Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Put the last of my pellets out this morning. Birds are 12 weeks or so old now and are going on to wheat . I’m sure we waste about a ton of wheat on the changeover, as the birds chuck out the wheat from the minolas looking for pellets. 
        They are getting all over the place now, everywhere I look there are poults . Water is a big draw for them in this dry weather and every ditch and stream is seeing the birds pay a visit . It’s nice to see them loafing  about and dusting , not a care in the world . 
      There are a few holiday cottages on the estate and they cater for families, and they allow dogs . Mostly people keep to the footpaths but occasionally they go “ off piste” I had to laugh yesterday this family were nowhere near a footpath and I heard shouting, I turned up and there was this mum in a ditch holding on to two small boys and the dog,  surrounded by cattle , then I looked and saw dad up this tree , what a hero , f@ck the Mrs and kids ???. I bet he got the cold shoulder last night . Any way I told them that the cattle were just curious and wouldn’t hurt them and to just walk back to the footpath and stay on it . I must say that even though I find the cattle a nuisance they are great for keeping dog walkers away from the shoot . My sister in law is on Facebook and showed me some of the posts about how local dog walkers have been chased and terrified by them , word soon spreads and i now hardly see anyone around the shoot . With this dry weather the grass has all but gone and the cattle are having to be fed , so they are hungry and waiting for the delivery of hay . So anybody who ventures in the fields gets mobbed. They are  better and more intimidating than an angry gamekeeper could ever hope to be .?

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Bloomin townies. Probably the Mrs has the balls and trousers to match!

I was watching a jogger a few weeks ago. She would run down to the gate she wanted to go over bit wouldn't because of the cattle the other side.

She ran half a mile back, turned around and went back, turned around and repeat....cattle still at the gate.

I got fed up and went to her rifle on shoulder and told her she just needs to be assertive with them and went and showed her. She was doing some virtual run comp thingie.

Why don't these people just go Blackpool instead of upsetting the standard flow of life in the country side....

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Bloomin townies. Probably the Mrs has the balls and trousers to match!

I was watching a jogger a few weeks ago. She would run down to the gate she wanted to go over bit wouldn't because of the cattle the other side.

She ran half a mile back, turned around and went back, turned around and repeat....cattle still at the gate.

I got fed up and went to her rifle on shoulder and told her she just needs to be assertive with them and went and showed her. She was doing some virtual run comp thingie.

Why don't these people just go Blackpool instead of upsetting the standard flow of life in the country side....

Thing is sausage, our environment is as alien to them as theirs is to us . If I ever venture into a town or city , I am a fish out of water . I don’t like crowds or lots of traffic . I don’t blame anyone wanting to enjoy the countryside. As long as folks follow the rules it’s a great place to be . I often have a natter to the holiday makers and they are always asking questions about pheasants and birds and deer , and what the rifles are for. And I get a kick out of telling them . Townies find my job and life fascinating and lots of them say how lucky am to work in such a beautiful place . Until you hear people say things like that you can take it for granted . I hope I never do .

• Like 2

Weirdest encounter ever just after midnight sat on a style watching the plantation and wtf is that in the thermal. 

It was mr teewat on his mountain bike puffing and panting towards me but im cammed up .

When i stepped out and said oi this is private property he lost about 3 stone.

Well he didn't lose it it was in his pants when he sheet himself ???

And do you know what he,s never been back since ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

So I’ve called it a night, I seen another two but one was behind a wire fence and disappeared into the wheat and the other was across a road and would it heck cross it, it’s almost a shame I can’t take anyone with me, but those are the rules and there’s a good reason for that, I can’t wait to get on once the wheat is down, oh and the amount of jackdaws are crazy ?

92E6A081-BE08-4CB0-911B-D84AD3AFF375.jpeg

2878F938-ADA0-4728-8B07-22F48525E7B4.jpeg

D4C397B7-67D5-4797-BDE9-CDB7D73B772E.jpeg

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Stavross said:

Well I’ve come up to my new bit of land, been calling for 20 minutes and dropped these two little fellas, this looks to be a cracking spot and there’s still two massive fields of wheat to come down ?

D800F186-6983-44AD-AD46-818CF4B265C6.jpeg

Always nice to get off to a good start on a new Permission. ?. I went out to a spot which isn't very productive,  did manage to see one but it wouldn't come close enough for a shot. Horrible night though as very muggy with a mistiness in the air.

1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Always nice to get off to a good start on a new Permission. ?. I went out to a spot which isn't very productive,  did manage to see one but it wouldn't come close enough for a shot. Horrible night though as very muggy with a mistiness in the air.

I was out in the field with my top off until half 10, it was that hot, just as well I’m there on my own, because no one needs to see that ?

• Haha 5
7 hours ago, Stavross said:

I was out in the field with my top off until half 10, it was that hot, just as well I’m there on my own, because no one needs to see that ?

haha the antis would love that photo

"Half naked weirdo rampaging armed through local fields"

• Haha 2