Consistently low numbers of rabbits this year

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm quite fortunate got a couple nice pieces of land that hold good numbers of rabbit, and I only take them with lurchers and ferrets and never feel the need for to play the numbers game

No never, no when your getting specimens like this

One thing rabbits just cannot handle, is the wet AND the cold,...combined...... They can take one or the other,...but continuous soaking, day in, day out,...never being able to get dry and warm,.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, fred90 said:

if ferreting is that good mate, how do you explain numbers in the dales year in year out? 

are the numbers the same year in and out ? i’ve spots i pop on outskirts and they ain’t what they were 20 year ago by any means 

• Like 1
Just now, mC HULL said:

are the numbers the same year in and out ? i’ve spots i pop on outskirts and they ain’t what they were 20 year ago by any means 

I don't know, only going on the numbers posted on here and YouTube. if it was down to ferreting wouldn't the population have crashed years ago. 

• Like 3

We used to travel miles for ferreting and certainly put some rabbits away but maybe because im older and there less rabbits i like the slower pace , The first thing i do when i see all the pictures of rabbits on the net is count the bodies then average the number of rabbits out  There getting a few but no great numbers each 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

id say it’s the ferreters mate i’ve had spots here always good for a few then a divvy with a spade nets and ferrets and a collar decimates it ten year on still barren 

better a little ferret bolts a few for dogs a bit a sport 

Id say the  weather affects the rabbit numbers more than anything else mate.... I know places where no one really goes,Ive dropped live rabbits from all over there,for 15 yrs or more,some yrs there's good numbers,when the weather been shite,they thin on the ground 👍

• Like 2

We hear it every season, but there's so many pressures.. night vision, airgunners , ferrets and the possible spread of myxi vhd , increase in predators bops especially, foxes , badgers, mink stoats weasels, cats, weather I'd say is a big one, suitable habitat, foot traffic has been a big one near me I think the pressure of hundreds more dog walkers pressures them off ground and food sources. Not sure why all these empty fields near me don't see a pair of eyes anywhere, more likely see a deer than a rabbit tbh.

1 hour ago, fred90 said:

I don't know, only going on the numbers posted on here and YouTube. if it was down to ferreting wouldn't the population have crashed years ago. 

it’s big land there mate perfect habitat aint it and the old boy first took me said 70s it was heaving and there was plenty the first time he took me 

when your taking them all digging them out it’s going to have a massive effect even more so land local that don’t hold as many 

52 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Id say the  weather affects the rabbit numbers more than anything else mate.... I know places where no one really goes,Ive dropped live rabbits from all over there,for 15 yrs or more,some yrs there's good numbers,when the weather been shite,they thin on the ground 👍

weather is better now then 50 year ago mate proper winters then weren’t they 

I think it's like anything depends where you live. Places that have a good population always seem to remain so but places where there arent many it's easy to wipe them out.

I'm lucky and have plenty to go at  , had 540 this year so far but not out after them all the time. 

Rabbit control is pest control and farmers want them shot all year round especially Spring and Summer to protect crops . 

I can just imagine saying to my farmers that I will leave them for Winter, soon lose the ground.

The humble bunny is very resilient and will still be here when we are all pushing up Daisy's.

20230817_211225.jpg

20230818_084953.jpg

• Like 3

One thing rabbits just cannot handle, is the wet AND the cold,...combined......

They can take one or the other,...but continuous soaking, day in, day out,...never being able to get dry and warm,.. weakens them terribly....🙄

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 8

Most of us started rabbiting shame now take couple grandkids out but can’t get great numbers say half a dozen but the kids really enjoy it I love it but I know a lot of air gun lads smash it summertime never hear a word off them come winter they f*ck of scrambling they wind me up c*nts

• Like 4

I have never ever seen it as bad around here for rabbit numbers another reason i wont contemplate getting another lurcher. Like has been said disease must be the main factor though i have noticed a big rise in buzzard numbers also the technoligy used now days by shooters at night must be having an impact on numbers were rabbits that had become lamp shy now their is no need to put a lamp on them to get a shot off in darkness.

• Like 4