Hello there. I have a jack Russell pup coming in the next few weeks when he is ready to leave his mother. He’s from working stock and I am hoping to try him out when he’s ready. I would just like to get some advice or pointers from people on here as to what sort of diet you think is best for working terriers? I Want to keep him in best condition I can, strong and healthy. All comments very much appreciated. 

Raw meat and veg , 

I feed mixture of chicken mince , beef mince , tripe , chicken wings turkey neck , rabbit , pheasant, mixed vegetables, 

but seen plenty decent working dogs in great condition fed on just chicken mince and a decent bag buscuits and some meaty bones every now and then 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The terriers I've had seemed to like a wider variety of foods including fruit and veg they steal from the garden than the running dogs that turn their noses up if it's not protein. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, Diggerman Dan said:

Hello there. I have a jack Russell pup coming in the next few weeks when he is ready to leave his mother. He’s from working stock and I am hoping to try him out when he’s ready. I would just like to get some advice or pointers from people on here as to what sort of diet you think is best for working terriers? I Want to keep him in best condition I can, strong and healthy. All comments very much appreciated. 

Get down butchers and fishmongers ask for the waste pay if ya have to get lamb ribs, pigs trotters,fatty beef trimmings, chicken carcuss, salmon heads fresh tuna etc coupled with a couple slices brown bread is what mine get last few months used to mix the meat and fish with Australian formula greyhound food but they seemed to start getting the shits when on it even when only fed as 25 of the diet switched to brown bread n pasta mixed with it instead much better no problems 👍

• Thanks 1

The B.A.R.F diet is the way to go if you have access to the food & the time to do the prep. A lifetimes of info is available on the subject.

If, like the majority of folk you only have the time to feed a kibble mix, then buy the best you can afford.

Whatever way you go, I would start by doing what the breeder is doing & slowly transition to the method you want.

Enjoy the pup 👍

Edited by butcherboy
  • Thanks 1

For hard working dogs I swear by using sf50 sprinkled over a meal once a day. I’m raising my pups on it now. 

• Thanks 1

I feed Fresh beef tripe with a good quality low protein nut, just for a bit of fiber and bits that they don’t get from the meat. Throw sardines in oil (not brine) every few day too. Just what I give others will be different

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.