Harkila coats

11 minutes ago, WILF said:

I reckon you’d pick up a decent Barbour from eBay, but I’d always say avoid wax which I’m sure everyone knows.

I had the Le Chamou wellies but your socks always slip down in them, neoprene don’t give you that problem imho mate.

My neoprene didn’t do too bad, but my Mindl boots are the best thing I ever bought…..16 years old and still going strong.

There’s some good kit to be had for reasonable money now and because our climate is so temperate and different on different days it’s really a question of having a few bits you can turn to imho 

January in Angus is not the same a January in Surrey…..I think that’s worth keeping in mind when buying kit from manufacturers based in climates where you have solid extremes….like the artic circle. 
They are making clothes for a whole different set of circumstances.

Always had Altberg boots, combined with sealskinz waterproof socks and a pair of gators, they are hard to beat, The good thing about the jacket is the fleece liner is removable and can be worn on its own, So two coats for the price of one Lol. Good outdoor trousers are another subject altogether mate Lol

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Carpe diem,you want that coat,you NEED that coat,don’t talk yourself out of it,I knew when I saw your opening post “shall I get it?” YES get the coat,be decisive,you actually like that coat,you know y

Looks a cracking coat....  But imagine snagging it on barbed wire 1st time out, I reckon I'd actually cry... Lol

I'm as tight as cramp. I've been stalking on the estate my mate works on and sleeping on his couch. One of my mates put on a group chat "I'll be surprised if he's wearing his own clothes"...... I look

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, WILF said:

Didn’t buy off some lads driving a green Four Track with a couple of lamps and a bellman & Flint locator and 2 collars in the back did you ? Lol 

Amazing bit of kit mate, never hot walking, never cold in the back of a pickup doing countless miles in winter….brilliant. 

What one like this Wilf lol great memories of this truck would go anywhere.

IMG_0637.jpeg.973e5a72940c4b1451b60ab2acd08d56.jpeg

• Thanks 1
59 minutes ago, paulus said:

f**k that £44, Went to asda yesterday with the Mrs, Picked up this little turkey crown 1.3kg feeds 2 to 3 it said on the label. Got to the checkout and i said to the women how much is that Turkey crown, she scans it and says £13.50 sir, i told her to get someone to stick it back in the freezer. 

Happy Christmas Ebenezer 

• Haha 5
5 minutes ago, paulus said:

Always had Altberg boots, combined with sealskinz waterproof socks and a pair of gators, they are hard to beat, The good thing about the jacket is the fleece liner is removable and can be worn on its own, So two coats for the price of one Lol. Good outdoor trousers are another subject altogether mate Lol

A Good Samaritan from these sites, who prefers to remain anonymous and hide his philanthropy, largesse, and leading role in “care in the community” behind a facade of toughness, laddishness and, frankly, misanthropy, helped out a poor old pensioner, (me !), by sending two pairs of Altberg Defender boots, one summer lightweight cambrelle  lined and one pair of heavyweight gortex lined , but , being charitable, I think he forgot to include the sealskin socks !

Still, I pray for his soul, he’s a good lad really ! 
Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, paulus said:

Did you have any problems with the soles on your altbergs mate ?

I’ve had a few pairs and they wore something shocking, probably don’t help that after years of football and doing loads of miles on my feet I’m so bow legged I couldn’t stop a pig in an alley ! Lol

Also had another pair just “corrode” for want of a better word, these were a mixture of the desert boots and the standard army issue leather boots.

I wear the haix desert boots everyday. Normally do one pair a year. I use a pair of wellies from decathlon, decent neoprene ones, really good grip soles on em. I stalked all day in snow and ice the other day on massive hills and they are spot on. I prefer em to le chameu any day. Think they only cost 50-70 quid. 

Photo to show where I wore em all day...grip fine, warm and good to walk in. Will take a photo of em tomorrow. 

Edited to say they have been in use for a full year as I bought em this time last year for coursing in Ireland. Even worn em on the plane 😂

PXL_20231206_134753294.jpg

Edited by DIDO.1
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, DIDO.1 said:

I wear the haix desert boots everyday. Normally do one pair a year. I use a pair of wellies from decathlon, decent neoprene ones, really good grip soles on em. I stalked all day in snow and ice the other day on massive hills and they are spot on. I prefer em to le chameu any day. Think they only cost 50-70 quid. 

Photo to show where I wore em all day...grip fine, warm and good to walk in. Will take a photo of em tomorrow 

PXL_20231206_134753294.jpg

I was looking at those decathlon wellies mate, be interested to see those….cheers 

53 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

I been wearing game trousers this season cheap as chips not to worried if I rip them on wire etc 

Are those the waterproof ones mate ? I had a couple pairs years ago and was always bone dry they were only about £25 back then 

6 minutes ago, WILF said:

I was looking at those decathlon wellies mate, be interested to see those….cheers 

Got a pair a few weeks ago can't fault them mate for the money very comfortable for walking in and with a two year guarantee on them. I got those that zip up a mate who goes beating twice a week rates them aswell. 

• Like 1

I love the Harkila gear and have a few bits. It’s expensive stuff but does the job and as I’ve get older, luckily I’m able to afford such things. I sold their pro Hunter jacket two years ago and regretted it almost straight away. I’ve since bought the next version of the same jacket at a great price, expensive but not as expensive as what they’re going for now. Go for it fella, and have no regrets 👍🏻

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, WILF said:

What ones do you have mate ?

Just the bog standard non lined ones. I wear boots for everything but always handy to have some wellies for kennels or the odd dog walk. The decathlon jobys didn’t even stand up to that. Shame because they were comfy.

Edited by Born Hunter