Raw beef abattoir vrs dog food seller

I've used abattoir meat for the dugs for years with no problems.  I spoke to a local dog food supplier who sells raw, after I told him I could feed my pot lickers cheaper he tried to put me off saying that the meat they use was intentended for humans,  human grade meat and that stuff from the abattoir Is probably full of infections / bacteria and drugs.

Anyone had any issues with abattoir food? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some fat to add to the rabbit while mincing 

I’ve tried few brands of bag food high end and cheaper and settled on none of them, old fashioned brown bread, meat, tripe, fish, veg, plenty liquids and a good multivitamin. Along with good housing &

Posted Images

Pet food suppliers will be getting their beef from the same slaughterhouse as you, mixing it up with fat and probably a bit of pork then doubling their money on it, I get mine from a slaughterhouse and it’s bang on, better than any pet food supplier I’ve used. Get proper fresh tripe as well not the bagged shit they sell.

3537A90F-D745-4937-A7A7-AA924816479A.jpeg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Joe1888 said:

I've used abattoir meat for the dugs for years with no problems.  I spoke to a local dog food supplier who sells raw, after I told him I could feed my pot lickers cheaper he tried to put me off saying that the meat they use was intentended for humans,  human grade meat and that stuff from the abattoir Is probably full of infections / bacteria and drugs.

Tell to shut up price of raw to pet supply is shocking compared to slaughter house 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

Pet food suppliers will be getting their beef from the same slaughterhouse as you, mixing it up with fat and probably a bit of pork then doubling their money on it, I get mine from a slaughterhouse and it’s bang on, better than any pet food supplier I’ve used. Get proper fresh tripe as well not the bagged shit they sell.

3537A90F-D745-4937-A7A7-AA924816479A.jpeg

Curry ? 

Just now, trigger2 said:

I live a few hundred yards from a slaughter house, I may go see them for some offal then. I didn't realize you can get it direct from them.

Most places won’t sell you it now because of health & safety you just need to find a good one that will 

• Like 1

Left school on the Friday started work at the abattoir on the Monday never bought dog food all the time I worked there a full green beast tripe cost 50p [this was 40yrs ago] you could get the sheep heads with the wool still on them dogs coats shone like shithouse doors now you pay 5/6quid for a tripe but they wont let you have the sheep heads

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Joe1888 said:

Abattoirs in the UK have some of the strictest and most stringent standards and regulations in the world.If it goes through an abattoir its perfectly safe,unless it is taken out of the condemned bin?.I get most of my barf from recognised sources,i used to raid the waste bins for over 10 years before the local abattoir shut down.Ive never had an issue with the regulated and the not fit for consumption option.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Netmaker said:

Left school on the Friday started work at the abattoir on the Monday never bought dog food all the time I worked there a full green beast tripe cost 50p [this was 40yrs ago] you could get the sheep heads with the wool still on them dogs coats shone like shithouse doors now you pay 5/6quid for a tripe but they wont let you have the sheep heads

Used to borrow the odd green tripe from the washing tanks,they used to weigh on and the juices that ran down your back on the 2 mile trek home left a lingering odour even after a couple of baths and an hot cycle for the clothes.I owned a coat that i was not allowed to wear if i was travelling in a mates motor.Sheep heads were 10p each,skinned and chopped in half only the lower jaw was left.Ive never had dogs as well when i fed them on such.

• Like 1

Most raw dog food suppliers get there products from abattoirs an butchers under contract an flip there waist product in to profit to the likes of us raw feeders the price of raw dog food now takes the piss I’ve no longer got a steady suppler I’ve used a few times eBay shop distributors just to get what I need when stuck I noticed that most beef mince worked out something like £2.26 a 450g block it’s day light robbery human grade is £1.50  for 500g mince in Aldi some of this abattoir butchers waist produce is fetching a premium it’s value is more than human grade 

I never skinned the heads put them in the old heavy galvanized dustbins put in side a 45gallon drum boiled for about half hour left them to cool and feed the lot like you say only the bottom jaw left I never paid a penny was feeding 50/60 sheep tripe a fortnight and heads about 20 the wool acted as a natural wormer

• Like 2

I bought a big old crypto peeler mincer all the rabbits I get over the winter months go into it and it feeds the dogs I know what you say about the price of raw the cheapest I have seen was £1.75 for 400g of tripe when you think a beast tripe weighs about 20/30 pound with the fat on it and costs 6quid the company's selling the raw are making a tidy profit

1 minute ago, Netmaker said:

I never skinned the heads put them in the old heavy galvanized dustbins put in side a 45gallon drum boiled for about half hour left them to cool and feed the lot like you say only the bottom jaw left I never paid a penny was feeding 50/60 sheep tripe a fortnight and heads about 20 the wool acted as a natural wormer

I beast tripe used to feed a couple of lurchers for 4 or 5 days.A local terrierman said he never wormed his dogs while they ate wooly heads.I skinned them because i did not want the dogs to associate food with what they met in the field,probably nonsense but i was in a cycle then of perfecting any imperfection.