Produce your own.........

1 hour ago, steve t said:

Do light Sussex Cockerells make a decent eating bird

They are a large fowl and everyone who comes comments on how big a bird they are. They are dual purpose for meat and eggs......so will let you know soon when the first one is on the table!

• Like 1

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems to be a big up take for threads on off grid living or self sustainability so thought I would stick it in here lads because the 'living of land and game cooking' section doesn't get much traffic

Ohhhh yesss!!!!

Posted Images

8 hours ago, ryaldinhio said:

Guna see how we go, I'm hoping to cover costs, anything extra would be a bonus. Bear in mind a 25kg sack has been lasting me a month I don't think it'll be too hard to cover cost.

No if you keep the numbers down it should help so long as you get enough eggs to eat  yourself . 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I have promised some cooked produce photos. Tonight's tea, double pork chops.......

Bloody gorgeous and now I am stuffed!

Genuinly have grown to appreciate food more. We have all got used to accepting shite for convenience.

Was also thinking tonight, whilst I am not personally religious, I can understand the history of saying grace and being thankful for the produce of the land.

20240312_174610.jpg

20240312_174630.jpg

20240312_174636.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4
17 minutes ago, hot dog said:

Excellent stuff. 

When you brought the dozen hatching eggs,how many hatched mate please.?

I bought 4 sets of 6 from 4 different suppliers

Batch 1

Supplier 1 - 6 eggs - 2 fertile 1 hatched

Suppler 2 - 6 eggs - 6 fertile 5 hatched

Batch 2

Supplier 1 - 6 eggs - 0 fertile

Suppler 2 - 6 eggs - 6 fertile 3 hatched

My own eggs at home now I have 100%fertility and usually around 70-80% hatch rate.

I've sold my first 2 sets of hatching eggs via ebay/post so waiting for feedback to see how that went.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ryaldinhio said:

Well, I have promised some cooked produce photos. Tonight's tea, double pork chops.......

Genuinly have grown to appreciate food more. We have all got used to accepting shite for convenience.

Was also thinking tonight, whilst I am not personally religious, I can understand the history of saying grace and being thankful for the produce of the land.

20240312_174610.jpg

20240312_174630.jpg

20240312_174636.jpg

look belting them 

• Thanks 1
23 hours ago, ryaldinhio said:

20240312_174610.jpg

20240312_174630.jpg

20240312_174636.jpg

That looks absolutely fantastic 👍

• Thanks 1
On 12/03/2024 at 23:20, ryaldinhio said:

I bought 4 sets of 6 from 4 different suppliers

Batch 1

Supplier 1 - 6 eggs - 2 fertile 1 hatched

Suppler 2 - 6 eggs - 6 fertile 5 hatched

Batch 2

Supplier 1 - 6 eggs - 0 fertile

Suppler 2 - 6 eggs - 6 fertile 3 hatched

My own eggs at home now I have 100%fertility and usually around 70-80% hatch rate.

I've sold my first 2 sets of hatching eggs via ebay/post so waiting for feedback to see how that went.

Get some broody hens Oxford ginger are great broody birds an great mothers , get better hatch rate one of my ginger was on 18 eggs last year hatch all out 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, tank34 said:

Get some broody hens Oxford ginger are great broody birds an great mothers , get better hatch rate one of my ginger was on 18 eggs last year hatch all out 

These were original ones I got via post. I'm incubating my own eggs now and getting 70-80% hatch rate which is good enough for me. Broody hens bring their own issues so I'm guna keep incubating in the plan.👍

• Like 1

Now we are in the swing of it the next chicken shed should be coming today. This is guna be my brooder shed where I incubate eggs and raise the chicks.

Also guna be where I keep all chicken related gear instead of filling my big shed, this will mean I can get to my fishing tackle again and maybe get out on the banks!

• Like 2

Great topic this lads 

I'm thinking of getting couple of laying hens for the yard,its concrete st the minute,tho I was thinking of building a pen an using blocks to hold in some soil for them to rummage on,is this viable?,a lot of cats around so I'd need to roof it.

If yous kind lads with your wisdom give me some tips on how to look after them,what they need an what to look out for would be great,I'm a novice so all info welcome.

Ps fed up of buying eggs I'd rather produce me own lol

francie its easier and much cheaper to nip down to lidl ,bird shite everywhere rats,coop to clean food to buy, birds to lock up at night neighbours complaining. feck me i think i might get some as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
49 minutes ago, Francie, said:

Great topic this lads 

I'm thinking of getting couple of laying hens for the yard,its concrete st the minute,tho I was thinking of building a pen an using blocks to hold in some soil for them to rummage on,is this viable?,a lot of cats around so I'd need to roof it.

If yous kind lads with your wisdom give me some tips on how to look after them,what they need an what to look out for would be great,I'm a novice so all info welcome.

Ps fed up of buying eggs I'd rather produce me own lol

My only advice if your keeping them in a residential garden would be to make sure, whatever you lock them away at night has perches off the ground and is blacked out to f**k...soon as the fuckers see a crack of light...they be making a noise and wanting to be let out😉👍

Otherwise it dont take long to piss off the neighbours ...even when they getting cheap/free eggs...no cnut wants waking up at 4am 😁👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
36 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

soon as the fuckers see a crack of light...they be making a noise and wanting to be let out😉👍

Otherwise it dont take long to piss off the neighbours ...even when they getting cheap/free eggs...no cnut wants waking up at 4am 😁👍

My gamecocks are flat out at 5 o'clock now and by summer they'll be starting about 3.30 😂

• Haha 2