New Zealand bans smoking.......

1 minute ago, sandymere said:

NEWS.CANCERRESEARCHUK.ORG

The cost of lung cancer to the UK economy is Ј2.4 billion each year, far higher than the cost of any other cancer. This highlights the urgent need to continue to reduce...
WWW.THELANCET.COM

2.4 + 1.9 billion, smoking is an expensive business.

So is alcohol related illness

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was stood outside the front at work today smoking in the freezing cold wearing shorts  some geezer came past “Jesus lads , your keen , I don’t know how you do it to yourself “  clearly , he

Some lad you are talking about not liking fags and you being one ye massive poofter. Now get your fat bloodied ahole off the chaise lounge and take that fat poodle for a shite. 

I’ll just sit back and have a nice relaxing smoke while you lot argue about this ?

Posted Images

NEWS.CANCERRESEARCHUK.ORG

The cost of lung cancer to the UK economy is Ј2.4 billion each year, far higher than the cost of any other cancer. This highlights the urgent need to continue to reduce...
WWW.THELANCET.COM

2.4 + 1.9 billion, smoking is an expensive business.

I think alcohol still beats that though. 

And obesity is predicted to be costing the NHS around 10 billion a year by 2050

• Like 1
Just now, SheepChaser said:

The single greatest environmental and societal threat to us, is our exploding population. Nothing can cope with the rate it is growing. And yet we are constantly trying to make everyone live as long as possible and reproduce endlessly. 

Are we? in countries like the UK, having good health tends to reduce number of children.

OURWORLDINDATA.ORG

Measured as the total fertility rate, which is the number of children that would be born to the average woman if she were to live to the end of her child-bearing years...

OURWORLDINDATA.ORG

In the past the average woman had five children. In the past fifty years, this number has halved as a result of women empowerment, declining child mortality and...

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Yet I’d agree that Francie is hitting it a bit hard! But smoking that vape all day every day .... I’m not sure it’s better than someone else who has the odd spliff from time to time. 

Our of interest what don’t you quit vaping? 

perhaps its not but its deffo better than 40/50 rollies a day.

a combination of when i tried i struggled with the withdrawls and was f***ing horrible and i actually enjoy it 

Are we? in countries like the UK, having good health tends to reduce number of children.

OURWORLDINDATA.ORG

Measured as the total fertility rate, which is the number of children that would be born to the average woman if she were to live to the end of her child-bearing years...

OURWORLDINDATA.ORG

In the past the average woman had five children. In the past fifty years, this number has halved as a result of women empowerment, declining child mortality and...

Globally yes we are.

One of the ironies to this story is the fact that Newzealand is f***ing vast and they are worries about some shepherd up a mountain on a huge remote station ....... f**k me NZ has plenty more to worry about I would think !  

2 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

perhaps its not but its deffo better than 40/50 rollies a day.

a combination of when i tried i struggled with the withdrawls and was f***ing horrible and i actually enjoy it 

Could well be, but plenty don’t smoke to that level.

So you take the risk of the potential of health damage from vaping because you like it and struggle to give jt ip, that’s fair.

1 minute ago, SheepChaser said:

Could well be, but plenty don’t smoke to that level.

So you take the risk of the potential of health damage from vaping because you like it and struggle to give jt ip, that’s fair.

i know its not extensive proof but we got my gran to move from fags to a vape and her copd hasnt progressed in the last 4/5 years that she has been on one so im convinced its better than tobacco 

20 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

The single greatest environmental and societal threat to us, is our exploding population. Nothing can cope with the rate it is growing. And yet we are constantly trying to make everyone live as long as possible and reproduce endlessly. 

In general western societies do have an ageing society, but the less civilised countries have the knocking kids out like rabbits repro rates. 

1 minute ago, South hams hunter said:

i know its not extensive proof but we got my gran to move from fags to a vape and her copd hasnt progressed in the last 4/5 years that she has been on one so im convinced its better than tobacco 

I don’t doubt it is mate: 

My objections all surround the idea or the nanny state. 

Just now, mackem said:

In general western societies do have an ageing society, but the less civilised countries have the knocking kids out like rabbits repro rates. 

Agreed. Both of which are causing massive issues. I was being a little tongue in cheek re the letting folk die thing, but there is a little bit of truth there. 

10 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

I think alcohol still beats that though. 

And obesity is predicted to be costing the NHS around 10 billion a year by 2050

indeed we need to look for long term strategies to meet these issues but that doesn't take from the fact that tobacco is the low hanging fruit and as a percentage of users in comparison to say alcohol causes much more harm, 2 out of three long term users will die of tobacco related disease which is a lot higher than drinking. 

• Like 4

I don’t doubt it is mate: 

My objections all surround the idea or the nanny state. 

i get that but it also makes sense imo. its a completely unnecessary cost and lets be honest youll mainly hear smokers say i wish i had never started so stopping it at source has to be easier than the aftermath

Agreed. Both of which are causing massive issues. I was being a little tongue in cheek re the letting folk die thing, but there is a little bit of truth there. 

Back to Asia, I think from memory Singapore, Hong Kong and Korea or Taiwan had 1.1 kids average or thereabouts, parts of Africa had 6 or 7 ? the only free entertainment in the gutter is sex and violence.