Saluki's and their crosses.

4 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

you are a whippet man mate ?they might look fast chasing a soft hare on grass land 

how is killing the uk’s fastest quarry single pathetic mate ? 

No, Magoo, I'm not a whippet man.  I've owned whippets which caught hares, and I've owned lurchers which caught hares, both with fair law, and caught said coursed hare WELL UNDER a minute.  Believe it or not Magoo, these weren't exceptiinal dogs.  ?

• Like 1

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rambo, 10 months old ready to start learning his job over the spring 

My rabbiting bitch . Keeps me happy

Right,I'll tell ye this ,once only,....cause I don't bother with the horseshit shovelled out in these pathetic debates,Katchum came with another bloke,he transported back 6 of the pups to England ,he

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I started with lurchers on day time hare, and it's still my favourite field sport, but by no means my only one.

These days, if I ONLY done day time hares, I'd want an up and at 'em, wiz banger type, maybe a little bit of Saluki, but mainly non-ped Whippet and greyhound, possibly some other type in the breeding.

I want to be on and off the field sharpish and move on, I don't want a dog being towed around the field for 4/5/6 minutes.

Now, mC, please don't give me a lecture on the superiority of heavily influenced Saluki types, I've been there ? ?, and I'm certainly not knocking the type.

Its just the personal opinion of an old man.

Cheers.

it’s the personal opinion of a senile old ? ?

only joking mate ? 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, shaaark said:

No, Magoo, I'm not a whippet man.  I've owned whippets which caught hares, and I've owned lurchers which caught hares, both with fair law, and caught said coursed hare WELL UNDER a minute.  Believe it or not Magoo, these weren't exceptiinal dogs.  ?

7 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I started with lurchers on day time hare, and it's still my favourite field sport, but by no means my only one.

These days, if I ONLY done day time hares, I'd want an up and at 'em, wiz banger type, maybe a little bit of Saluki, but mainly non-ped Whippet and greyhound, possibly some other type in the breeding.

I want to be on and off the field sharpish and move on, I don't want a dog being towed around the field for 4/5/6 minutes.

Now, mC, please don't give me a lecture on the superiority of heavily influenced Saluki types, I've been there ? ?, and I'm certainly not knocking the type.

Its just the personal opinion of an old man.

Cheers.

how do you rate the deerhound types you go with now charts what they have in the tank on one 3 mins ? 

4 minutes ago, shaaark said:

believe it or not mate sal x kill plenty under a minute 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 26/11/2021 at 14:31, border lad said:

well lads there is an old saying you breed a dog for the land you are going to run your dogs on,

Back in the day late 50s 60s, we bred colliexgrey x Deerhound xgrey,  those two breeds were bred from working stock IE, the collie was from aworking hill collie and the grey was a coursing grey, the Deerhound was from a working Scottish Deerhound, that blood is no longer available, today, I must state that that those breeds, were hard bred dogs and were more than capable of putting meat on the table, in DAYLIGHT, and they were never at the vets, or bone man, 

Today the Saluki highbred is yes a running dog = BUT 90% need to run there quarry for about 4to 5 minutes before they make a score other words they are running there quarry into the ground there has been a few good ones up here but very few, I was always a daylight man, and my opinion a good dog will perform on most ground, I have never run on the Slope, like your dogs have never run the grass parks were the sheep have grazed, The hare can run and so can the good dog, I have only had Saluki blood in my dogs for the past few years, I have had more disappointments, than I care to mention 

one good one was bred from Lucas, I believe she was the best bitch that was bred down from Lucas, her dam was the old Scottish Hare coursing blood,  the sires gene an her gene just matched, she took out 4 In one field up here in December, 

down in Yorkshire she ran two and put two to bed, I put it on (The hills and Fens) which is no longer running, That was in the middle of January,  there was one guy on there slating the dog Called Lucas, and I offered him to come up and have a couple of runs, he declined,  now to kill all the myths about Scottish Hares the brown ones I am talking about Now is the time to start running them IF IT WAS ALLOWED, what I have seen of the modern Saluki high breed yes there has been great ones the best  But they are very few and far between,    these are facts not fiction, am to old to walk the fields now  I 76cgoing an a couple but struggle with some fences ,  76 going 77      and i still walk my dog twice a day I am just going out for a walk with him now,

I can’t agree with that a lot mate . 

ive seen and owned dozens of saluki blooded dogs that have marmalised hares all over Annan and Dumfries . This talk of four and five mins , not up there mate. 

as for using wee Bob , wee Bob was a first cross saluki greyhound to injun joe . why use him if 90 % of dogs cant catch up there ?? 

the only way most hares get away there is if they can go unsighted on a hill ,fields left / south of the a75 usuallly bank downwards, it’s literally like shooting fish in a barrel with a quick type . My Sal grey used to break them up in 30 - 40 secs if there were kicked outta that ground pal . 

Not trying to be a prick but to compare the fens with Dumfriesshire is a bit rich pal ??

hope ya enjoyed ya walk 

Just now, mC HULL said:

how do you rate the deerhound types you go with now charts what they have in the tank on one 3 mins ? 

They aren't day time hare dogs. They will kill, but there's better alternatives.

Ive allways been very skeptical of times and slip distances. A 4 minutes course is usually more like 1 1/2 minutes, and a 200 yard slip is usually more like 50 yards. 

I'm a great believer in the old saying; "don't believe anything you hear, and only half you see", especially where dogs are concerned.

Maybe I'm more cynical than senile ?

Cheers.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Ive allways been very skeptical of times and slip distances. A 4 minutes course is usually more like 1 1/2 minutes, and a 200 yard slip is usually more like 50 yards. 

Aint that the truth, charts?!  And that REALLY IS THE TRUTH.

10 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I can’t agree with that a lot mate . 

ive seen and owned dozens of saluki blooded dogs that have marmalised hares all over Annan and Dumfries . This talk of four and five mins , not up there mate. 

as for using wee Bob , wee Bob was a first cross saluki greyhound to injun joe . why use him if 90 % of dogs cant catch up there ?? 

the only way most hares get away there is if they can go unsighted on a hill ,fields left / south of the a75 usuallly bank downwards, it’s literally like shooting fish in a barrel with a quick type . My Sal grey used to break them up in 30 - 40 secs if there were kicked outta that ground pal . 

Not trying to be a prick but to compare the fens with Dumfriesshire is a bit rich pal ??

hope ya enjoyed ya walk 

Stiffy,  I think Ian is talking past tense . As the man says he hasn't owned a lot of saluki xs. And more than likely compared the saluki hybrids of the 80s when I'm sure he was at the game hardest . As you say wee bob sharpened the mongrel bred bitches he went to up . I have had 2 out him and both very good dogs . But to say one of them was the best in the country,  no , I haven't seen most dogs go . Run Annan myself,  and whilst you can get a good hare anywhere . I do find a higher percentage of Mr rights pop up on the far south East Coast of Scotland . Again its all opinions.  Enjoy your dogs lads 

• Like 1

My deerhound x killed thousands more gear than the wee Bob dog bitch rabbits in the 30s on lamp 3s regular the occasional 5 at the also seen her take rhf front of the other bitch  beginning of the season the wee bob bitch was better hare dog single prob  but all in all a weak product if you ask me my bitch was way more up for anything she came from innerlethan a cross country runner ang game keeper she was a very aggressive bitch even to humans she rag a german shepard in two fckn minutes alote those saluki x are cowards not them all but a good majority