Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Stavross said:

I went back to where I took little Hugo last night, mainly to check if the bait we left had gone and partly to get out the house for a bit, I took the .17 with me to put another couple of rabbits out, I had a good walk around checking the rabbit population and for any foxy evidence, not seeing many rabbits I shot 3 all well over 100 yards and headed off to bait up again, when I got to where I’d baited last night the rabbit was still there but was joined by what looked like a badger turd, a little bit odd that it never took the rabbit, walking back to the car I spotted some eyes with the lamp well over 180 yards away, I tried for a good 10 minutes with the mouth caller but it was not interested at all and with the wind blowing behind me there was no way I could get any closer so called it a night, I think I’ll put the trail cam down there and bait one spot, that always seems to work there

591492D5-E4BC-48B6-8B63-493D734D9907.jpeg

9D6EC53C-C07E-4032-B64E-7BDABC5CF501.jpeg

That’s rabbit guts mate dragged out by crows etc after the red offal .

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

That’s rabbit guts mate dragged out by crows etc after the red offal .

someone else told me that this morning, you know what, I’ve only been doing this for 25 years and can tell the difference between sh*t and guts ?

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, bumpy22 said:

Managed 18 grey squirrels in traps this week with birds going in. Only problem I have at moment is a buzzard in one wood. Any sensible suggestion gentleman???

Well done on the squirrels. Bit of a moot point on the other problem ?

34 minutes ago, Stavross said:

someone else told me that this morning, you know what, I’ve only been doing this for 25 years and can tell the difference between sh*t and guts ?

If you spent some time on PW you would easily tell the difference!

• Haha 6

Well I may not be able to tell sh*t from guts but I can certainly put a pheasant pen together on a shoe string budget ? the second pen is now finished, all new wire around the bottom, full new electric fence, new pop holes and a new drinker system with new 1000lt IBC all for under 200 quid and a bit of hard graft, the birds are coming a week tomorrow so the enjoyable part is almost here ?

2697E74A-9FB3-4967-98E7-FE9812C3EEDC.jpeg

F3DD808E-08CA-4699-83F4-6C54B671555F.jpeg

• Like 6

Well done mate , hope all goes well with the poults. Our poults are 11 weeks old now and most of them have ventured outside the pen and are looking well. Ducks are looking good too , just need to watch now and see if any wild birds start flighting in ?

• Like 1

We have put all this effort into the pens and approximately 10 days after they go in and have settled in getting to know where food, water and safety is I’ll be opening the back of the pens up and setting them free into the woods, they never do well up here if you keep them in the pens to long and I’ve finally managed to get a couple of others to stop dogging them in because it just stresses them out, the pellets arrived on Friday ( some medicated) and I’ve got some water additive wormer just in case, so fingers crossed for a bit of sun on their backs

• Like 3