’s all I used. Had fish to 30lb off the top that way, used to do a lot of surface fishing because frankly, other people did

Posted Images

On 13/02/2024 at 19:59, WILF said:

Funny you say about bait mate because I always had an interest in how to bait and to what effect.

I was lucky in that I used to get field testers rates so I could use it as I wanted.

In all the things I have been watching and reading on pike, nobody has used bait to create an attraction area for bait fish !……..I’m thinking a decent particle mix of small seeds coupled with chopped or blended fish as you suggest on clear patches up the side of weed beds may be an idea ? 

I have also been looking at under water footage of how pike take dead bait and paying attention to the mechanics of how they take bottom bait compared to suspended etc so that will dictate rigs/presentation etc 
We will see…..it’s just applying things you know to other things really. 

Fish master general 

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, steve66 said:

Remember this afew years back , 53lb pike found dead in margin , up near Ripon 

28802324-0-image-a-99_1590420324372.jpg

Wasn't that fish left on the bank for mink and badgers to eat I think they did the same with all dead fish found at that fishery my mate fishes loch lomond  for pike he said a pike bigger than was caught at Bristol was caught at lomond  but didn't get recognised as a record  that was caught in the 50s but he has lost fish that dwarfed his 32 record  he said were there were a lot of mid 40s  out of lomond to be had  and a couple of trout lakes near by hold serious fish   But a place called bala he reconds he's seen mid 50s and bigger and that's the next place to break a record 

Edited by Blackmag
  • Like 2
On 13/02/2024 at 15:27, WILF said:

Never done any Pike fishing to speak of, couple of small ones many years ago but Carp were my thing.

However, I have been researching them a bit because I miss my carp fishing and there’s no carp here…..Pike are the biggest thing that swim in the lakes and rivers here so I thought “why not ?” 
And there’s a bit more to it than cast a dead bait and hope as I always believed, that got me interested.

I know they are a traditional winter species but can be fished for all year round so I’m going to have a f**k about when the wether breaks a bit….Neville’s have new battery’s (9 years since they were used and the battery still worked in 2 of them !!) 

The lakes here suit me because they are huge, if they had carp they would be perfect !……the nearest are 870 acres & 3000 acres respectively.

Anyway, it will be a new thing to try.

talking of huge lakes, when i worked in Yellowknife in the northwest terrortries we went fishing almost every evening after work (piking) in a lake called the....great slave lake....it was 291 miles long (469km), by 126 miles at the widest (203km), and 2014ft deep (614m), also when i drove from the west coast to the east coast (Canada) at some point i was driving along side lake superior which is the largest freshwater lake in the world by surface area which holds 10% of the worlds surface freshwater...anyway, i was driving round that lake for hours...it's 350miles long!!!...is that big enough for your carp...lol...just thought i would ask...lol 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, tillylamp said:

talking of huge lakes, when i worked in Yellowknife in the northwest terrortries we went fishing almost every evening after work (piking) in a lake called the....great slave lake....it was 291 miles long (469km), by 126 miles at the widest (203km), and 2014ft deep (614m), also when i drove from the west coast to the east coast (Canada) at some point i was driving along side lake superior which is the largest freshwater lake in the world by surface area which holds 10% of the worlds surface freshwater...anyway, i was driving round that lake for hours...it's 350miles long!!!...is that big enough for your carp...lol...just thought i would ask...lol 

Canada has 880,000 lakes, more than all other countries combined but no real carp fishing culture even though places like St Lawrence river have plenty of carp. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, tillylamp said:

Was on superior in 92, sailing, it acts and behaves like an ocean, if you fall in you dont have long until the hypothermia sets in, caught some amount of fish in it

• Like 4
7 hours ago, mackem said:

Canada has 880,000 lakes, more than all other countries combined but no real carp fishing culture even though places like St Lawrence river have plenty of carp. 

yes, loads of lakes as you say, the good part is you can go fishing in a lot of them for free and when you want to, i was watching a fishing program a while back and pretty sure they were fishing the St Lawrence river (Ontario) for carp, they were as dedicated as the English at it as well....they had some decent fish out, 20lb+....and there are carp in there at 50lb+...apparently it is getting more popular there now with campsite setups to book your get away carp fishing, an people from Europe and the uk are going there more often now.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Lenmcharristar said:

Was on superior in 92, sailing, it acts and behaves like an ocean, if you fall in you dont have long until the hypothermia sets in, caught some amount of fish in it

these big lakes do act different than your usual lakes, i've seen white horses rolling to the shore line just like the sea.....there are 550 wrecks on lake superior and the biggest was the SS Edmund Fitzgerald which went down in a storm, it was 729ft long and 75ft wide, shows you how these waters act like the ocean....

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, tillylamp said:

these big lakes do act different than your usual lakes, i've seen white horses rolling to the shore line just like the sea.....there are 550 wrecks on lake superior and the biggest was the SS Edmund Fitzgerald which went down in a storm, it was 729ft long and 75ft wide, shows you how these waters act like the ocean....

Seen a documentary on that, they reckon the waves were so big that the ship simply nosedived into the bottom of the lake or something like that ?

6 minutes ago, WILF said:

Seen a documentary on that, they reckon the waves were so big that the ship simply nosedived into the bottom of the lake or something like that ?

well, i did read a piece about this and the write up was saying that it was a low slung boat to start off with and the...10's of thousands tons of cargo didn't help....but, apparently a storm in the fall into winter are much more stronger than any other time....the waves out there must of been pretty big to take the number of big ships down i would have thought mate, with storms being the number one cause of these wrecks....it's mind blowing driving round these waters and after hours and hours and hours you remind yourself....it's a lake....lol

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tillylamp said:

We stayed on an island in superior and were able to see a wreck below us in the water, the water was crystal clear

• Like 3
2 hours ago, tillylamp said:

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Blackmag said:

Wasn't that fish left on the bank for mink and badgers to eat I think they did the same with all dead fish found at that fishery my mate fishes loch lomond  for pike he said a pike bigger than was caught at Bristol was caught at lomond  but didn't get recognised as a record  that was caught in the 50s but he has lost fish that dwarfed his 32 record  he said were there were a lot of mid 40s  out of lomond to be had  and a couple of trout lakes near by hold serious fish   But a place called bala he reconds he's seen mid 50s and bigger and that's the next place to break a record 

Bala is a trout fishery in North Wales