R.I.P Shane

Most the lads n the band were English born. I think it wouldn't have happened if they were born and bred in Ireland. Somehow the mix of punk/ traditional Irish music worked, and resonated with a lot of people. 

• Like 1

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've just been listening to rainy night in soho . It's a song that I used to sing to my late wife. It made me smile , but also brought a tear to my eye.

Absolute  Legend https://news.sky.com/story/the-pogues-star-shane-macgowan-best-known-for-christmas-hit-fairytale-of-new-york-dies-at-65-13008760

Maybe...but theres not  many 'junkies' with the coin he would of had ...or the legacy he leaves his kids etc ...very well thought of in the Emerald Isle and around the world... so have a day off pal👍

39 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

Most the lads n the band were English born. I think it wouldn't have happened if they were born and bred in Ireland. Somehow the mix of punk/ traditional Irish music worked, and resonated with a lot of people. 

I watched a documentary on Shane a few years ago, The Great Hunger. A commentator said that the Pogues could never have happened in Ireland. At that time, according to the commentator, Ireland was trying to re-invent itself and wanted to distance from the image of the navvy and the drunken Irishman. Shane and the Pogues where considered an embarrassment and a reminder of a past that many wanted to forget. It took a while them to be appreciated and Shane to be welcomed as one of their own and a talent to be proud of. According to the documentary. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, eastcoast said:

I watched a documentary on Shane a few years ago, The Great Hunger. A commentator said that the Pogues could never have happened in Ireland. At that time, according to the commentator, Ireland was trying to re-invent itself and wanted to distance from the image of the navvy and the drunken Irishman. Shane and the Pogues where considered an embarrassment and a reminder of a past that many wanted to forget. It took a while them to be appreciated and Shane to be welcomed as one of their own and a talent to be proud of. According to the documentary. 

I think there was some truth to that, but mostly from the media and older generation. Young lads of my generation loved the band. Most didn't even like Irish music, but were drawn to their music. He was brought onto Irish talks shows (one in particular) and was somewhat ridiculed, and almost shamed for his addictions His father Morris, was in the audience of this show on several  occasions, and stood up for Shane, and dammed if was gonna let them rip Shane apart.

• Like 1

It's a kind of Irish trait that they forgive and celebrate their heroes no matter how low they sink. I'm thinking of Shane and George Best. They both destroyed themselves and yet they were both gifted artists in  their particular fields.

14 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

It's a kind of Irish trait that they forgive and celebrate their heroes no matter how low they sink. I'm thinking of Shane and George Best. They both destroyed themselves and yet they were both gifted artists in  their particular fields.

Think the same can be said for most countries . Everybody loves a flawed genius,  Gazza in England etc 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, EDDIE B said:

2 hours ago, eastcoast said:

38 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

23 minutes ago, Welsh_red said:

Think the same can be said for most countries . Everybody loves a flawed genius,  Gazza in England etc 

Does it really matter where he was born?

The edge, U2,  both his parents were welsh, from Llanelli.  He was born in England 1961 then they moved to Ireland 1962.

So f***ing what!!

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, shaaark said:

The edge, U2,  both his parents were welsh, from Llanelli.  He was born in England 1961 then they moved to Ireland 1962.

So f***ing what!!

Yea but Bono's a c**t😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
17 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

Yea but Bono's a c**t😂

So what?!!  Lol

U2, one of the biggest, most successful bands of all time.

I don't think he'd give the slightest f**k who didn't like him.

Edited by shaaark
13 minutes ago, shaaark said:

So f***ing what!!

Exactly, Cliff Richard was born in India... sometimes it's as though Devil Woman had never been written!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
37 minutes ago, shaaark said:

So f***ing what!!

Who the fck would admit to being Welsh....😂

• Haha 2
14 hours ago, Bakerboy said:

Who the fck would admit to being Welsh....😂

Not me, mate.

95% of my dam's line is Irish, and about 75% of my sire's line is Englitch, ENGLITCH!!!  Can barely live it down!!  😄 👍

Edited by shaaark
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, shaaark said:

Hardest mouthed dog I've ever owned, was a 1st cross whippet/greyhound, without doubt!!

I would match you against a collie grey I bought for my son from Hancock. Bite like a  crocodile. She delivered rabbits diced and minced.

• Haha 1