Anyone ever worked a deaf lurcher by any chance?..reason behind the question is I’ve bred a retired dog to a Merle bitch an I took my pup from it the biggest of the lot black and white with two ice blue eyes but I’ve noticed he can’t hear anything bangs or anything like that there’s only a odd reaction to some stuff but his eyesight is 100% very good eyes. I’m just curious because it’s all I have from this old dog and I was thinking could I use the pup lamping and out with terriers any info be [BANNED TEXT]. The father was not Merle only mother...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kingofthelamp said:

Anyone ever worked a deaf lurcher by any chance?..reason behind the question is I’ve bred a retired dog to a Merle bitch an I took my pup from it the biggest of the lot black and white with two ice blue eyes but I’ve noticed he can’t hear anything bangs or anything like that there’s only a odd reaction to some stuff but his eyesight is 100% very good eyes. I’m just curious because it’s all I have from this old dog and I was thinking could I use the pup lamping and out with terriers any info be [BANNED TEXT]. The father was not Merle only mother...

Be alright lamping I should think

On 02/05/2021 at 12:28, Kingofthelamp said:

Hi,..I've owned and worked a  couple of Bilaterally Deaf lurchers,...it was emotional..?

For a working dog, not having full command of its faculties is a definitate handicap,.even more so if the malady causes the animal to be a bit on the nervy, spooky side.

Schooling such animals is always going to be difficult, and as such it requires a whole lot of thinking, 'outside the box'....

Personally,...its an experience that I would not wish to repeat....?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 7
9 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

Hi,..I've owned and worked a  couple of Bilaterally Deaf lurchers,...it was emotional..?

For a working dog, not having full command of its faculties is a definitate handicap,.even more so if the malady causes the animal to be a bit on the nervy, spooky side.

Schooling such animals is always going to be difficult, and as such it requires a whole lot of thinking, 'outside the box'....

_MG_0168.jpg

I've never had full control regardless 

• Haha 1

Should be ok lamping but ferreting I wouldn't bother they usually hear the knocking and end up finding the hole they'll bolt from. Your a better man than me giving it a working chance ignorant dogs are my pet peeve and a deaf dog would be an absolute ballache. Good luck with the dog hope it goes as well as it can for you ?

Edited by Kalibrgun
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Kingofthelamp said:

To me its not going to work out just think of the vocal commands we say to a dog, recall by name(or by whistle or both with a pup)sit,stay,back, heel,no etc or which ever command you prefer,so in my opinion sadly its not to be,atb.

53 minutes ago, Kalibrgun said:

Should be ok lamping but ferreting I wouldn't bother they usually hear the knocking and end up finding the hole they'll bolt from. Your a better man than me giving it a working chance ignorant dogs are my pet peeve and a deaf dog would be an absolute ballache. Good luck with the dog hope it goes as well as it can for you ?

You want ignorant, rebellious and a complete cnut?.... look no further than my dickhead ? He makes deaf look like a superpower ?‍♂️?

• Haha 3
9 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Are you sure the eyesight is 100%, as you probably know deafness and bad eyes go hand in hand. If so the dog should do alright lamping but ferreting may be testing.

Yes his eyes are 100% I know because he’s acts on visual all the time and he’s retrieving a dummy at the minute so couldn’t see him having any eye problems.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, OldPhil said:

Honey March 2006 garden net 009.jpg

Out of curiosity how did the dog or dogs that you have had deaf get on did they turn out much good if so?

20 hours ago, OldPhil said:

Honey March 2006 garden net 009.jpg

Phil did you find the dog would look at you more for a command or direction than a dog with normal hearing..or change it's behavior in any way to try and compensate for the loss of hearing...

Ive found my dogs on top of a burrow sense and feel a lot coming through there feet.i would imagine switching to using it's feet a lot more on a real gusty day instead of it's ears on a calm quiet day.

How would you compare a dog waiting for a bolting rabbit with and without hearing..

• Like 1