So joined a UK carp group

5 hours ago, downsouth said:

Im pals with a few of the well known namwe in the carp angling world,work with a couple and have been mates with one since school and have a few of the top waters in the country right on my doorstep.To say they dedicated their life to it would be an understatement.All decent enough lads away from fishing but if I met a couple of them around a fishing lake Id probably wanna punch them in the face and throw them in.

Paul Forward ? 

• Like 1

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lot of carp anglers in the UK aren't really anglers in a broader sense. A bit like driven pheasant shooters aren't really countrysports people. They simply cannot see beyond their own narrow world. 

Wolfie and Ricky ,please join an air gunners page ,and get back to us .

Wolf dog reading that post

Posted Images

Don't know if you lads know Dave Liddle?

He has emperor lakes in Devon and had a big fishery in France.

Was introduced to him a good few years back off a mate I met on here (SeanC), he's a top bloke and knows his specimen fishing... he also is a fishery consultant and has been out and looked at my place with a view to helping in the future with my long term plans...

His main lake is a syndicate lake, but he wanted a load of tench moved so me and Sean went down one day and fished it...one tench...but the best day roach fishing I have ever had... small fish were a pound and we caught a lot of 2lb fish plus a fair few over that...it was mental!! Fat perfect condition roach that had never been caught...we had over 50 fish like this... fishing light swim feeder tactics close to an island...the carp boys wouldn't even know they were there...I had one of my favourite days fishing...lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, WILF said:

Paul Forward ? 

Hahaha lives 2 minutes down the road from me and works on quite a few of the same jobs as me.I went to school and am still quite good mates with Mowgli too.Oz is another lad I know and is a top fella on and off the lakes.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, NEWKID said:

Don't know if you lads know Dave Liddle?

He has emperor lakes in Devon and had a big fishery in France.

Was introduced to him a good few years back off a mate I met on here (SeanC), he's a top bloke and knows his specimen fishing... he also is a fishery consultant and has been out and looked at my place with a view to helping in the future with my long term plans...

His main lake is a syndicate lake, but he wanted a load of tench moved so me and Sean went down one day and fished it...one tench...but the best day roach fishing I have ever had... small fish were a pound and we caught a lot of 2lb fish plus a fair few over that...it was mental!! Fat perfect condition roach that had never been caught...we had over 50 fish like this... fishing light swim feeder tactics close to an island...the carp boys wouldn't even know they were there...I had one of my favourite days fishing...lol

Why would he want to move tench out? 

Just now, DIDO.1 said:

Why would he want to move tench out? 

Moved into another lake mate, the syndicate lake was pretty much a big carp lake, plus some very big cats (that have been moved as well).. alot of the big bait and tackle companies used this lake for promotion pieces etc, a huge carp was caught the morning we were there and Sean is a professional photographer so done the pics for it...over 30lb (don't remember weight as not my thing)... but that is what these lads want to catch, so thinning the tench out meant the carp were the fish over the bait...again not my thing...

Dave knows how to run a fishery mate... I took my lad on and he let us fish another pond for the day, sort of bloke you could listen to for a while, done a lot and paid by sponsors to fish...not a bad life!! Lol weve done each other a few favours since and I find him a good bloke... 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok another question that kinda baffles me. 

When did carp care become such a big thing ? Don't get me wrong I'm all for not treating a fish like crap especially if their a fairly delicate fish by nature like a trout or something but what's with all these guys wanting to loose their minds over "carp care" last time I checked their one of the toughest fish out there. And don't get me wrong I try to sit back and see where their coming from but seems 90% of these guys are just blurting out crap they read their supposed to do from the latest magazine. I've seen carp live through alot of stuff that was supposed to kill them yet there's people I've seen saying it should be a requirement to have basically fish first aid kits ( some kinda salve and anti biotics). You have to remove the hook with the correct motion of the wrist ect.  I mean again I can kind understand a unhooking matt in certain situations ( especially if it's one of these big ones that have a gut extended a extra few inches ) but I've seen guys getting chastised for laying a average carp in grass for a few seconds to take a picture. Just seems so weird to me.

Also I took some if y'all advice and got out most of the groups because it was just a big jerk of fest 90% of the time.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

When did carp care become such a big thing ? Don't get me wrong I'm all for not treating a fish like crap especially if their a fairly delicate fish by nature like a trout or something but what's with all these guys wanting to loose their minds over "carp care" last time I checked their one of the toughest fish out there. And don't get me wrong I try to sit back and see where their coming from but seems 90% of these guys are just blurting out crap they read their supposed to do from the latest magazine. I've seen carp live through alot of stuff that was supposed to kill them yet there's people I've seen saying it should be a requirement to have basically fish first aid kits ( some kinda salve and anti biotics). You have to remove the hook with the correct motion of the wrist ect.  I mean again I can kind understand a unhooking matt in certain situations ( especially if it's one of these big ones that have a gut extended a extra few inches ) but I've seen guys getting chastised for laying a average carp in grass for a few seconds to take a picture. Just seems so weird to me.

Also I took some if y'all advice and got out most of the groups because it was just a big jerk of fest 90% of the time.

Big carp in the UK are a huge investment for a fishery, some of them are worth a couple of grand.

There are also the fish on big pits that may not have been caught for years.

The last thing you want is some clown letting them flap about on hard baked banks or gravel.

So really it’s just a basic welfare issue, doing what you can because you can.

No different to looking after your game areas or raising birds for a shoot, no reason to be casual when you can do a bit more than that and keep things really good type stuff.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Carp care,yeah right,no closed seasons on most commercial carp lakes and folk fishing for them every day all for the £'s and lb's. Baits need to be rhubarb and custard flavoured bullshit and weights need to look like pebbles due to how much pressure the fish have taken 24/7 365 days a year and they moan you ain't got a quilted silk lined unhooking matt..:doh:

• Haha 1

I think good fish care should be a given if you are not keeping a fish for the table, no matter the fish.

Because of the size of carp, pike, barbel etc the use of unhooking mats are an obvious one, why let them smash around in the dirt?

But as above treating everything you catch with care is just good practice, and if your keeping a fish (sea and game in this country) then kill it quick the same as any animal.

Can't get my head around why anyone would question the care of stock (whether wild or commercial) for the future...

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

I think good fish care should be a given if you are not keeping a fish for the table, no matter the fish.

Because of the size of carp, pike, barbel etc the use of unhooking mats are an obvious one, why let them smash around in the dirt?

But as above treating everything you catch with care is just good practice, and if your keeping a fish (sea and game in this country) then kill it quick the same as any animal.

Can't get my head around why anyone would question the care of stock (whether wild or commercial) for the future...

?

6 hours ago, NEWKID said:

The trend in this part of the world is to use a suspended canvas type trough with water in it when unhooking carp. They all have them set up ready for action along with a huge landing net stuck up vertical like a flag, a spare rod with a spomb dangling from it and a couple of hundred Euros worth of boilies, pop-ups and glugs on display on a picnic table. They all set up like that. It is laughable.

Last summer I came across one of these unhooking  troughs set up in full sun with the temperature of the water at almost 40C. Poached fish anyone?

6 hours ago, NEWKID said:

It's not the caring bit it's the rightous dickhead carp boys who will put down every other fecker and yet there the worse for never giving the fish a break, ffs half the big carp have names there caught so fecking often and for what i pic with some scales showing it was 3 oz's bigger than it was yesterday. But it's ok as we got a unhooking matt and a bag to keep it in over night so we get a better day light pic,sorry mate not my cup of tea at all....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, fireman said:

It's not the caring bit it's the rightous dickhead carp boys who will put down every other fecker and yet there the worse for never giving the fish a break, ffs half the big carp have names there caught so fecking often and for what i pic with some scales showing it was 3 oz's bigger than it was yesterday. But it's ok as we got a unhooking matt and a bag to keep it in over night so we get a better day light pic,sorry mate not my cup of tea at all....

Puddle Chucking for pets; your right if they didn't pester those fish so often they wouldn't need the gear they do to return them. We remove the hook out the fish and chuck it back, we don't use any matts, slings or medie kits but we are catching sea fish that haven't seen a hook in atleast a week ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nicepix said:

The trend in this part of the world is to use a suspended canvas type trough with water in it when unhooking carp. They all have them set up ready for action along with a huge landing net stuck up vertical like a flag, a spare rod with a spomb dangling from it and a couple of hundred Euros worth of boilies, pop-ups and glugs on display on a picnic table. They all set up like that. It is laughable.

Last summer I came across one of these unhooking  troughs set up in full sun with the temperature of the water at almost 40C. Poached fish anyone?

1 hour ago, fireman said:

My point isn't about riteous carp fisherman, the scene is not my cup of tea either and but that's by the by... Good practice should be encouraged and taught... my kids can fish they get shown how to use a discrorger from day 1, I very rarely take a bigger fish out of the landing net, it is unhooked and realesed without even handling it ... even that shark the other day was back in the water without being lifted for a pic or measured as for me the welfare is more important than a fish being out of the water too long...

I agree many carp lads have some strange attitudes, I also from personal experience know the very good ones lead the way many times in methods, fish care, watercraft etc.... I wouldn't chuck them all in one pot because the majority smash commercials for shit fish and shit pics..

I'm just a fisherman, give me a rod by a river, on a lake, on the beach or or on a boat and I'm happy... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, NEWKID said:

I don't man, again , it's a carp, mabye it's just the way I was brought up fishing here and seeing all the stuff they can go through and survive it's just  beyond me that some of these ideas persist.  Mabye it's because their like the most holy of fish over there as I've been told .Makes sense I guess with these big trophy fish in these fancy lakes and all like WILF said but I can't say the same at all for a common wild carp.The same fish that can survive living in low oxygen water and thrive in some pretty crap water will be perfectly fine laying in some grass or getting a little mud on it for the whole 20secs it's gonna take to unhook it.  I'm not saying all this stuff I see is wrong but people baying for somones right to fish to be taken away because a fish is sat in some grass is beyond crazy to me.

• Like 3