Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, ianm said:

I hate that!

I wouldn't let him near a rifle again until he proved he can shoot accurately.

Yep, I’ve taken it off him, to be fair to him he knew his mistake and the follow up shot was very quick, but at that distance there should be no need for that

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Some people really struggle with a rifle. Is he better with the 17 Stav?

Yeah, on the rabbits with the .22 or .17 he’s a cracking shot put a fox in front of him and I don’t know what happens to him, I think it’s a mixture of excitement and not wanting to fluff it in front of me, he just needs to calm down and take his time 

• Like 1

It’s called buck fever . I’ve had guys who can punch paper with the best of them , but put a buck or in this case a fox in front of them and they get nervous and they forget all the principles of marksmanship , breathing etc and fluff the shot . 
           I seldom let anyone shoot foxes on the shoot I keeper or any of my permissions , I get really ratty if someone misses and educates a fox . At least if there is any misses now it’s always my fault .

• Like 3

Was out last night too at my mates shoot. Poults went in last week so we staked out the wood to see if anything came out . First thing to show was a buck and a doe but didn't hang around for a shot and slipped back in the wood. Then another 2 does sauntered out across the field in front of us. As the light was fading I spotted Charlie pop out and sit down around 180 yds away ? My mate duly dropped him with a central bib shot ? A good result seeing as it was less than 100 yds from the pen.

20200816_205459.jpg

• Like 7

Well had another look out last night to the farm I got the 3 Cubs from the other night. Not hopeful as very still,  muggy and misty. Saw 3 or 4 but no chance of a shot. Finally spotted a cub in the barley stubble at the bottom of the field,  put caller on and no response so went old school and hand squeaked it in nicely to around 70 yds.

20200818_003438.jpg

• Like 8

Oh dear, the birds have been in less than 48 hours and it’s never stopped raining since yesterday afternoon, they are looking a bit sorry for themselves but are still active and taking feed and shelter, the first pen I’ve come to is already starting to get paddled up, if this rain keeps on like it’s ment to then they will have to be out these pens

70485C33-0072-4481-9581-F0FB90D4446C.jpeg

45D9CA19-502A-40A4-BD1E-E911495B31ED.jpeg

0AF0BFBD-CFBC-4C6D-B2BB-521DA9904385.jpeg

• Sad 3
9 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Oh dear, the birds have been in less than 48 hours and it’s never stopped raining since yesterday afternoon, they are looking a bit sorry for themselves but are still active and taking feed and shelter, the first pen I’ve come to is already starting to get paddled up, if this rain keeps on like it’s ment to then they will have to be out these pens

70485C33-0072-4481-9581-F0FB90D4446C.jpeg

45D9CA19-502A-40A4-BD1E-E911495B31ED.jpeg

0AF0BFBD-CFBC-4C6D-B2BB-521DA9904385.jpeg

its supposed to be a scorcher tomorrow stav and warm and mega windy Friday so all being well it'll dry up for you ?

• Like 2