Bit of Spanish bushing.

27 minutes ago, TOMO said:

feel free to tell us all about your rabbit hunts in spain...and how your pack of terriers or whatever are so much better

How can it be called bushing when nothing actually goes in a bush lol ? Dont use a pack of terriers either use one or two terriers unless theres a few out on similar type ground to that sometimes little patches of gorse  rocky dead ground. Its like turning upto a warren with 10 shit ferrets theyll still bolt rabbits but they aint doing the job of two good ferrets are they thats the way i look at it anyway. 

good luck to them but to me it aint bushing its hunting with a pack of dogs and cant be compared to the sort of thing were doing imo

• Like 1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It looks like a good day out to me. It never fails to amaze me how we feel qualified to judge others people hunting in parts of the world we've never been to and yet won't be judged ourselves. Hunters

I don't think most folks realize how a big boar can creep past you but you're right they can.Years ago some of us hog hunters had access to a 1000 acre high fence.We put a big boar in there.Years late

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Wales1234 said:

Iv seen full packs hounds not touch a fox i front of there noses ?

Some couldn't kill 1 locked in a phone box?Ive watched hounds stop dead when the fox has stopped running... Blowing out of its arse 10 feet from me... The lead hound was nudging its arse to make it run again ? I won't embarrass the pack or the huntsman... Gave my opinion.... They won't ask me back?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In these situations the gorse/brush is more prolific than open spaces. It's like a spikey maze of pain and bloody thorns ? Would terriers get right into the bushes, of course. Would 3-4 dogs be able to cover all angles? No! Hence ?‍♂️

If you have a massive warren to ferret, you ain't just putting two stinkers down. You have dogs on top, purse nets, longnets etc. Same thing here except they don't put ferrets down and they don't net or longnet because the land doesn't allow it. So they have a truckload of dogs do the job

• Like 1
2 hours ago, toolebox said:

With so many rabbits back then a good dog given this amount of work could become a champ. If several rabbits were jumped at the same time the pack would spit  & I'm sure that any dog that was no good would be culled quickly .In the later rabbit board days where there were low rabbit population's  field workers were paid for 6 dogs other boards paid for more as they were required more dogs on the ground to get the job done ,remember this wasn't sport   .

Yeah I think they would have culled any useless dogs straight away. A mate worked for the pasture protection board here, they had a large number of dogs kennelled to work. They would just get any likely mutt from the pound to replenish the dogs. The dogs were only there to push rabbits to ground and locate holes which were then laced with foxtoxin tabs and filled in, gassing the rabbits. This was in the 90's, not sure if they still operate. I remember him telling me 4 or 5 smaller dogs got hold of a huge feral cat that toweled the lot of them up and escaped, lol.

There's a page in Instagram for a podenco pack in Spain, looks like they can do more than just rabbits. They seem to hunt a bit more like hounds, ie as a pack, rather than individuals like lurchers. I think its because they look lurchery that we expect then to hunt differently than they do.

• Like 3
On 16/03/2021 at 12:16, mushroom said:

A group of us went out to Spain, thinking we knew what was what... schooled isn't the word. If that's what works for them, who are we to say it's wrong ?‍♂️

The pics I posted, I can guarantee they knew their job and how to do it ;)

I think it was painfully obvious at least half the folk on that trip had never caught more than a rabbit before. ? 

29 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

I think it was painfully obvious at least half the folk on that trip had never caught more than a rabbit before. ? 

I like to think that all of us were there to learn and hunt new quarry. No matter what we had caught/hunted in the past. I know I've learnt a lot from returning to that land and listening to the chaps that are up there regular. I've seen it from the peg and from walking with the packs. With much gratitude, I was given the choice of what I wanted to do (Cheers Alectoris) and it taught me how and why they do it this way here ;)

I still reckon we could hunt that land with the runners, if we have dog friendly packs pushing through and put a min of two dogs at each peg.... As Alectoris tried to tell us ?‍♂️?

If it can be done with rifles this way, it can also be done with capable dogs imo. I'd be there in a heartbeat hoping my dickhead catches one and cops it lol, but that's only a dream, this cnut would survive a nuclear attack just to piss me off ?

• 3 weeks later...

I have been out and see a Spanish pack hunting rabbit and it was a good day out ,they had small ruff coated terrier types and ibiza hounds .the dogs belonged to several villagers that came together to clear coney from scrub land. Noisy bunch but good fun and id go again and they worked some ruff ol ground .

• Like 1
On 19/03/2021 at 07:18, Tyla said:

There's a page in Instagram for a podenco pack in Spain, looks like they can do more than just rabbits. They seem to hunt a bit more like hounds, ie as a pack, rather than individuals like lurchers. I think its because they look lurchery that we expect then to hunt differently than they do.

They do boar ,deer ,coney and hare with these packs .

On 13/03/2021 at 19:22, sandymere said:

Pack i see work just outside palma had several ruff coated runners and 4 small ruff coated terrier types that looked like they had some kind of herder in them ,

Had a great day with really good people and I got the invite from a cab driver who picked us up from airport ,

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

Pack i see work just outside palma had several ruff coated runners and 4 small ruff coated terrier types that looked like they had some kind of herder in them ,

Had a great day with really good people and I got the invite from a cab driver who picked us up from airport ,

They seem to enjoy their sport and have no airs and graces ?, there's a few i chat to from FB and i think everyone has invited me to visit, the sports seem to bypass politics etc .

• Like 3
1 hour ago, sandymere said:

They seem to enjoy their sport and have no airs and graces ?, there's a few i chat to from FB and i think everyone has invited me to visit, the sports seem to bypass politics etc .

I've been invited out by everyone in Spain except the bloody Catalans ?

• Haha 1

I really enjoyed watching the Pondeco pack working. At first they didnt look much but they are a good pack and work naturally with each other, and you dont need a horse or be a long distance runner to get a view. Great to see dogs working like that. 

• Like 1