Negatives of dog kennels like this

Semi common design down here for alot of peoples hunting dogs and the like. Looking at expanding my welding deal and considering making these. Not that worst thing to weld up and they sell for $950-$2000 depends if their single doubles ( I've seen them go as far as 10x stations) Just curious what are some negatives y'all can see about these....y'all are pretty good at finding negatives so figured I'd ask ??

Seriously though really curious what y'all would change even if it's not super applicable to here in the US.

O and BTW sorry for not posting this in the dog channel but their like four different ones and don't really know which this would fit best in ?

Screenshot_20220407-010057-296.png.41c6d0f869098076f2725e78861b60ab.pngScreenshot_20220407-010619-439.png.f40a781af559b45b4c10d2faebe92648.pngScreenshot_20220407-040213-051.png.bbb5bcf0a28bf388e370e45d8c230ef1.pngScreenshot_20220407-040239-692.png.366da2dfe420f57a342a37570c11eafb.pngScreenshot_20220407-040306-354.png.baa0bda648843517bc124415e7719d70.png

Sorry forgot to mention these are ment to be semi mobile hence why their on sled frames ( alot of people like to have the ability to move them around easily for whatever reason along with not wanted to have to pour a concrete permanent slab) and all the wood in probably built ones is pressure treated and water resistant to begin with and most people will  put a water seal coat over them . Dosent really soak of smells too bad. Or at least I never noticed because you generally put these down wind if your house lik.Don't know if y'all have Thompson's water seal or similar but it's usually something like that .You also just take a water hose and wash them off twice daily or so. So do have the boards where their space apart a inch two three though as a slightly different design to help with cleaning.

Edited by Wolfdog91
  • Like 5

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Used plastic  barrels for yrs,decent size opening and a floor on timber runners inside,few drainage holes and the dogs are warm and dry,in the summer when it's hot they sit on top if you make a little

Semi common design down here for alot of peoples hunting dogs and the like. Looking at expanding my welding deal and considering making these. Not that worst thing to weld up and they sell for $950-$2

Each to there own realy but the ones with the plastic square mesh ones look sound , and if I lived in a country with poisonous snakes etc I’d like mine of the floor too , them plastic square ones are

Posted Images

I have heard it said plastic barrels are too hot in the summer and too cold in winter. Condensation with plastic may be a problem too. But the opening  for the dog is pretty big so that might not be a problem.

Edited by jukel123
8 minutes ago, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

Why are they raised up with wooden floors which will soak up piss and stink, arnt they better off and easier to make being not raised and no floor and then they go onto a concrete pad like most people do in this country ?? 

Beat me to it; f**k the wood off because it'll stink

16 minutes ago, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

Why are they raised up with wooden floors which will soak up piss and stink, arnt they better off and easier to make being not raised and no floor and then they go onto a concrete pad like most people do in this country ?? 

Treated wood doesn't really let that happen. Most people have a water hose nearby bey and just rinse them off daily or more. Eveyone I've been around take less then a minute and no real smell. As long as is good treat wood. Been around some made with untreated and ?? also it can flood here so actually alot of buildings and general have slightly raised foundations. That and there are on sleds so they can be moved around.  Cheaper then pouring a slab and not to mention the whole deal can just be slid up onto a trail or what have you if you need to move long distance.

Sorry probably should have explained that a little better in the original post ?

Edited by Wolfdog91
  • Like 2
18 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Standard kennel system as used in NZ too. Sometimes I wonder what the colonies must think to UK kennels? Over-engineered or just different requirements/standards?

Yeah, I've seen them in NZ and Australia, but not with the solid wooden base, seen slatted wooden base.

They usually have a mesh base, but I'm not keen on that either.

Maybe a plastic, or fibre glass sort of base would be better ?

IMG_0103.JPG.3d0de1b83a27d32f3c84ec6f6da4fd0e.JPG

Cheers.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

Yeah, I've seen them in NZ and Australia, but not with the solid wooden base, seen slatted wooden base.

They usually have a mesh base, but I'm not keen on that either.

Maybe a plastic, or fibre glass sort of base would be better ?

IMG_0103.JPG.3d0de1b83a27d32f3c84ec6f6da4fd0e.JPG

Cheers.

I assumed it was slatted tbh. Very simple setups. Usually chain link too. Even for the proper pens I’ve seen on dirt or a base.

It must just be down to what’s considered an acceptable budget/standard in different countries. In the UK that sort of setup would be frowned on.

3 hours ago, jukel123 said:

I have heard it said plastic barrels are too hot in the summer and too cold in winter. Condensation with plastic may be a problem too. But the opening  for the dog is pretty big so that might not be a problem.

Used plastic  barrels for yrs,decent size opening and a floor on timber runners inside,few drainage holes and the dogs are warm and dry,in the summer when it's hot they sit on top if you make a little platform ?20170522_192458.jpg.45e91eb995eebb3e7a8d037a94ea9807.jpg

• Like 9
1 hour ago, sid g said:

same as the ones i saw in finland -- the floors are easily replaced not only do the dogs knacker the floors the weather does . in the winter these set ups get moved up to the side of the houses or into out buildings and they have special made tarpaulin cover for the sides in winter  

Were they using the fox terriers when you were in Finland mate ? 
Was there a lad called Ben on your trip ?