Foodies... places worth visiting

On 11/05/2023 at 14:42, NEWKID said:

Theres a Thai place up town, always full of asians, really good food, we've used it since it opened, just expanded into next door unit..she's got a great business hopefully she keeps it authentic as that's what sales.

Stayed in a place on the old Newport Road to Cardiff when we working up there  mad place ran by Koreans...he was a suishi chef, was full of Asians every night...plus us...lol

I would fish up there some nights, he asked for an eel..I caught him a conger...he looked at it like id shit in his kitchen..

"This not eel fiss" ... lol.. he wanted freshwater eel for sushi... made a broth with the conger and some cod id caught, was lovely...

Took him in some dog fish and showed him how to skin, he had right fancy knives, I reckon he never got an edge back on them after id skinned those doggies with them...lol... that place was as authentic as you could find ..it was completely bonkers in there...we stayed 2 months and loved it! Lol

I love Thai food.So much so that I honestly cant remember the last time I ate chinese as I'll pick Thai every time if Im having Asian.Most of the towns around me have a thai place or 2 but I choose to drive 40mins down to Margate where theres 2 excellent places in the old town which has become very trendy the last couple of years.One is in a function room above a boozer and the other is a proper little greasy spoon cafe during the day and 3 old thai women rent it of an evening and do the most authentic food Ive had outside of Thailand.

• Like 3

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've got the "whats cooking" thread going, so thought I'd chuck up a thread of places worth visiting for decent grub, location etc... might give people a sway when they're visiting somewhere new etc.

On the way back a little treat to finish the day, stopped in South Sands Hotel, near Salcombe... cream tea...the correct way, cream first! Lol

Gaucho Richmond,right on the Thames,really nice if you like steak and people watch.  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, downsouth said:

I love Thai food.So much so that I honestly cant remember the last time I ate chinese as I'll pick Thai every time if Im having Asian.Most of the towns around me have a thai place or 2 but I choose to drive 40mins down to Margate where theres 2 excellent places in the old town which has become very trendy the last couple of years.One is in a function room above a boozer and the other is a proper little greasy spoon cafe during the day and 3 old thai women rent it of an evening and do the most authentic food Ive had outside of Thailand.

I'm the same mate, I prefer Thai to Chinese, there are a few authentic Chinese place here (huge amount of Chinese at Exeter University so a couple of places really cater to it), I prefer them, the bog standard Chinese take away I tend to avoid, pretty bland imo.

On 27/03/2024 at 22:21, NEWKID said:

Scotts is in Mayfair mate, the place where Nigella Lawsons ex gave her a slap years ago... 

It has a massive ice bunker in the middle of the restaurant, great seafoodonly thing is half the stuff has travelled there from Devon or Cornwall so I feel a bit of a mug driving 200 miles to eat the stuff I can catch  minutes away!!! lol

There’s a Scott’s in Richmond mate,right on the river,been in a few times but I will drop into the Mayfair one,it’s on the list.

2ED3C34E-CA22-4CC6-A9B1-EAFC70C9631C.jpeg

• Like 1

Had a really nice breakfast in Richmond yesterday after following the Thames path from Kingston,good food and decor,very relaxing,thoroughly recommend it.

D89B4AAE-4F0A-47A3-9578-1B9CDF831C57.jpeg

E45A1E29-C42B-43DB-AC8D-55CAEA94A8CE.jpeg

4508E76A-9962-4F99-84AC-CDF7AE2FD5E8.jpeg

846190DB-16DE-45BD-A30D-77C002509C01.jpeg

B80B028D-1A27-4B73-960B-D992AAB73808.jpeg

17062636-5FD7-4517-8E72-032D70179058.jpeg

A09F28D4-CF56-4486-8B6B-D0D9D6AF34B7.jpeg

2CFEDC31-018A-4007-944C-76E9FD6778B1.jpeg

E1B2B4F6-E06B-46DA-97A7-3905B8569451.jpeg

C8FE7451-ABAC-49D4-A2B2-432D8BD9CF77.jpeg

94FA3370-1811-4C03-A46D-A3C7C2AFC755.jpeg

• Like 5
1 hour ago, mackem said:

Had a really nice breakfast in Richmond yesterday after following the Thames path from Kingston,good food and decor,very relaxing,thoroughly recommend it.

D89B4AAE-4F0A-47A3-9578-1B9CDF831C57.jpeg

E45A1E29-C42B-43DB-AC8D-55CAEA94A8CE.jpeg

4508E76A-9962-4F99-84AC-CDF7AE2FD5E8.jpeg

846190DB-16DE-45BD-A30D-77C002509C01.jpeg

B80B028D-1A27-4B73-960B-D992AAB73808.jpeg

17062636-5FD7-4517-8E72-032D70179058.jpeg

A09F28D4-CF56-4486-8B6B-D0D9D6AF34B7.jpeg

2CFEDC31-018A-4007-944C-76E9FD6778B1.jpeg

E1B2B4F6-E06B-46DA-97A7-3905B8569451.jpeg

C8FE7451-ABAC-49D4-A2B2-432D8BD9CF77.jpeg

94FA3370-1811-4C03-A46D-A3C7C2AFC755.jpeg

Was up your way last week mate, spent a few hours with my uncle is pretty un well now, thought of you for some reason as I passed Hampton Court.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, NEWKID said:

I'm the same mate, I prefer Thai to Chinese, there are a few authentic Chinese place here (huge amount of Chinese at Exeter University so a couple of places really cater to it), I prefer them, the bog standard Chinese take away I tend to avoid, pretty bland imo.

there’s chinese places here near the uni aswell couldn’t speak to you can’t read the menu come out with bat and dog cantonese style lol

6 hours ago, mackem said:

There’s a Scott’s in Richmond mate,right on the river,been in a few times but I will drop into the Mayfair one,it’s on the list.

2ED3C34E-CA22-4CC6-A9B1-EAFC70C9631C.jpeg

nice looking place mack, but, a bit to posh for me, the last time i went to an upper class restaurant with my best mates family i got the dagger eyes and shock horror look when i picked up the chop bones to get them tasty bits off with my teeth.......lol 

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, tillylamp said:

nice looking place mack, but, a bit to posh for me, the last time i went to an upper class restaurant with my best mates family i got the dagger eyes and shock horror look when i picked up the chop bones to get them tasty bits off with my teeth.......lol 

I did a horrendous faux pas once,I was about 18 and fresh out of Sunderland where my definition of fine dining was an egg on my beans and chips.

in Paris in a resto and the waiter put a saucer with a small bowl of clear liquid a slice of lemon,and a napkin beside me,I thought “Ah,Clearwater soup?” So I squeezed the lemon into the bowl and drank the finger bowl.

0AB9FE8A-1361-4533-99CB-8F67E85FF143.jpeg

802F53C6-E9F5-40B0-9A46-51BFBA46BA1F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
23 hours ago, NEWKID said:

Was up your way last week mate, spent a few hours with my uncle is pretty un well now, thought of you for some reason as I passed Hampton Court.

Hope your uncle is recovering, is he receiving treatment in Kingston? Decent hospital, my lady used to be a nurse there. Worrying times when a family member is in poor health sadly. 

• Thanks 1
On 28/03/2024 at 18:45, downsouth said:

I love Thai food, I will have to get down to margate( chaz n dave)  try them out, thiers a decent fish resto in broadstairs called kebells. Not to trumpy for what you get. Was in thier last week for an evening for a bit scran when 2 men with tight trousers and colourful glasses entered and of course they had a wet , fluffy dog and tried to sit next to me ffs. I love dogs but not almost on my lap when eating. Not sure when this became allowed as a lot of restaurants I’ve seen allow dogs at the fuking table

46 minutes ago, mackem said:

Hope your uncle is recovering, is he receiving treatment in Kingston? Decent hospital, my lady used to be a nurse there. Worrying times when a family member is in poor health sadly. 

Unfortunately it's not going to get any better, not sure how long but looking at months not years. His daughter is down with me this weekend, she is having her wedding here in June, we are hoping he makes it..shit times for her and the family.. I think he is under Walton hospital.

• Sad 1
36 minutes ago, Qbgrey said:

I love Thai food, I will have to get down to margate( chaz n dave)  try them out, thiers a decent fish resto in broadstairs called kebells. Not to trumpy for what you get. Was in thier last week for an evening for a bit scran when 2 men with tight trousers and colourful glasses entered and of course they had a wet , fluffy dog and tried to sit next to me ffs. I love dogs but not almost on my lap when eating. Not sure when this became allowed as a lot of restaurants I’ve seen allow dogs at the fuking table

Me and the missus had a few days down Dorset last year and decided to have an afternoon at Sandbanks.We spotted a Thai place as we were driving through so decided to give it a try.We walked in and stood waiting for 5mins and finally 1 of 3 old birds sat at a table drinking wine at 2 in the afternoon came over and seated us.Then some scruffy looking twat who spoke with a plumb in his gob came in with a dog and got seated a couple of tables from us,Chatted with the old thing that seated us like they knew eachother and ordered a bottle of red wine and was then joined by some other old bag who also ordered her own bottle.His poxy dog then barked everytime someone walked by.Finally another posh talking thing came in with 3 kids that looked like they hadnt had a bath or their hair brushed for 2weeks and ordered a bottle of wine.With that my missus said f**k this and we got up and walked out before our grub even arrived.We thought it would be half decent as it was in such an expensive area but was just full of f**king old pi**heads including the staff.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, mackem said:

I did a horrendous faux pas once,I was about 18 and fresh out of Sunderland where my definition of fine dining was an egg on my beans and chips.

in Paris in a resto and the waiter put a saucer with a small bowl of clear liquid a slice of lemon,and a napkin beside me,I thought “Ah,Clearwater soup?” So I squeezed the lemon into the bowl and drank the finger bowl.

0AB9FE8A-1361-4533-99CB-8F67E85FF143.jpeg

802F53C6-E9F5-40B0-9A46-51BFBA46BA1F.jpeg

I've done similar - thought "when in Rome..." and started dipping my king prawns into the lemon water 🤣

• Haha 4

Well f**k all that eggs with a bit of lettuce at a pony a pop, used to be a caravan in a lay-by on Pembury bypass near Tunbridge Wells, old boy looked like Abe Lincoln and his Mrs ran it.

18oz Cumberland sausage stick, 3 big Cumberland sausages in a nice fresh French stick….plenty of black pepper, just the right among of brown sauce and onions at a whisker away from burnt…..best roll you have ever eaten ! 

Edited by WILF
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1