• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

?

This pup I have has been out with me from the start, we’ve had some cracking nights on the phezzies , the more you get among the pheasants the better your pup will be. How old is your pup ?.

An auld veteran she still loves a night on the birds

Posted Images

9 hours ago, fred90 said:

it's a strange one, some love feather other's don't. I would definitely encourage the pup. little dog I have now has Jaws like a gin trap with rat, rabbit, squirrel. yet feathers she hardly mouths them and tends to hold them. she's had a couple of pheasant and 10 woodpidgeons. she found her 1st pheasant nest before a year old. 

Screenshot_20180504-084516_Gallery.jpg

My old whippety dog good at  finding kaney nests ,other two don't bother but he's got a thing for knowing where they are , tasty as well but you got to know best time to take them for eating .

1 minute ago, Moocher71 said:

My old whippety dog good at  finding kaney nests ,other two don't bother but he's got a thing for knowing where they are , tasty as well but you got to know best time to take them for eating .

Damd fine custard 

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, Mr Wilkes said:

This pup I have has been out with me from the start, we’ve had some cracking nights on the phezzies , the more you get among the pheasants the better your pup will be. How old is your pup ?.

3898E4E9-2679-4755-A37B-50B427F1379F.jpeg

She’s around 8 months or so, not done a lot with her yet tbh. Just working on obedience and bit of retrieving but she’s definitely interested in feathers. 

• Like 2

A lot of lurchers will catch birds but don’t give a full retrieve ( spit em out on way back) what I’ve found best is if you can get hold of duck ( teal or wigeon ) and start em off retrieving those, hardly any feathers to come out and they float in water. 

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Mr Wilkes said:

A lot of lurchers will catch birds but don’t give a full retrieve ( spit em out on way back) what I’ve found best is if you can get hold of duck ( teal or wigeon ) and start em off retrieving those, hardly any feathers to come out and they float in water. 

Pigeons have extremely loose feathers and can mess up a dog retrieve very easily. A guy once told me to cut the corner off a plastic bag and poke the pigeons head through for training. He reckoned it would make the dog retrieve the pigeon by its head only. He said dogs don’t like the feeling of a plastic bag in their mouths!!! I never did give it ago, my dog at the time used to nick any plastic carrier bags left laying around and rip them to shreds if given the chance. 

• Haha 4

I think they should be encouraged. Pheasant s are bloody hard to catch mind, vegetation needs to be tall enough to allow the dog to get close but not so tall it impedes the jump. Also it's not all positives, it will mean keeping them on a lead more if you are in a public place particularly near waterfowl that are used to dogs. I've had a couple of embarrassing incidents ☹️, just saying ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Allan P said:

Pigeons have extremely loose feathers and can mess up a dog retrieve very easily. A guy once told me to cut the corner off a plastic bag and poke the pigeons head through for training. He reckoned it would make the dog retrieve the pigeon by its head only. He said dogs don’t like the feeling of a plastic bag in their mouths!!! I never did give it ago, my dog at the time used to nick any plastic carrier bags left laying around and rip them to shreds if given the chance. 

I know a few that cut a hole in a sock and put a pigeon inside, the dog will retrieve the pigeon without a mouth full of feathers. Good for starting pups.

• Like 3

I think it depends on the individual dog. this one takes pheasant and pigeons. won't look at ducks, wildfowl. put it down to being a pup I regularly took her through Hardwick Hall Park and stopped her chasing wildfowl, that was early training, recall, stockbreaking, etc. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Allan P said:

She’s around 8 months or so, not done a lot with her yet tbh. Just working on obedience and bit of retrieving but she’s definitely interested in feathers. 

Looks lovely strong pup mate ?

• Thanks 1