Opinions and experiences of running a pure Greyhound...

I’ve had lurchers all my life with just about every breed being in the kennels but never ran a purebred greyhound I’ve had track bitches before and tried them was a super nights lamping but I have now got a new dog pup 5 months old at 23 1/2 TTS already. What’s your thought and past or present dogs you lot have had any stories...

King,atb

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The old first x deer/grey bitch I have was out of Westmead Hawks sister. Very fast in her day for a 29", 75lb bitch. Cheers.

get a good whippet over her....

Bones are like glass and no stamina iv a bitch here was a terrible state when I got her she was that skinny you could see the shape of her skull, when I phoned about her fella told me she was a small

Posted Images

i have one ,her toe on one foot sticks out at a funny angle ,shes fast as hell,calm to keep,i use her when starting off young dogs mainly.only last week hit a tree in the forestry,thankfully no real damage done ..her front wrist is now coming good ...she has shredded her stoppers on a road running a hare (same as any fast dog) She hit a plough in the middle of a field and took a fine skelp from center of her back,and was so lucky she didnt break her neck...In my opinion their just a tad too fast and blind when latched on to a quarry,but shes a great help to get fur around a young dogs mouth when starting out ,She sure put a bend or two into anything fast...she is now spot on with the ferrets and im thinking of trying her on the hedge rows but im not sure shes too kamakazi for that type of stuff.. shes some bitch to rear a litter though ..ive bred one litter out of her and shes produced nice pups..but in the field i think a fast lurcher might be a safer /better option

• Like 5
33 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

i have one ,her toe on one foot sticks out at a funny angle ,shes fast as hell,calm to keep,i use her when starting off young dogs mainly.only last week hit a tree in the forestry,thankfully no real damage done ..her front wrist is now coming good ...she has shredded her stoppers on a road running a hare (same as any fast dog) She hit a plough in the middle of a field and took a fine skelp from center of her back,and was so lucky she didnt break her neck...In my opinion their just a tad too fast and blind when latched on to a quarry,but shes a great help to get fur around a young dogs mouth when starting out ,She sure put a bend or two into anything fast...she is now spot on with the ferrets and im thinking of trying her on the hedge rows but im not sure shes too kamakazi for that type of stuff.. shes some bitch to rear a litter though ..ive bred one litter out of her and shes produced nice pups..but in the field i think a fast lurcher might be a safer /better option

Thanks jigsaw she sounds like a right quick bitch with a lot of prey drive my lad is cracked at only five months tried to get hold of the neighbours cat other day ??

atb

2 hours ago, jigsaw said:

get a good whippet over her....

• Like 6

In my opinion Jigsaw has it right. When I moved into this village, 30 years ago no one else had a decent lamp so one or two people used to borrow my "blue  eye" lamp and lamping became a local craze for a short time. The son of a neighboring farmer used to run his dads greyhounds but it wasn't long before one of them ran into a cast concrete cattle trough ?.

I stopped lending the lamp as it always came back in need of mending. Think the lads used to have a few jars before going.

If you're going to lamp fast or rough ground (and that covers most ground), be very careful.?

Edited by Maximus Ferret

Blows my mind why anyone would use one as a hunter main thing you want with hunting dog is robustness hard enough dealing with little niggles during season pure grey be a nightmare lol 

plus they have zero brain and once the wet comes and there up past ankles in slop what you think will happen lol 

If you want a runner to go out with 4 times a year and be laid quiet the rest of the time I couldn’t think of out better  lol ?? 

15 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

Blows my mind why anyone would use one as a hunter main thing you want with hunting dog is robustness hard enough dealing with little niggles during season pure grey be a nightmare lol 

plus they have zero brain and once the wet comes and there up past ankles in slop what you think will happen lol 

If you want a runner to go out with 4 times a year and be laid quiet the rest of the time I couldn’t think of out better  lol ?? 

Well once taken good care of and worked in fair conditions I can’t see it having much more problems than the average lurcher..

atb

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Kingofthelamp said:

I’ve had lurchers all my life with just about every breed being in the kennels but never ran a purebred greyhound I’ve had track bitches before and tried them was a super nights lamping but I have now got a new dog pup 5 months old at 23 1/2 TTS already. What’s your thought and past or present dogs you lot have had any stories...

King,atb

What you lot think of him ?

F5D047BC-433B-4EFE-A9C2-6DED9F86448E.png

97BFEC4D-293D-46D2-BC27-99D84E732E95.png

F524A561-3476-4E6D-8807-E7E71971AAA9.png

• Like 5

Bones are like glass and no stamina iv a bitch here was a terrible state when I got her she was that skinny you could see the shape of her skull, when I phoned about her fella told me she was a small bitch when I got to meeting point she wasn't that small just a bag of bones tbh I only took her cause I felt sorry for her, wormed her and fed her butcher scraps for about month then got her fit and out lamping, she's a good bitch on a rabbit kill around 8 rabbits with her then she's f****d only got injured once but iv only had her around 8 months, I got her to breed a litter from and used her while my bitch was out from C section so just filled the space, retrieved a good few fallow and has a few things that bite back under her belt so I'm happy with her, but iv had a good few pure greyhounds that have killed them selves a few off concrete cattle drinkers had one hit a gate in full speed coursing hare but they was ex track dogs, the bitch I have now fella said she wasn't going to make the grade but if you see the state of her I'd say if she sprinted a hundred yards she would of dropped dead, but the kids love her easy to hold out lamping and gentle 

• Like 6
21 minutes ago, fenman1# said:

Bones are like glass and no stamina iv a bitch here was a terrible state when I got her she was that skinny you could see the shape of her skull, when I phoned about her fella told me she was a small bitch when I got to meeting point she wasn't that small just a bag of bones tbh I only took her cause I felt sorry for her, wormed her and fed her butcher scraps for about month then got her fit and out lamping, she's a good bitch on a rabbit kill around 8 rabbits with her then she's f****d only got injured once but iv only had her around 8 months, I got her to breed a litter from and used her while my bitch was out from C section so just filled the space, retrieved a good few fallow and has a few things that bite back under her belt so I'm happy with her, but iv had a good few pure greyhounds that have killed them selves a few off concrete cattle drinkers had one hit a gate in full speed coursing hare but they was ex track dogs, the bitch I have now fella said she wasn't going to make the grade but if you see the state of her I'd say if she sprinted a hundred yards she would of dropped dead, but the kids love her easy to hold out lamping and gentle 

I have been told by a few they haven’t got enough stamina to keep going for a couple hour hoping once I keep it as fit as I can it will be ok and plan to stud it if all works out,I’ve heard of them taking fox no problem and stinkers...

10 minutes ago, Kingofthelamp said:

I have been told by a few they haven’t got enough stamina to keep going for a couple hour hoping once I keep it as fit as I can it will be ok and plan to stud it if all works out,I’ve heard of them taking fox no problem and stinkers...

I’ve seen a good few on fox been good but like you say stamina bad it’s not like a lurchers mate we’re it’ll walk home knackered once it’s f****d your carrying lol 

I think two things has come from this convo......their not for serious heavy duty or stacking up the body count...but they are a good craic and id class em as WHIZZBANGERS... they be whizzing about ad you be having a banger watching it lol....i was in the forestry last weekend ,we ran a hare down the path,into a bit of wood and the few seconds it lasted was tremendous ,fast ALMOST final for the hare and heart stopping ,i enjoy her company a lot ,shes a dead minded yoke till something runs,then shes kamakazi .like i said ...she has helped start a few dogs and if you just want a good fun time on half decent land they arent the worst in the world 

• Like 6