What to get?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My last hornet. A BSA. 1958.

It is Anschutz man ffs. If you are going to recommend a make to someone at least spell it correctly. Schultz is what you put under a car to stop it rusting, or to hide the fact that it alrea

I’d go 300 Win mag, but we have some bloody big rabbits up here ?

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, philpot said:

ooooh you are clever Ben and Stav or is it me that is just bloody thick. Don't follow that one up please gentlemen.

Phil

Oh dear Phil i,l just get myself some popcorn ??

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Mate of mine use to bring his .270 for foxing. Old Bertha never failed except when he forgot the ammo one night! So we used my wmr instead. We did no worse for it. Three fox's that night.

This is where reloading comes in.  Like a Ferrari you dont have to drive it flat out pedal to metal all of the time. Basic for all their shortcomings did some years ago publish a reduced load which had enough power to be just over the muzzle energy for deer.  This load used a Speer 130 bullet propelled by 4895. They used this load in their Parker Hale 270 on their forrestry deer shoots.  Now this round shot as sweèt as can be in my 270 and I could pick off a rabbit at about 150 as pretty as you like.  The rabbit was only fit for the Larsen trap though. So although a cal may be classed as over the top it all boils down to dead is dead.  The same goes for the allocation of cal ..V.. ground.  I've heard it said that people have put in for a cal and then been told that the ground has been cleared for xyz cal  meaning that some bright foe  who doesn't know a 22lr from a 338 Lapua has gone out ... maybe, loòked out of his car window and estimated, say 22cf.? This random estimation then becomes a written law.  Just like all of the bollocks like Dr,s tickets.  On the face of it sensible but applied by the blind.

Ps. I don't use the 270 for rabbit shooting.  That would definitely be a case of overkill. It was just a few for the larsen traps and to test the round.  270..... Nice.?

Edited by Meece
21 hours ago, KimE said:

"but at one time, wouldn't grant anything above .22lr for the 1st 3 years of FAC ownership irrespective of what you wanted to shoot."

Thats crazy so you have to shoot fox with an underpowered .22lr? In Sweden young/new hunters with a hunting examina can get 4 hunting firearms, rifles and shotguns in the beguinning. Then you hunted a few years you can get additional two firearms but you have to specify what to use them for (an example .22lr class 4 game crows, .222r roedeer,beaver, 6,5*55 birds in top,deer stalking, shotgun 12*70 ,driven game, shotgun 12*76 goose gun , 9,3*62 driven big game) . No legal age are set by law for owning a firearm in Sweden but its a "guideline" what 18 are the normal age if you have special reasons (during college education hunting, biathlon, international competition) you can get a .22lr or shotgun license at age 15-17.

It depends on the region. Over here their is no national set of laws for licensing, just guidelines as to what should be granted. The result can be that different regional forces apply the rules differently, or some just make their own up!. The case I gave above is what used to happen in my region. My region will now grant CF at 1st grant with good reason. However, there are constant reports on here of others having trouble in other regions. Literally 1 region will restrict your 1st gun to .22lr and the one next door will grant you a .308! It's very random.

" It was a rigid rule. There are plenty of people on here who have posted difficulties with obtaining CF from their region and have posted their region won't grant even .243 over .223."

Wow UK really has strange fimearms rules. Why doesn`t you/they apply to use a .243w for deer instead?

That is the way around it but you would need to show good reason for deer ie they were on your land and needed controlling. Above that you'd need to get an ALOQ condition "Any other legal quarry". Without the latter, you could only use the rifle for deer alone. Luckily these days, most forces grant ALOQ. Again that didn't use to be the case. Another catch in the UK (except Scotland) is the police have to approve the land you're going to be shooting over for the calibre you're going to be using eg. If you apply for a .243 but the land is only cleared for a .223, you can't use a ,243 on it unless the police clear it for the higher calibre.

"a private individual who could face a £10K bill by making a Court challenge that was unsuccessful."

Doesn`t you have any firearms right organisation to help to take a case to the court?

Ha ha. Yes we did have. I believe the main one now has a clause in it's insurance that requires you to pay the 1st £500 of any action. That's not what I really call insurance.

Ha ha. Yes we did have. I believe the main one now has a clause in it's insurance that requires you to pay the 1st £500 of any action. That's not what I really call insurance.

Literally any insurance from pet insurance to car to motorbike to house has an excess. 

"is the police have to approve the land you're going to be shooting over for the calibre you're going to be using eg. If you apply for a .243 but the land is only cleared for a .223, you can't use a ,243 on it unless the police clear it for the higher calibre."

Wow you must have plenty of police officers in our area they have only time to do only do "important" police work. Strange to have an area cleared for one centerfire caliber but not for an other and then only use it for one type of quarry.  So if you move to an other area your rifles may be useless? What about hunting in a forain country is it illegal if your rifle isn`t cleared for the quarry intended to hunt?

• Haha 2
53 minutes ago, KimE said:

"is the police have to approve the land you're going to be shooting over for the calibre you're going to be using eg. If you apply for a .243 but the land is only cleared for a .223, you can't use a ,243 on it unless the police clear it for the higher calibre."

Wow you must have plenty of police officers in our area they have only time to do only do "important" police work. Strange to have an area cleared for one centerfire caliber but not for an other and then only use it for one type of quarry.  So if you move to an other area your rifles may be useless? What about hunting in a forain country is it illegal if your rifle isn`t cleared for the quarry intended to hunt?

He is referring to a probation period for a new licence holder. After the first license period of five years it becomes 'open' . A request can be made earlier than five years.

But yes....welcome to Britain, the land of experts controling the peasants!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, KimE said:

Think things are different in Scotland, I've never had to have land cleared and I have over 56,000 acres of the local estate, to my knowledge its never been cleared for any caliber. I've .22lr, .17hmr and .308 win.

2 hours ago, Gav said:

Think things are different in Scotland, I've never had to have land cleared and I have over 56,000 acres of the local estate, to my knowledge its never been cleared for any caliber. I've .22lr, .17hmr and .308 win.

Thing are different in every county, not just in Scotland, I’ve had an open ticket from day one and never had to have land cleared for a certain calibre, I was told I just need to submit a variation for my choice of calibre, I know someone who has .308 on his ticket and had this before he had any land to shoot it on, I also know someone in north Yorkshire that has .22 and is only allowed to take it to one place ( other than the rifle club ) and has to inform them about his movements. There’s no consistency in any of the forces, I’m glad that mine seem to part of the sensible few

9 minutes ago, KimE said:

Strange every county with its own rules.

What happened with the use of .303 British it must have been a great round?

It is a good round. It went out of fashion.

Still used by clubs for range use. It's more popular in Canada than the UK.

I would have no issues using a a light sporter in 303.

• Like 1