Has anyone…

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who ate that, Topcat? 

The ponds you see in big farm house gardens and larger houses are called stew ponds and they were living larders from a time when we were god fearing christians that ate fish on a friday, carp and per

True, zander are prized, but the 'No Kill' attitude is a lot more common. Eaten catfish a couple of times, 1st time was at a hunt repas, hot in a creamy tomatoe sauce & was handsome. 2nd time

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, Councilestatekid said:

Wouldn't go down well over here eating a 25lb carp haha. 

Trash fish here mate,no one bats an eyelid if someone knocks a carp on the head,I remember Chris Tarrant came over fishing for the totally wild carp in the St Lawrence,his mate had an adventure fishing company promoting the place to Brit carp anglers.

9 hours ago, mackem said:

Trash fish here mate,no one bats an eyelid if someone knocks a carp on the head,I remember Chris Tarrant came over fishing for the totally wild carp in the St Lawrence,his mate had an adventure fishing company promoting the place to Brit carp anglers.

Did he ask a friend if he could deploy the priest? 

Carp carp carp

I've eaten many a perch when I was a young lad. Makes for lovely eating. White meat, and chunky like cod. We'd skin them, (very easy do with a perch) and cut off fins with a scissors. Fry on the pan in butter, or dip in batter, and fry in oil. 

Also had Jack pike. Bones are a b*****d, but tasted great. Best I had was on a BBQ,, at my brother in laws. Not sure what he had on it, but definitely some lemon.

Had many an eel, and they are superb, but got to be wriggling on the pan, and tried roach once. The roach tasted like dirt.

When it comes to pike and perch, they must come from a good fresh flowing stream/river.

12 hours ago, mushroom said:

Was that any good?

@mel b what did barbel taste like? I can’t imagine eating it if I’m honest  :laugh:

I remember it being a bit bland , and sort of like whiting in texture , but it's been over 40 years since I ate it.

I'll have a go at eating most things , but I don't think I'd fancy it these days.

French are or were anyway mad for zander, best of both pike and perch?

Had massive amount of red signal crayfish appeared round here about 10 years ago in local lake. At first we liquidised them and mixed with groundbait, mate would keep them alive in tub with a small air pump and fed garlic cloves to purge guts when they're shite was white they were self marinated and ready for bbq.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Chaff said:

Had massive amount of red signal crayfish appeared round here about 10 years ago in local lake. At first we liquidised them and mixed with groundbait, mate would keep them alive in tub with a small air pump and fed garlic cloves to purge guts when they're shite was white they were self marinated and ready for bbq.

I pull signal crays straight out the lake and into a pan of boiling water no need for anything else apart from a jar of 1000 islands sauce to dip them in, have ate most other forms of course fish as well all just cooked on the fire as a kid all bland boney white meat with the exception of zander that is actually very similar to bass 👍👍

• Like 1

Was chatting a Polish girl one time. She told me how they cook coarse fish. They boil it up, and then strip the meat off the bone. They then use it like we use minced meat. Add sauces, herbs, spices etc. Often wondered how they could eat stuff like tench, carp etc.

1 hour ago, Chaff said:

True, zander are prized, but the 'No Kill' attitude is a lot more common.

Eaten catfish a couple of times, 1st time was at a hunt repas, hot in a creamy tomatoe sauce & was handsome. 2nd time was cold in mayo & was okish. Got one I need to remove from the lake, so it may be harvested, but ill probably re-locate it.

Eaten loads of crayfish out of my lake, just grab the middle tail fin and twist 90% ish left then right, it dislocates, then slowly pull & all the unnecessary comes out - no need to purge. Gonna knock up a lobster type trap for them next year.

• Like 4