Bit of Spanish bushing.

On 15/03/2021 at 12:22, mushroom said:

Because the land is huge, covered with brush and boar are smart as fuuck ?

A 150kg boar can creep past you within a few feet and you'd never know it was there. Smaller packs and the boar will run rings around the dogs on that type of land.

I don't think most folks realize how a big boar can creep past you but you're right they can.Years ago some of us hog hunters had access to a 1000 acre high fence.We put a big boar in there.Years later the owner wanted the boar removed.It was July.95 degrees with 90% humidity.We knew the old boar would be hard to find in these conditions.We had quads driving all over the place.We tried my dad's curs and they blanked.We tried a friend's plott hounds but they blanked.After trying numerous dogs from numerous men.We drive back to my dad's and got an old bitch who was coldnose.She found him in a small briarpatch at the edge of a trail.That old boar made every hogdog in Dixie look a fool except one old toothless bitch?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It looks like a good day out to me. It never fails to amaze me how we feel qualified to judge others people hunting in parts of the world we've never been to and yet won't be judged ourselves. Hunters

I don't think most folks realize how a big boar can creep past you but you're right they can.Years ago some of us hog hunters had access to a 1000 acre high fence.We put a big boar in there.Years late

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Rickshaw swami said:

I don't think most folks realize how a big boar can creep past you but you're right they can.Years ago some of us hog hunters had access to a 1000 acre high fence.We put a big boar in there.Years later the owner wanted the boar removed.It was July.95 degrees with 90% humidity.We knew the old boar would be hard to find in these conditions.We had quads driving all over the place.We tried my dad's curs and they blanked.We tried a friend's plott hounds but they blanked.After trying numerous dogs from numerous men.We drive back to my dad's and got an old bitch who was coldnose.She found him in a small briarpatch at the edge of a trail.That old boar made every hogdog in Dixie look a fool except one old toothless bitch?

I had no idea how a boar are first time I went out. We were all told they're sneaky b*****ds and they'll pass by within inches etc and nope. I thought (and so did we all) knew better. We blanked those days and it was a bit of a slap.. Second time I went out (same land), I was at a peg with a rifle... I had a boar fly past me before I could fart. It wasn't huge but it was big enough for me to question how the fuuck I hadn't heard it coming. A crash in the brush and past me like a bat out of hell.... I missed ?‍♂️? all this with 30 dogs on it's tail. Boar are like terriers.. smart, spiteful cnuts!

• Like 1
15 hours ago, mushroom said:

I had no idea how a boar are first time I went out. We were all told they're sneaky b*****ds and they'll pass by within inches etc and nope. I thought (and so did we all) knew better. We blanked those days and it was a bit of a slap.. Second time I went out (same land), I was at a peg with a rifle... I had a boar fly past me before I could fart. It wasn't huge but it was big enough for me to question how the fuuck I hadn't heard it coming. A crash in the brush and past me like a bat out of hell.... I missed ?‍♂️? all this with 30 dogs on it's tail. Boar are like terriers.. smart, spiteful cnuts!

Most people's first encounter is similar if they were honest about it.

?You're right they do have some terrier ways about them.

4 hours ago, C.green said:

Mushroom you ever actually caught one ? ive had me hands on a few and tbh i feel abit sorry for em in the uk very intelligent creatures.

Never caught one. Yep, they are very intelligent, I'd say more than a dog. I've had them come up to within a few metres of my hammock, in the middle of the night. The dog was going fuucking mental, luckily I'd put a lead on him (which I never usually do in the mountains) and attached it to the guy line. The boar stood there for what seemed an eternity, chomping and gnashing, basically putting the fear of God in me and pissing the dog off lol. As soon as they realised he couldn't get at them, that there was no threat, they just slowly wandered off, without a care in the world. I jumped out of the hammock, raised it up as high as I could and slept with my chopper on my lap and a hastily fashioned spear leaning against the hammock ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had groups of 10/15 running through my hotel at night last time we was in Turkey... Wish I'd had a dog and my chopper on me?

Locals sit out and blast them with a shotty for turning over the beehives in the mountains ?next time we go I got a number to get out with a few locals and a pack?DSC_0074.JPG.8171c24a832ae5c4628747ba504b8ca9.JPGDSC_0127.JPG.70fd6cc3e70a2d09c7dfdd1a095a8a50.JPGDSC_0076.JPG.893b5ca90346c53dd2eebd8a66a59033.JPG

• Like 2
On 16/03/2021 at 23:46, TOMO said:

exactly ....some folk just love to judge without ever having done it....

Tomo ,I agree ,how would anyone that doesn't live there ,doesn't hunt there ,doesn't own one of these dogs be able to judge  & evaluate. One cant apply what one does in his own country onto somewhere else in the world based on one video ,I'm sure its done this way because it works well for them  & has done so for many years .

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 1
On 16/03/2021 at 15:12, Aussie Whip said:

I like how the dogs picked their positions around the bushes. Reminds me of what I've heard of rabbit dogs here, pre myxi. Some of the old time rabbiters had 100 plus dogs and would have a full time job catching rabbits on some properties. I used to stay in an old rabbiters hut on one place years ago. The shack was covered in old hooks to hang the rabbits. We would often get 300 for the weekend and sold them at $5 each. Wasn't bad as I was only earning $75 a week as an apprentice.

This was also standard for rabbiters  of the passed here in New Zealand .Plenty of dogs as they had to catch alot of rabbits on any given day ,for hours on end ,then go back out the next day and do it again .Which is a little different than a pet/worker that's only going out at the weekends or one or two days a week. The dogs get buggered,foot sore,,wire ripped  but were expected to carry on and get the job done .

• Like 1
2 hours ago, toolebox said:

This was also standard for rabbiters  of the passed here in New Zealand .Plenty of dogs as they had to catch alot of rabbits on any given day ,for hours on end ,then go back out the next day and do it again .Which is a little different than a pet/worker that's only going out at the weekends or one or two days a week. The dogs get buggered,foot sore,,wire ripped  but were expected to carry on and get the job done .

Someone said on the thread about quantity not quality of dogs in these situations which I sort of agree with. I've heard these old timers would go through a lot of dogs due to injury, in oz overheating and snake bite as well. It was all about a lot of dogs killing a lot of rabbits, where the weekend hunter takes a few, looks after his dogs better most times and probably expects better performance from them. Any injury the old blokes couldn't fix themselves would mean a bullet for the dog. I'm sort of glad I wasn't around in those days, I get a bit attached to the mutts.

49 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Tbh how is it different than a pack of foxhounds going after one fox ? 
when one possibly two dogs could do the job .

Iv seen full packs hounds not touch a fox i front of there noses ?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Tbh how is it different than a pack of foxhounds going after one fox ? 
when one possibly two dogs could do the job .

Sorry I cant possibly give any comment of dogs on fox ,NZ has no fox .

8 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Someone said on the thread about quantity not quality of dogs in these situations which I sort of agree with. I've heard these old timers would go through a lot of dogs due to injury, in oz overheating and snake bite as well. It was all about a lot of dogs killing a lot of rabbits, where the weekend hunter takes a few, looks after his dogs better most times and probably expects better performance from them. Any injury the old blokes couldn't fix themselves would mean a bullet for the dog. I'm sort of glad I wasn't around in those days, I get a bit attached to the mutts.

With so many rabbits back then a good dog given this amount of work could become a champ. If several rabbits were jumped at the same time the pack would spit  & I'm sure that any dog that was no good would be culled quickly .In the later rabbit board days where there were low rabbit population's  field workers were paid for 6 dogs other boards paid for more as they were required more dogs on the ground to get the job done ,remember this wasn't sport   .

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 1
On 16/03/2021 at 11:01, C.green said:

Perhaps some folk know abit more and do abit more than they let on tomo.

feel free to tell us all about your rabbit hunts in spain...and how your pack of terriers or whatever are so much better

• Like 1