Fit dogs

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my little brindle bitch was pretty fit in this pic....she's also fairly easy to keep reasonably fit..  

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, WILF said:

That’s the fella, thank you mate 

A nice, keen, young lad !

He came up here to work with the Hayden Hunt.

I think it was Tomo who gave him my number, and I went lamping quite a few times on the massive permission he had along the Tyne Valley.

He left to work with the Rothschild Hunt in America.

He rang me some years later to offer me and LDR a couple of pups, but haven't heard from him in a long time.

I thought his family were land owners in Hampshire ?

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

A nice, keen, young lad !

He came up here to work with the Hayden Hunt.

I think it was Tomo who gave him my number, and I went lamping quite a few times on the massive permission he had along the Tyne Valley.

He left to work with the Rothschild Hunt in America.

He rang me some years later to offer me and LDR a couple of pups, but haven't heard from him in a long time.

Cheers.

If you remember Burnie69 I think one of his dogs was sire or grand sire to that dog of mine.

I remember him turning up at a hunt show with a massive black bull cross, genuinely one of the most impressive animals I have ever seen.

Just now, WILF said:

If you remember Burnie69 I think one of his dogs was sire or grand sire to that dog of mine.

I remember him turning up at a hunt show with a massive black bull cross, genuinely one of the most impressive animals I have ever seen.

We drove the stubble a few times and he had a little Beddy type that sat on his knee and jumped out the window, caught the rabbit and leapt back in thru' the window with it !

He also had a big, white collie cross that was to brave for its own good ! LOL !

Cheers.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

I first met young Ludo, when he offered to do an impromptu oil painting of Speckle, my old Cattle dog hybrid?

When I asked him how much I owed him for the painting, he requested that I take him Long Netting.

This I did, and we hanked up, a fair old parcel of conies,...he loved the covert method of night hunting and in return,..offered me a day out on his own permission...

I drove into deepest, rural Hampshire, passing through several small, exclusive , up-market, Thatched Cottage style villages. 

On reaching the Manor House, I was introduced to his Father, a seriously wealthy man who OWNED a Bank, in China !

Alongside a string of Polo ponies , their stables set amidst a fabulous Sporting Estate, I was then to hear Ludo instruct the Keeper to beat through the Kale so that him and me could run the flushed deer and hares. ..This really was quite surreal, and although everything was above board and entirely kosher, I could not stop myself from looking behind me on a regular basis,...I fully expected a brace of Land Rovers to pull up and the occupants to spill out, and set about with me with stout Holly sticks...? 

We had a great morning and finished up that night, watching the dogs exercise a massive herd of fallow.?

I went on to hunt with Ludo on several occasions and it always shocked me, that every time I mentioned a prestigious Estate that harbored game in quantity, yet was possibly too dangerous to walk over, he simply made a phone call to the Landowner, and hey fecking presto,..we were in business and had a free hand, to do what we liked..

Just goes to show, it ain't, what ya know in this life, its also down to WHO ya know....?

I've not see the young guy for a few seasons,..God knows what devilment he is up to,.but whatever he is doing, I genuinely wish him all the best...?

PICT0017p (2).jpg

He was staying in a cottage in Northumberland on an aristocratic estate, and one night when I met him for lamping, he introduced me to Lady Alice.

She asked what quarry we would be after, and to be diplomatic, I said "just rabbits"; she said " that's a shame, the roe deer have been eating the flowers in the garden, could you not thin them out" !

Well, it would of been churlish not to help the old Lady out, wouldn't it ! LOL !

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
3 hours ago, breeze said:

Great story Phil  ? ..... That's the way to do it, just a quick phone call and then as they say "The worlds your oyster "

Just out of interest , How did the painting of Speckle turn out  ?

Well, I'm no art critic, I just liked the bright , happy colors, so whether its a good effort or not, God only knows?

However, it was a gift to me from a complete stranger, so I accepted the picture, with the good grace in which it had been given..?

http://www.chalkwarren.co.uk/

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 5

A great lad living a great sporting life and throwing an adventure here and there in for good measure.....have not spoken to him for years but it’s great to hear he is chipper as ever.

• Like 1

Good thread with some nice dogs and interesting stories this fp fellas, iv had a couple over the years that have shaped up pretty well, looks don’t kill though and as of yet none come close to my scruffy old bitch in the kennel, the dog on top had hell of a lot of potential and was becoming pretty decent at the edible game but  didn’t want anything more than edible so was gifted to a lad up north, bitch on the bottom is still young but slowly maturing and going in the right direction ? cheers

42E03302-E11E-4602-BF5F-5FF8C8A1CBA3.jpeg

ECD7C5F2-2A10-470B-A622-AEA9AB6DEEF0.jpeg

• Like 11