Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Well the birds look a lot more settled this evening, what a difference a day makes, I had a walk over the far side to have a look for a ginger as in the coming weeks this is where the birds will be heading, no sign of a fox but forestry have been in and removed a lot of timber, now I’m not saying this is a bad thing but it would of been nice to be told as this may change the drive, but we’ll see 

325201CC-CB13-4802-AB61-C0A967BBB1DD.jpeg

B244EA83-0F43-415D-A75D-E75CBC6B2968.jpeg

4DB4746C-46AD-4050-A4FD-E98115AD18FF.jpeg

• Like 1

We fully understand that it’s a farmed for timber and it works well for us because they never clear fell, they take out rows which open up the forestry blocks creating new drives, they always do it in the summer so come November everything has settled down nicely, this is the first time they haven’t shown us the cut plan, so I’ll have to have a word to see what else is coming out and if it will change any of the drives

they have definitely stirred the deer up, I’ve never seen that many in that area, I seen 6 roe and 9 fallow including a very nice large fallow buck

i also managed to scare the life out of a truck driver that was spending the night in the forestry before been loaded in the morning, I thought he was going to have a heart attack and all I said was “ alright mate “ ?

• Haha 5
8 hours ago, Stavross said:

i also managed to scare the life out of a truck driver that was spending the night in the forestry before been loaded in the morning, I thought he was going to have a heart attack and all I said was “ alright mate “

Understandable. 

20200821_073501.jpg

• Haha 8
2 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Yep rain all next week mate. Summer is gone , hope we have a dryish Autumn. 

I hope so, the start of last season was a wash out, it rained for most of November, I remember the first day we did 6 drives in the pouring rain and shot 12 birds, it came good in December and January with some respectable 50/60 bird days, I’d happily not shoot all season until there’s snow on the ground then I’ll shoot every drive because to me pheasant shooting is at its best in the snow ?

9FFCBD01-F3D7-48E8-B94D-362A856E611B.jpeg

• Like 3