Back up at the shoot

11 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Day 4 ( my day and the Christmas shoot ) not the best day weather wise, with thick fog all day, the birds just didn’t know what was expected of them once they got above the trees, they were getting up and a fair few went back on themselves or sat in the tops of the trees once they reached the fog, we did the usual drives, first off was the “ tip drive “ and again some good birds came for the end of this drive, my guest Mosh took probably the 2 birds of the day from this one, next was “ Gordon’s pen “ and as expected the birds couldn’t deal with the fog but at least everyone got a few shots off. All back to the farm for elevenses, the animals destroyed the bramble gin and Prosecco, after that we headed for the piggeries “ tree side “, now my other guest Robin, hadn’t downed a bird yet, so with a bit of luck this would be the one and so it was, I put him out in the field and by the end of the drive he’d managed to down 4. Next would be the small drive opposite the house and once again Mosh and Robin both took a good bird each 

lunch time

after lunch and with the fog getting thicker we made our way back to the piggeries, this time,” the thick side” there was a fair few that didn’t get shot at from this drive, purely because the guns couldn’t see them, still most of the guns did get some shooting. Off to “ forestry pen” not as many as on previous days but with the heavy fog making everything wet the birds are not as keen to be in there, we were to finish the day off with the back of the forestry buildings, a small number of birds flushed from this drive but the guns made the most of them, the final bird of the day been downed by one of the youngest guns, 13 year old jack ? the bag was about 45 birds and considering the weather the guns did very well, if the weather had been more favourable this could of easily been a 100 bird day

60F7BB3E-18F0-4CA6-B040-C52F867966DE.jpeg

A367F7F4-0670-400A-B9BC-A14973C25C84.jpeg

28DF57D0-A1FC-46F9-947D-62460C38B987.jpeg

4ADDB9BE-E430-4718-843C-8E7D55097228.jpeg

8C1BC4B0-706D-4842-9878-FFAAD7808BD6.jpeg

Great stuff??

• Like 1

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Baldcoot said:

Yeah last Saturday was pooh but we got a few birds and a good snap.

Home made pheasant and chorizo sausage rolls and Home made Mince pies n brandy butter ??

20211218_155138.jpg

You can’t predict the weather but one thing’s for certain, a few birds, a few shots, some nice nibbles and some good people and it’s going to be a good day ?

( just got fingers crossed that we get to see the season out now, without another bloody lockdown ?)

• Like 4

Our next shoot is next Monday and it is the.410 kids charity day. It’s always a good day, we usually shoot 50/60 birds with a good little calibre and raise a fair lump of dosh for the kids whilst we are at it.

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, ianm said:

Our next shoot is next Monday and it is the.410 kids charity day. It’s always a good day, we usually shoot 50/60 birds with a good little calibre and raise a fair lump of dosh for the kids whilst we are at it.

Small bore shoots are awesome.

I bet that  is good fun. I shot a 410 often on beaters days, they weren't laughing at the end of the day! That and a frontstuffer shoot.

• Like 2

Feeding at first light this morning and there’s still a good few about, they are holed up where it’s dry and warm, it was absolutely freezing there this morning with a bitter wind. There’s a few roe deer knocking around, it wasn’t long ago that you didn’t see them around these parts 

I’ve just had the shoot captain on the phone asking what was about and where they were, he then went on to ask, did I want to do it next season, did I want to put another 400 birds down and did I want to repair the valley pen or put another pen up ( possibly over the piggeries) steady on I said, let’s get this season out the way and then I’ll decide, it’s a hell of a lot of work especially if it’s more birds and another pen, definitely something to think about, I can see where he’s coming from because he’s been on 2 shoots in the past week, one pays double what we do and the other 4 times what we do and he said neither one was better than ours

773A2B94-36B4-4AA8-A2B5-16306689FB17.jpeg

B465994A-DEB8-4531-B714-16A05E63C719.jpeg

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Stavross said:

Feeding at first light this morning and there’s still a good few about, they are holed up where it’s dry and warm, it was absolutely freezing there this morning with a bitter wind. There’s a few roe deer knocking around, it wasn’t long ago that you didn’t see them around these parts 

I’ve just had the shoot captain on the phone asking what was about and where they were, he then went on to ask, did I want to do it next season, did I want to put another 400 birds down and did I want to repair the valley pen or put another pen up ( possibly over the piggeries) steady on I said, let’s get this season out the way and then I’ll decide, it’s a hell of a lot of work especially if it’s more birds and another pen, definitely something to think about, I can see where he’s coming from because he’s been on 2 shoots in the past week, one pays double what we do and the other 4 times what we do and he said neither one was better than ours

773A2B94-36B4-4AA8-A2B5-16306689FB17.jpeg

B465994A-DEB8-4531-B714-16A05E63C719.jpeg

Thats a hell of a compliment to you though mate. You just need a few extra quid now 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

Thats a hell of a compliment to you though mate. You just need a few extra quid now 

I was thinking exactly the same. Need to be covering your fuel. I have had a relapse of this cold , been rough for 11 days now , really sick of it. Hopefully be better for Christmas ?? I need to be out in our glorious countryside instead of staring at the walls.??

• Sad 2
1 hour ago, BenBhoy said:

It’s a nice compliment and they’ll look after me ( I got a very big tip off them all last Saturday) it’s not all about the money, once the birds are in I like doing it and I know I can make a couple of new drives,  if I decide to do it I’ll start work on it as soon as the season finishes, instead of rushing about in June and July 

25 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

I was thinking exactly the same. Need to be covering your fuel. I have had a relapse of this cold , been rough for 11 days now , really sick of it. Hopefully be better for Christmas ?? I need to be out in our glorious countryside instead of staring at the walls.??

Get on them lemsips mate, we need to get out on these deer after Boxing Day ?

• Like 1