My pup seems obsessed with birds and is constantly trying to nail them in the garden. I’m hoping she doesn’t grew out of it and accidentally nabs a few pheasants on our mooches. Anyone else’s dog take to feathers?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

?

This pup I have has been out with me from the start, we’ve had some cracking nights on the phezzies , the more you get among the pheasants the better your pup will be. How old is your pup ?.

An auld veteran she still loves a night on the birds

Posted Images

Let her carry on mate. Get a few pheasant wings for her to play with and get used to the scent and mouthing them.  Get her to find them etc. Plenty of encouragement if she’s out on the ground looking for them and catching a few. Be careful you don’t end up with a spaniel though ?

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, white van man said:

Let her carry on mate. Get a few pheasant wings for her to play with and get used to the scent and mouthing them.  Get her to find them etc. Plenty of encouragement if she’s out on the ground looking for them and catching a few. Be careful you don’t end up with a spaniel though ?

Hello mate hope you’re well? Yeah that sounds like a plan definitely will be encouraging her. I might get into beating again but see how she goes ,she’s a bit sensitive but seems to be getting more and more confident. Maybe a shoot day will be pushing it a bit but she’s still young yet. 

14 minutes ago, Allan P said:

Hello mate hope you’re well? Yeah that sounds like a plan definitely will be encouraging her. I might get into beating again but see how she goes ,she’s a bit sensitive but seems to be getting more and more confident. Maybe a shoot day will be pushing it a bit but she’s still young yet. 

Won’t get a shoot day till October? How old would she be then?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

A good poachers should be takin feather I wouldn’t discourage your think of them free dinners ?

EE33CC96-8DA9-4B3B-99C3-7B196E79C380.jpeg

I totally agree, I’ll be more than happy if she can nab a few.  I’m not that fussed about numbers of any quarry really, just like watching a dog work. 

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Won’t get a shoot day till October? How old would she be then?

Yes mate I know she’ll be a year old, I won’t be rushing her and will probably just hang around to begin with see how she reacts. 

Edited by Allan P
40 minutes ago, Allan P said:

I totally agree, I’ll be more than happy if she can nab a few.  I’m not that fussed about numbers of any quarry really, just like watching a dog work. 

Exactly mate that’s what’s it all about or should be , good luck with your pup

• Thanks 1