Shits??

3 minutes ago, Runner96 said:

Do many people feed raw game? Venison, rabbit, pheasant? Is it as beneficial as fatty meats like lamb and beef? In the shooting season I have access to as much pheasant, partridge and duck as  I want, but what’s peoples opinions on feeding dogs game that contain lead shot? 

Get your self a metal detector 👍

• Haha 1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old dogs are often like old Hunting Men...😃 As time goes by, their ability to cope with Meat Bones and Raw flesh sometimes dimishes... For that reason, I now feed all my Veteran rabbiters on

Mine did that and the vet said I had 2 wean the dog off by giving it diminishing amounts of margarine for 2 weeks then stop ,well after 2 weeks dog still had the shits so back 2 the vet who looked sho

All My dogs will eat whats put out in front of them bar the 1 terrier,wont entertain kidneys,dirty bitch prefers to f***ing pick it out the bowl and roll in it 🙄... I only feed them game thats be

Posted Images

8 hours ago, bird said:

Right, don't know if anybody dog similar to Buck, regards  the shits. I've been feeding 1lb rawmince chicken, and bit of biscuit for years. Both him and old Bryn that I had same food, always eat well, plenty of energy etc, the 1st shit norm type stool, the next sloppy, and if another, sloppy. It norm type brand (arkwright) chicken, 19 % protein  and norm  other stuff, with cereals. Now   I always thought lot lurchers are bit like  them, bit loose etc. Buck old now he 11, he OK just old dog, i told my vet that he gets bit loose and some times there like a small clear type bag that comes out as well, she said from the colon, and raw mince chicken prob up setting stomach, said cook it to kill any bacteria well I've started doing that, and still bit loose, so it prob the meal. She a good vet, husband a farmer, she knows about working dogs,. So what I do now is give him the cooked  minced chicken   but feed with boiled rice that aways helps him. I just wonder if anybody know  biscuit (meal) that's more dogs with sensitive guts.  Thanks. Ray

Don't know if you've got an agent nearby Ray, but you could give this a try 

CSJ_Complete_Tri_4fd99dca53164 (1).jpg

8 hours ago, bird said:

Thanks, any idea where, or what brands that might be? I was going to type in a meal for sensitive stomach s etc,  I think read few years ago that some gsds are bit prone to sensitive guts, well he 1/2 gsd, but old Bryn my collie x grey was bit similar as well. The wife having look on her phone now as well, for   brand sensitive guts. 

My old dog has  never been food orientated but he's  become really fussy of late.

My daughter   sent off his details to this company,who tailored a mix to match his age, health , activity etc.

She had an introductory voucher so it only cost a couple of quid for a decent sized bag.

The dog actually eats them too!

I suppose  you vould always fallback on the old fashioned remedy of charcoal biscuits.

20230917_213205.jpg

I feel better reading this thread as one of my current dogs can be sensitive, it's not unusual as they get older. Only thing I'd add into consideration for old lurchers is cheap frozen white fish boiled briefly and flaked in. I use a lot of cooked chicken, various kibble that I know works (none cheap), rice and raw game. I like the idea of all raw but the difficulty knowing where it really comes from makes me hesitate 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Luckee legs said:

I feel better reading this thread as one of my current dogs can be sensitive, it's not unusual as they get older. Only thing I'd add into consideration for old lurchers is cheap frozen white fish boiled briefly and flaked in. I use a lot of cooked chicken, various kibble that I know works (none cheap), rice and raw game. I like the idea of all raw but the difficulty knowing where it really comes from makes me hesitate 

Chicken mince I think has too much bone in it. Cooked chick and rice worked for mine to get I nice shiny solid stool. 

Fed that a few times when mine had squits I used to think it reset the guts after a week of feeding.

Then I'd try different food always inspecting what came out back 😃👍

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Not a fan of feeding too much minced chicken...find it blocks the dogs up,and I'm doing their glands every few months🤢

Old Buck is getting on now ,maybe try him on some of the brands that do a 'Senior' range in wet food and biscuits maybe?

Thanks Dan,  I gave him raw mince chicken I've cooked, and boiled rice with bit of gravy and few veg. Went this  morning to his kennel/ run, very loose again. Now  I know you have try gamble what's doing what, I think it's the raw mince chicken, don't see how boiled rice and bit gravy /veg do it.?  I've been to my vet, just got back, checked him all over, checked anal glands, OK, his prostate, bit swollen, but she said his age 11,  it is I old dogs. I told her when was younger and worked him, he always be  OK 1st shit, then get more loose from each time he went. I told iam getting and trying her meal that not got wheat in it and more  for sensitve  gut, don't come till Friday, and going to stop the chicken, and try either beef or lamb, but only small amounts, he don't lot of food now, I keep up with rice and gravy bit more  veg. She gave tabs, and jab  see how goes till Friday, cost £ 82 quid, but as said she is a good vet, she knows score working dogs, she  used ask me when he was younger, if  still exercising  old Charlie when out I said  if I see them good she said, we both had laugh lol, so I've got these tabs to get through, and see how his then. Plus  new food🤔

• Like 1
On 17/09/2023 at 12:42, bird said:

Right, don't know if anybody dog similar to Buck, regards  the shits. I've been feeding 1lb rawmince chicken, and bit of biscuit for years. Both him and old Bryn that I had same food, always eat well, plenty of energy etc, the 1st shit norm type stool, the next sloppy, and if another, sloppy. It norm type brand (arkwright) chicken, 19 % protein  and norm  other stuff, with cereals. Now   I always thought lot lurchers are bit like  them, bit loose etc. Buck old now he 11, he OK just old dog, i told my vet that he gets bit loose and some times there like a small clear type bag that comes out as well, she said from the colon, and raw mince chicken prob up setting stomach, said cook it to kill any bacteria well I've started doing that, and still bit loose, so it prob the meal. She a good vet, husband a farmer, she knows about working dogs,. So what I do now is give him the cooked  minced chicken   but feed with boiled rice that aways helps him. I just wonder if anybody know  biscuit (meal) that's more dogs with sensitive guts.  Thanks. Ray

Have you tried added probiotic powder? Helps a lot with sensitive digestive systems. Also, maybe the sharp bones in minced chicken (assuming you get it as a pet food?) could be irritating his gut. Just a couple of thoughts. Old guts don't always manage to cope with the same food they've done fine on for years.

• Like 2