14 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

I'm not a religious person but, you have to wonder what happens to someone's soul after numbers like that.

I wouldn't have dwelled on the numbers, I would have just been thankful I survived that hellish carnage,it was kill or be killed whatever uniform they wore. 

• Like 5

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was talking to my boy last night (no doubt boring the pants off him ! Lol) and saying how lads barely a couple of years older than him had spent that day 78 years ago getting their kit ready, climbi

brave lads thats for sure....funny the things you find out about people once there dead....i knew my grandad was in tanks during the war...and i knew he fought the japs in south east asia....he was in

A great uncle of mine was in the engineers during the landings. He suffered what they’d call nowadays ‘life changing injuries’, sometime after landing. I remember as a kid at family gatherings, no-one

Posted Images

I think anyone who got off a boat,up the beach and wasn't shot to bits would of been horrified by the carnage and losses...couldn't begin to imagine how that would of affected those young men...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
53 minutes ago, mackem said:

I wonder if they knew what they would be facing from the off? 

watched another similar thing the other day ....see if i can find it

• Like 1

here it is....great interview this if you havnt seen it before ....very sad at the begining....watch right up till the end though fellas ...it really is worth it...

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, TOMO said:

here it is....great interview this if you havnt seen it before ....very sad at the begining....watch right up till the end though fellas ...it really is worth it...

R. I. P

PATCH.COM

Frank DeVita, 96, of Bridgewater, died on Saturday. He is one of the last surviving WWII...

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

I don't doubt it mate but, regardless of what side they're on, there's probably a decent theological conversation to be had.

Like the bloke that released the bomb over Hiroshima - I'd love to know what his thoughts were years later when he was sat somewhere alone and quiet.

i know that the pilot and navigator of the Enola gay that dropped the bomb (little boy) on Hiroshima stated that they never lost any sleep over it

• Like 1

My dad lied about his age and joined the Royal Navy at 15 in the mistaken belief he would join his older brother, not knowing the Navy had a policy of not letting brothers sail on the same ship.

He saw action from the Murmansk convoys in the Arctic circle to shelling Burma in south east Asia, as well as in the Atlantic and Mediterranean.

He sailed on ships as diverse as Tribal Class destroyers, HMS Nubian, and aircraft carriers, HMS Ark Royal, and finished the war with a chest full of campaign medals.

After the war, he never travelled abroad again, or even had a passport, until I arranged for him and mum to visit us in Saudi.

He rarely mentioned the war, but was very scathing of officers and politicians.

My mum still has his certificate for "crossing the line", the Equator, which he seemed more proud of than his medals.

Cheers.

• Like 7
11 hours ago, WILF said:

It’s the 6th of June, just saying.

The finest generation of men ever.

Yet there yous are taking health advice and bending over backwards for the same people they fought  against .... crazy times eh ??

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Jonjon79 said:

I don't doubt it mate but, regardless of what side they're on, there's probably a decent theological conversation to be had.

Like the bloke that released the bomb over Hiroshima - I'd love to know what his thoughts were years later when he was sat somewhere alone and quiet.

He might have thought " it's quiet and nobody's around, might as well knock one out".

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, Jonjon79 said:

• Like 1