Produce your own.........

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems to be a big up take for threads on off grid living or self sustainability so thought I would stick it in here lads because the 'living of land and game cooking' section doesn't get much traffic

Ohhhh yesss!!!!

Posted Images

6 hours ago, ryaldinhio said:

Seems to be a big up take for threads on off grid living or self sustainability so thought I would stick it in here lads because the 'living of land and game cooking' section doesn't get much traffic

We are working towards producing our own meat and veg, will take some time but oong term goals.

Half a dozen young chickens at the min, another dozen in incubator (expecting 6 at most).

Turkeys going in next week when these hatch.....or not

CPH applied for today for the pigs that are next on list.

The patch of brambles is what I have bought to put the hogs on moving forward.

Just got new shed for the hens, plan this weekend is to build the run for em outside.

20230728_150748.jpg

20230728_150438.jpg

20230728_082559.jpg

20230720_193332.jpg

Absolutely fantastic dude.  You're living the dream .  It'll take some graft,  but imagine how great it'll feel ???

• Like 1

For the pigs, invest in some mains powered electric fence of the highest power you feel comfortable being around.

It will do acres of property from wherever you mount it and again, I can’t stress enough, as high a shock delivery as you can get away with (big cow strength is ideal) 

If you don’t now, believe me, you will remember this post 6 months after you have them ! Lol 

Pigs will bulldoze everything including sheep wire like it’s made of cotton.

All the best ?

• Like 8
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

I’ve found Heras panels ideal for poultry runs; cheap, (no pun intended), to buy, very easy to erect and movable if required, and the ideal height. 
Cheers.

Ya turn  em upside down  dig em in a bit , hold together  with  heavy  duty  tie wraps.cut a hole in one make a simple frame  n door  , works really  well good  luck 

• Like 1

I was looking at heras fencing but where their first run is going to be is actually where I'm making a poly tunnel so I'm guna make the poly tunnel frame and just put chicken wire on for now, then when they move to the adjacent area once pigs have cleared it then I will change it to a poly tunnel.

I'm using scaff poles post-creted in the geound and 67mm MDPE (which goes over the scaff pole) to form the hoops. Got a coil of MDPE and some 5ft scaff poles ready. Was guna be on it this morning but surprise surprise the weather is not as forecast and ita bouncing down.

Screenshot_20230729_103021_Gallery.jpg

Im not doing it for money, just had a perfect example of why I wanna produce my own.

We normally go to the butchers but grabbed some super market bacon......what the f**k is this all about... 10mins in oven and shrunk to less than half size?! The bacon packet is on the same plate, not lifted for effect.

Unreal how the products on our shelves are modified to suit, to carry more water to increase weight for sale etc. No one has a clue what they are pumping into stuff and therefore what we are eating.

20230729_100559.jpg

• Like 10
4 hours ago, chartpolski said:

I’ve found Heras panels ideal for poultry runs; cheap, (no pun intended), to buy, very easy to erect and movable if required, and the ideal height. 
Cheers.

Make good pheasant pens. I expected em to look a mess but they really blend in as soon as they weather a bit. Plus you can add a bit more on as you pick up more. If you can fasten em to trees or put a few at an angle to hold em up then you don't need wooden posts which rot away in no time 

4 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Make good pheasant pens. I expected em to look a mess but they really blend in as soon as they weather a bit. Plus you can add a bit more on as you pick up more. If you can fasten em to trees or put a few at an angle to hold em up then you don't need wooden posts which rot away in no time 

As you say, they can be extended easily. I just dig a small hole for the “legs” to stand in and use the Heras clamps to connect the panels and they are secure enough.

If you know someone “on the buildings”, they are cheap and available !

Cheers.

• Like 1

318F72D7-EF78-4F55-90D5-599547BC2233.jpeg.2ecb9818df9e2ebfe2a9f6fac9404fbd.jpeg

This is the electric fence unit I use mate and they don’t mess with it. 
Will power upto about 20 acres if I remember correctly although my pigs were only kept on one of my fields of about an acre.

But it did all my property for cattle as well, so at about €250-280 it will do anything the small holder needs and is a good investment. 

• Like 3

77F65A19-34BF-4AD1-B430-61B2DC7933DD.jpeg.8e2c66e94e8f2d9d3aa82cad4cc10b4b.jpeg

One other tip, invest in some Valium for when you have to round up escaped piglets on a piss wet day…..or any day for that matter ! Lol 

Edited by WILF
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Lenmcharristar said:

Anybody raise meat birds? And do you free range them? Any pics?

I reared some years ago that I got out if my mates cabin and then reared them like normal chickens on grain, greens and scratching around the garden and they were still decent sized and tasty.