New football thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

West Ham fans in town all day and not a murmur until wives/families get attacked by " ultras " at the game itself.....embarrassing !! There was a handful of chaps on each stairwell stopping them

Lived in the same street as Beardsley when we were younger. He always was a mile ahead of the rest in skill as a kid. I saw him in a Marie Currie hospice a couple of years ago, he was handing out

My Hammers will struggle this year ,some fans want Moyse gone but personally i cant see the point we have a manager thats proved he can improve the club,owners willing to throw money at it.....at what

Posted Images

3 hours ago, lanesra said:

Hopefully Declan will be plying his trade in North London next season ?

Speaking purely with my football head on, id love to see that lad in an ambitious young team like that under a coach like Arteta……shame that’s not us, but the reality is that it isn’t and so having followed his progress and enjoyed watching such a genuine player I’m excited to see just how far he can go. 

• Like 1

Watching the Malta/England game; now; I’m certainly no couch expert on football, I just enjoy watching the game, but one commentator keeps mentioning “playing in the pocket “ ! 
Someone please explain what that means ?

Cheers.

1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

Watching the Malta/England game; now; I’m certainly no couch expert on football, I just enjoy watching the game, but one commentator keeps mentioning “playing in the pocket “ ! 

Cheers.

i can’t stand watching it now chart the commentary punditry is f***ing shocking like listening to women if it ain’t that it’s left wing dribble 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

It’s small areas of space left by the other teams shape/formation or by an opposing player moving constantly out of a position mate.

As in, if you get a back 4 who gets their distances wrong between themselves and/or the mid field in front of them that will leave “pockets” of space in those areas. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I have just watched the EUFA under 21 champions quarter finals. Great to see England go through. Watched all the games but only after scouring the t'net. Nothing on terrestrial, Sky or BT. The channels broadcasting the games have been those of the opposition. Plenty football games on our channels, women's games and even disabled people. Which is fine. If Elli scores a "worldi" and guy gets MOM even though he has no legs, fair play to them. I do not mind it being televised. But what about the young lads playing today? 

I hadn't finished... some of them will go on to another level, for some this is their moment in the sun. Should their efforts not be televised to the nation? All the other countries in the competition seem to.

PS. Young Newcastle player Anthony Gordon got the only goal, go on son!

Edited by eastcoast
added a "c" in souring
On 02/07/2023 at 20:12, eastcoast said:

I have just watched the EUFA under 21 champions quarter finals. Great to see England go through. Watched all the games but only after scouring the t'net. Nothing on terrestrial, Sky or BT. The channels broadcasting the games have been those of the opposition. Plenty football games on our channels, women's games and even disabled people. Which is fine. If Elli scores a "worldi" and guy gets MOM even though he has no legs, fair play to them. I do not mind it being televised. But what about the young lads playing today? 

I hadn't finished... some of them will go on to another level, for some this is their moment in the sun. Should their efforts not be televised to the nation? All the other countries in the competition seem to.

PS. Young Newcastle player Anthony Gordon got the only goal, go on son!

Anthony Gordon player of the tournament award !

Cheers.

20 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Anthony Gordon player of the tournament award !

Cheers.

Not based on that final he isn’t, his first touch was absolutely diabolical ! Lol 

Good performance from England and made up for that goal keeper, how must he feel ! Brilliant 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, WILF said:

Not based on that final he isn’t, his first touch was absolutely diabolical ! Lol 

Good performance from England and made up for that goal keeper, how must he feel ! Brilliant 

I thought he was the best player on the pitch for the first 20 minutes, but then he changed position, but hey, I had just got to know what “between the lines” and “high press” were, then they hit me with “playing in the pocket”, ( I thought it was a snooker term I’d never heard of !! ), but I’m certainly no expert, I just enjoy the game ! 
Cheers.

57 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I thought he was the best player on the pitch for the first 20 minutes, but then he changed position, but hey, I had just got to know what “between the lines” and “high press” were, then they hit me with “playing in the pocket”, ( I thought it was a snooker term I’d never heard of !! ), but I’m certainly no expert, I just enjoy the game ! 
Cheers.

I like the way the mid field and the front 3 constantly rotate, it must be a nightmare to defend against.

I thought we battered them to be honest, it could have easily been 3 or 4 but their keeper was absolutely outstanding…..as was ours to be fair, he bought a sense of calm to the defence which is an absolute gift for any team.

My personal player of the match was the centre back Colwill (spel ??) ……I thought he had an almost textbook game.

Feck all he could have done about the penalty, that was just one of those silly VAR moments that you just can’t odds. 

Not slating Gordon by the way, I thought the whole team put in a very good mature performance against the best opposition in Europe quiet frankly…….that group of lads really can say tonight “We are the best U21 team in Europe” and it’s completely on ability ! 

One thing I will say, that Palmer definitely wouldn’t have a girlfriend if he wasn’t a Man City player ! Lol ? 

1 minute ago, WILF said:

I like the way the mid field and the front 3 constantly rotate, it must be a nightmare to defend against.

I thought we battered them to be honest, it could have easily been 3 or 4 but their keeper was absolutely outstanding…..as was ours to be fair, he bought a sense of calm to the defence which is an absolute gift for any team.

My personal player of the match was the centre back Colwill (spel ??) ……I thought he had an almost textbook game.

Feck all he could have done about the penalty, that was just one of those silly VAR moments that you just can’t odds. 

Not slating Gordon by the way, I thought the whole team put in a very good mature performance against the best opposition in Europe quiet frankly…….that group of lads really can say tonight “We are the best U21 team in Europe” and it’s completely on ability ! 

One thing I will say, that Palmer definitely wouldn’t have a girlfriend if he wasn’t a Man City player ! Lol ? 

I agree with your assessment of Colwill, didn’t he get man of the match ?

Cheers.