clipping advice

asking for help here. I have had beddywhippets for over 30 years and never bothered about clipping. this bitch just coming up to 5 years old has a really thick rough coat, great in winter but even the slightest heat really gets to her. what do you think about clipping, good or bad?... ps I don't give a monkeys trumpet about looks, it's purely got to benefit the dog. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve made a start on stripping mine tonight using an old hacksaw blade .  He’s been over heating. Still some to come off will have another go next week.    before and after

I've always followed this advice: if it moults, strip it, if it's  a non moulter, like some Beddy types, then clip it. If you clip a dog that should naturally moult, then the fur never grows the same

Shaved tonight,like a lighter version of himself lol

Posted Images

I've a sheep shearer, electric,....my saluki dog X is a right wooly fecker,I've shaved him in the past and can't see any damage when the coat grows back,....he's due a shave again soon,and I won't hesitate in clipping him

My bedy grey suffers in the heat and she's not got a thick coat so one with thick coat is going to over heat quickly. 

I hand strip but I'd also use clippers if she had a coat like one you got  

I used to strip mine as I was worried about damaging his coat but on half way through the 3rd strip of the summmer I went an brought a pair of clippers, it’s alot quicker and doesn’t make much difference to how the coat grows back 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, torchey said:

First and last rough un never again , had him shaved a few times gets way too hot

8BBF04ED-4A39-4206-B113-868CAE1FFD5E.jpeg

F981AFAE-96BA-411C-B7E7-7E2327FC046D.jpeg

4982F0FD-348C-44EE-AD19-FF62B507A3E7.jpeg

like him👍, hows he bred? 

15 hours ago, TOMO said:

yep last ruff coated one I had ...I clippered her all the time...

Then your missus decided that waxing was better 😎

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, fred90 said:

like him👍, hows he bred? 

His dad top left picture saluki grey/collie whip grey been a pleasure to own put him across another collie x and ended up with this twat lol

• Like 1

I've always followed this advice: if it moults, strip it, if it's  a non moulter, like some Beddy types, then clip it. If you clip a dog that should naturally moult, then the fur never grows the same again, grows woolly and weird and you have to keep clipping them forever. 

• Like 4