Fighting dogs of great Britain an ireland

46 minutes ago, JMc said:

Like reading the history of these dogs,this bitch was just 21 lb!!!There were a lot of game bred bulldogs that were very small.Gr Ch Mammy

atb J

D0656DBD-0675-4491-9EA4-B793639F2F97.jpeg

My favourite type of bulldog 

Atb j 

• Like 1

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Greg ,a boring old man story to illustrate my point .....many years ago I was having a natter with an old boy in the pub ,Henry Cooper s name came up ,and the fella mentioned he had sparred with him ,

Gotta laugh at people arguing about stuff because of what they've read somewhere when chances are theyve probably never even laod hands on a proper bulldog.

I was never really a fan of Staffords but they was a lovely little dog to shape up compared to bulldogs.....they always had that scatty over enthusiastic way about them whereas the bulldogs could be s

Posted Images

Francie, if you like a good write up on game bred types you should have a look at Richard Strattons website,he has lived and breathed these dogs for decades,you may already know of his books.Take heed,he rightly said these dogs deserve ONLY the very best people,it’s why I don’t own one lol.Photo of him with a modern day legend Gr Ch El Titeire,great write up of him meeting this dog.

atb J

1A556EE2-088D-41F2-9354-03F7CFD42372.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hello Jetro,went down the rabbit hole looking at smaller gamebred types,didn’t know myself they came so small,some of them.Interesting also that although not documented, those that know suggest Boston Terrier history is back to small game bred bulldogs,and Gr Ch Mammy there is not far off what earlier Boston’s looked like!The Gamedog site has loads of history about these dogs,plenty on British dogs as well.

atb J

1 hour ago, JMc said:

Like reading the history of these dogs,this bitch was just 21 lb!!!There were a lot of game bred bulldogs that were very small.Gr Ch Mammy

atb J

D0656DBD-0675-4491-9EA4-B793639F2F97.jpeg

Would anyone have a line of bull dogs around this size in Ireland, or even slightly larger. 

Atb j 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, JMc said:

Francie, if you like a good write up on game bred types you should have a look at Richard Strattons website,he has lived and breathed these dogs for decades,you may already know of his books.Take heed,he rightly said these dogs deserve ONLY the very best people,it’s why I don’t own one lol.Photo of him with a modern day legend Gr Ch El Titeire,great write up of him meeting this dog.

atb J

1A556EE2-088D-41F2-9354-03F7CFD42372.jpeg

Thank you j I will look him up, ta bud

3 hours ago, keepdiggin said:

Was yours show dogs ray or workers?

no , our staffs  were prob to big , compared to the kc staffs, around the the west mids , you got different type strains, some like ours tall racy build, like bulldogs, then you get smaller  stocky types more like the kc stuff of to day. my bulldog was reid lines 19 1/2 in  58lb   very strong bitch , ok with people and  ok with dogs , if they were ok with her.

P1010022.JPG

P1010023.JPG

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, bird said:

no , our staffs  were prob to big , compared to the kc staffs, around the the west mids , you got different type strains, some like ours tall racy build, like bulldogs, then you get smaller  stocky types more like the kc stuff of to day. my bulldog was reid lines 19 1/2 in  58lb   very strong bitch , ok with people and  ok with dogs , if they were ok with her.

P1010022.JPG

P1010023.JPG

Lovley bitch Ray, love the brindle

3 minutes ago, Francie said:

Lovley bitch Ray, love the brindle

yeh she was, liked people, and ok with dogs if they were o k with her ,  i did keep her on the lead with other dogs about,  but if she did kick off, feck you struggle to stop her , and at her size and power, the average dog have no chance .she was big bitch, but i liked the smaller ones as well. i always said i might get nice small bitch one day, great breed in the right hands :thumbs:

• Like 1
On 11/06/2020 at 20:54, Blackmag said:

Scotsman max the sire ( depending who you talk to )sired by ed Reid's skipper  to one of the best lines of bull xs this side of the water as seen pye otter dee ect you will find a lot of info out on the said dogs francie in the film on the  gamedog forum 

Was it definitely Scotsman’s max that sired the pye and otter , I know a lot lads said it but I was told by a mate who was mates with the lad who first owned pye and apparently the sire to pye was a black bull from Manchester called max 

Id be amazed if theres any straight Colby dogs in Europe today,most of the dogs that came to Europe years ago were off of competition dogs with owners who made their stock readily available....with every respect to the Colby family their dogs were simply not competing at a high level across America in the 80's 90's im almost positive a pure family Colby dog was never imported to Britain during that time.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Id be amazed if theres any straight Colby dogs in Europe today,most of the dogs that came to Europe years ago were off of competition dogs with owners who made their stock readily available....with every respect to the Colby family their dogs were simply not competing at a high level across America in the 80's 90's im almost positive a pure family Colby dog was never imported to Britain during that time.

Apparently they are still out there over the pond, don't think they are competing at the highest level but I still thing they are bred right and tested. 

Even if the odd one was imported over here or Europe none have made any impact as far as I know. 

By buying one though you are owning a bit of history, the oldest line alive in the Bulldog world. It must be a honour to own one of those animals. 

• Like 2

Indian sonny wrote a good piece on the Colby dogs a fair few years back now. Basically he states the breeders were so intent on keeping the line "pure" that the performance side of things suffered terribly. See if someone can find the article, tis an interesting read...

Yokel

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, YOKEL said:

Indian sonny wrote a good piece on the Colby dogs a fair few years back now. Basically he states the breeders were so intent on keeping the line "pure" that the performance side of things suffered terribly. See if someone can find the article, tis an interesting read...

Yokel

It's of no surprise really, breeding that tight for so long will leave you behind in the game. 

At the end of the day though from what I've heard they are still game dogs even if they might have lost their ability. 

If they were still producing deeply game dogs then somebody somewhere would be competing with them at a high level....and they're not.......a very game dog in the hands of a top conditioner is a hard pairing to beat and if they wasnt competing at that level in the 80's and 90's theres no reason to think they are now.

• Like 4