Back up at the shoot

I used to shoot similar numbers. I used to cover a lot of ground on a quad , with a rest on the front and used the headlights to lamp . I could just keep on going and get whatever number I was after , and take them to the game dealer. 
         Those days are gone , rabbits are the only thing the game dealer asks me for , everything else he thinks he’s doing me a favour taking it off my hands . 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

6 hours ago, si brown said:

Thing is unless your prepared to go out and get the number it’s a nightmare... I stink pot on home ground because I’ve got work.. it’s not viable where I live.

you can make it work for you where ther willing to pay 

Si mate.....I didn't understand a word of that other than maybe something about smoking pot!?

Does that steady your aim or somert?

Or does the pot help with work?

I'm confused.

?

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Si mate.....I didn't understand a word of that other than maybe something about smoking pot!?

Does that steady your aim or somert?

Or does the pot help with work?

I'm confused.

?

Think I was maybe a bit pissed last neet?

when I meet up with my mate, it’s a fair old trek to his land but the lads mint company and worth the effort.. his rabbits don’t get wasted either?
I can get good numbers 5 mins drive from my house but there are no game dealers near me and the butchers aren’t interested so I kind of just manage the numbers and give them to a few old blokes in the area or fox bait them stink pot/pit!

as for pot it dont do me any favours ?

• Like 1

Well they have cut the barley fields today, so no more excuses, not even a full moon . It’s only three fields probably about 30 or 40 acres , but the one field is usually productive . 
            Started off about 8.45/9.0 ish and only saw rabbits and a couple of muntjac in the first two fields . I wish I had a pound for every time a munty gets my pulse racing when I first spot it with the thermal and think it’s a fox only to look closer and see what it really is .

Turned up into the best field and with nothing showing I set up the caller with a rabbit distress call . I had parked the mule under an oak tree with the breeze in my face , nothing happened for a bit , then I spotted a fox in the top corner where I was expecting them to come from . It stopped and had a look then moved off down the other side of the hedge . I followed its progress as long as I could and realised that it was moving around the field to come behind me to close in on the caller with the wind to its advantage. They aren’t stupid some of them . It turned out that I didn’t need to worry too much about it as another fox turned up in the same place as the first but wasn’t bothered about anything and headed straight at the caller . I turned the caller volume down and turned the digisight on , no need for infrared as there was enough light, I eased the safety off and with the butt tucked firmly in my shoulder and my shooting position locked in and steady my thoughts turned to watching the foxes progress and waiting for the perfect moment to take the shot . That moment came and the fox appeared from the other side of a ridge of cut straw and stopped to look towards the caller with its head cocked over like an inquisitive spaniel. Whoomp , it dropped on the spot at about 60 meters . I savoured the moment and congratulated myself for shooting straight . I kept the caller going to see if the other fox showed but it was a no show . I found the fox a young vixen in good condition. I had another go with the caller in one of the other fields but all that showed was a little owl. 

A183DECE-2F93-4E9B-B3CF-C3FC578BCC80.jpeg

C33BB940-9509-4203-944A-B97C567E13CC.jpeg

• Like 10

Well, where to start, as Hugo’s dad is serving a centrefire ban for his horrific shooting last time it was me on the rifle and him on the lamp, with the caller 50 yards out in the field it was about 20 minutes before the first one came charging towards the caller, he lit it up as it  reached the caller and in a split second it was down. We decided to give it a bit longer as we had good cover from the moon, 45 minutes passed and we decided to move on, off he went to gather the caller and the cub, I ran the spotter around the field and there’s two sets of eyes looking at him walking up the field, giving a couple of blasts on the mouth caller to draw their attention he spotted them through the thermal, he headed back to me and after 5 minutes one reappeared at approximately 180 yards, not showing any signs of coming any closer I took the shot, 2 vixen cubs and at 4 degrees and a moon lighting the place up like the sun it was time for home ?

53561237-0DC3-4979-9D69-0A3523E5E8BB.jpeg

• Like 8
6 hours ago, Stavross said:

Well, where to start, as Hugo’s dad is serving a centrefire ban for his horrific shooting last time it was me on the rifle and him on the lamp, with the caller 50 yards out in the field it was about 20 minutes before the first one came charging towards the caller, he lit it up as it  reached the caller and in a split second it was down. We decided to give it a bit longer as we had good cover from the moon, 45 minutes passed and we decided to move on, off he went to gather the caller and the cub, I ran the spotter around the field and there’s two sets of eyes looking at him walking up the field, giving a couple of blasts on the mouth caller to draw their attention he spotted them through the thermal, he headed back to me and after 5 minutes one reappeared at approximately 180 yards, not showing any signs of coming any closer I took the shot, 2 vixen cubs and at 4 degrees and a moon lighting the place up like the sun it was time for home ?

Good result Stavross, it was cold and still here . Seemed strange to be wrapped up shooting stubbles . It looks like one of them cubs was kissing it’s arse goodbye ? ?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Stavross said:

Good result Stavross, it was cold and still here . Seemed strange to be wrapped up shooting stubbles . It looks like one of them cubs was kissing it’s arse goodbye ? ? Sorry to have posted this twice , maybe a Mod could remove it .