Foodies... places worth visiting

59 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

i’ve never known chinks eat the chinese food we do it’s catered for english 

there’s chinese spots here that only chinese  eat at it’s rum as f**k nothing like we eat it caters for them mad fish dishes frogs legs shit like that ? don’t even have an english menu 

Theres a Thai place up town, always full of asians, really good food, we've used it since it opened, just expanded into next door unit..she's got a great business hopefully she keeps it authentic as that's what sales.

Stayed in a place on the old Newport Road to Cardiff when we working up there  mad place ran by Koreans...he was a suishi chef, was full of Asians every night...plus us...lol

I would fish up there some nights, he asked for an eel..I caught him a conger...he looked at it like id shit in his kitchen..

"This not eel fiss" ... lol.. he wanted freshwater eel for sushi... made a broth with the conger and some cod id caught, was lovely...

Took him in some dog fish and showed him how to skin, he had right fancy knives, I reckon he never got an edge back on them after id skinned those doggies with them...lol... that place was as authentic as you could find ..it was completely bonkers in there...we stayed 2 months and loved it! Lol

• Like 4

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've got the "whats cooking" thread going, so thought I'd chuck up a thread of places worth visiting for decent grub, location etc... might give people a sway when they're visiting somewhere new etc.

On the way back a little treat to finish the day, stopped in South Sands Hotel, near Salcombe... cream tea...the correct way, cream first! Lol

Gaucho Richmond,right on the Thames,really nice if you like steak and people watch.  

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Theres a Thai place up town, always full of asians, really good food, we've used it since it opened, just expanded into next door unit..she's got a great business hopefully she keeps it authentic as that's what sales.

Stayed in a place on the old Newport Road to Cardiff when we working up there  mad place ran by Koreans...he was a suishi chef, was full of Asians every night...plus us...lol

I would fish up there some nights, he asked for an eel..I caught him a conger...he looked at it like id shit in his kitchen..

"This not eel fiss" ... lol.. he wanted freshwater eel for sushi... made a broth with the conger and some cod id caught, was lovely...

Took him in some dog fish and showed him how to skin, he had right fancy knives, I reckon he never got an edge back on them after id skinned those doggies with them...lol... that place was as authentic as you could find ..it was completely bonkers in there...we stayed 2 months and loved it! Lol

quite a lot a chinese here few spots i done some graft on freezers the ones only cater to chinese the food would make you ill lol cat and dog would be more appetising i’ll stick to the good old chinese we eat 

• Haha 1
34 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

quite a lot a chinese here few spots i done some graft on freezers the ones only cater to chinese the food would make you ill lol cat and dog would be more appetising i’ll stick to the good old chinese we eat 

First meal I ever ate in China, very first one. 

post-1930-1212438789_thumb.jpg

post-1930-1212438525_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Yak Mack??

30 minutes ago, mackem said:

First meal I ever ate in China, very first one. 

post-1930-1212438789_thumb.jpg

post-1930-1212438525_thumb.jpg

i could eat that mate no bother mushroom onion noodles lol

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, mC HULL said:

Was in Hong Kong on a work trip, we were on a meet with a businessman out there who is associated with the takeaway trade here...basically he has factories in China that produce the plastic containers our takeaways come in (used to be tinfoil years ago, he first started bringing the plastic containers in)... anyway he's got a few quid, we were there selling the hydrogen systems, took out technical bod for installs and me and my good mate/business partner for the bullshit/meetings... he wanted to produce the plastics for us and had ins into the ministry of transport...one night we were invited out with him and this ministry/government bod for a meal... ill eat anything...the other 2 were praying for chicken chow mein.. lol 

The food was amazing, on a big floating restaurant, fish tanks in the Hull of the boat/restaurant.. the girl interpreter (his pa) ordered the lot... whole pigeons came out, head stuck under the wing like devilled woodcock.. my mate gave me a look like what the f**k do I do with this...my favourite was fried jellyfish tentacles.. my mate point blank said no .I reminded him it was rude not to eat it...lol..  there was all sorts that I didn't know, cracking dim sums etc... we spent 9 days out there being ferried around and I'm a food lover so was in my element..my mate and the techy were desperately searching for burgers and English breakfasts....lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, mackem said:

Tai pak in Aberdeen? 

I dont know the name mate, was multi storeyed, covered in gold.. . Food was amazing 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

I dont know the name mate, was multi storeyed, covered in gold.. . Food was amazing 

Sounds like the one in Aberdeen that sank a few years ago. 

2 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

This was about 6 years ago mate..

It sank two years ago. There's a much smaller floating Chinese restaurant in Amsterdam off to the left of central station near the doubletree Hotel, it's OK but not in the same league as the Hong Kong one was. 

In the interests of research I have just had lunch in The Good Earth in Esher high street,beloved by Chelsea football players and celebrities,very good English versions of Chinese food easily up to mC HULL standards.

3A7D0AD1-0A85-4968-8B72-F008F21E1AC2.jpeg

9BC33780-81F3-44A2-8EBB-4A5655C6F4F3.jpeg

43987137-8148-46D5-96BB-2B8CC3F4E98E.jpeg

BD46A37A-63E6-4A16-8033-8A70E3A733AE.jpeg

7B89B028-8FB3-4078-8FAE-76EC0E668A84.jpeg

2896E0E4-3713-43BC-A1B8-781286832EC8.jpeg

E380013B-CCF5-42E2-ABD8-47401B166954.jpeg

CAEA7A92-7D9D-4677-A4BD-3F766195DFEA.jpeg

55C32EB8-1310-4626-96FC-D3743F1ABF8D.jpeg

6378BB25-7E27-46F1-8CDB-06010A6CFABE.jpeg

• 10 months later...

Sounds like you stumbled upon some real gems! I totally get the vibe of finding those authentic, bustling places that just keep you coming back. I've had similar experiences at a korean restaurant auckland. The energy and flavors were just out of this world. It's those places where you feel like part of the family, even if you're not from the same background.

Edited by BeckyBarker
  • Like 1