Can we still shoot ???

I sent an email to my Firearms licensing asking if they could confirm if it is ok to shoot pests alone whilst protecting crops and this was the reply I got.

The advice across the county is consistent. 

• Stopping all gatherings of more than two people in public.
  • Shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible.
  • One form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household.
  • Any medical need, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person.
  • Travelling to and from work, but only where you cannot work from home.

If you decide to undertake shooting activities, you must be prepared to show what you are doing is essential work should you be challenged by a police officer.

Now I take that last sentence as essential work being the work of a professional full time pest controller as justification for going out, but if you look at bullet point 3 one form of exercise a day what’s to say you can’t have a walk on your permission with a gun.

I live in Essex and going on the information I have received I won’t be pushing it and will stick to the spirit of what is trying to be achieved and stop shooting until the lock down is lifted.

At the end of the day the permission is still going to be there after this is all over I just hope we all are stay safe chaps. 

• Like 5

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys ,  how are you all doing ? Hope my old mates , Sausage , Stavross, BenBhoy , Si , David , Ian M , Walshie, longshanx , and any one else that I haven’t mentioned . Just thought I’d check in wit

Hope your right mate. All our lamb & beef goes through our farmshop or to local pubs, restaurants & a couple of schools. We don't sell to markets, everything goes dead so we are absolutely rel

Our firm is so tight. No masks and no hand sanitizer. Last week we had no paper towels for a week ! Today I improvised!

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, FLATTOP said:

I sent an email to my Firearms licensing asking if they could confirm if it is ok to shoot pests alone whilst protecting crops and this was the reply I got.

The advice across the county is consistent. 

• Stopping all gatherings of more than two people in public.
  • Shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible.
  • One form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household.
  • Any medical need, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person.
  • Travelling to and from work, but only where you cannot work from home.

If you decide to undertake shooting activities, you must be prepared to show what you are doing is essential work should you be challenged by a police officer.

Now I take that last sentence as essential work being the work of a professional full time pest controller as justification for going out, but if you look at bullet point 3 one form of exercise a day what’s to say you can’t have a walk on your permission with a gun.

I live in Essex and going on the information I have received I won’t be pushing it and will stick to the spirit of what is trying to be achieved and stop shooting until the lock down is lifted.

At the end of the day the permission is still going to be there after this is all over I just hope we all are stay safe chaps. 

I respect your choice but not your interpretation of a professional pestie.

Anyone stopping a vermin or pest species from doing valuable damage is conducting essential work. If it wasn't essential vegans would of got it completely banned years ago!

Beside that opinion of mine....they don't state professionals only yet they had opportunity too!

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

I respect your choice but not your interpretation of a professional pestie.

Anyone stopping a vermin or pest species from doing valuable damage is conducting essential work. If it wasn't essential vegans would of got it completely banned years ago!

Beside that opinion of mine....they don't state professionals only yet they had opportunity too!

That’s the trouble it’s not Black and White and it should be, I believe if I was to go out and got pulled which to be honest is unlikely it’s then at the discretion of the officer making the challenge as to why you are out, every officer will have a different perspective, it’s just not worth the hassle to be honest, I can understand how you feel and every individual has to make their own choices hence why I don’t get involved in the criticism of people who do go out.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Email from N Yorks police. 

Dear Sir/Madam

We have received a number of questions about whether shooting is acceptable – ie., livestock protection and crop protection. We are a small team working to minimise the impact on renewals and new applications. Due to the number of certificate holders in North Yorkshire (30,000) we cannot give individual advice as to whether a particular scenario falls within the government advice That is a decision you need to make. I would however, offer the following advice.

·         If shooting is part of your work/employment then it is my personal view that this falls within the current government advice and is permitted. You must ensure you abide by the social distancing aspect.

·         Any other shooting /hunting that is not part of your business is not essential and should not be carried out until the situation has been reviewed.

Please be aware that Government guidelines can change and it is your responsibility to ensure that you keep up to date. With that in mind this message was produced on the 2nd April 2020. When interpreting the guidelines I would advise you to use your common sense, if you feel that you are bending the rules then I would advise you to think twice.

Thank you for your continued support, I hope that you and your families remain safe.

Andrew Palmer

T/Inspector

Head of Firearms Licensing

Hide quoted text

To: Firearms Licensing <FirearmsLicensing@northyorkshire.pnn.police.uk>
Subject: Pest Control

Hi,

Could you please advise whether I would still be able to carry out pest control around the fields which are located in the Richmond and Hambleton District 

This would include rabbits, pigeons and corvids. 

The fields are starting to get plagued and crops destroyed. 

I have to drive 20 minutes to carry out the duty for the land owner. 

At no point do I leave my vehicle until I arrive at the farm and would be alone. 

Apologies for asking as I'm sure you have been asked this a million times already, but could you please advise. 

Also would I need a letter from the land owner to show the police if stopped? This could prove I'm carrying out what I believe to be essential work protecting crops. 

Regards

Stay Safe

*****************************************************************************************

Internet email is not to be treated as a secure means of communication.

North Yorkshire Police monitors all internet email activity and content.

This communication is intended for the addressee(s) only.

Please notify the sender if received in error. Unauthorised use or

disclosure of the content may be unlawful. Opinions

expressed in this document may not be official policy.

Thank you for your co-operation.

*****************************************************************************************

• Like 2
On 29/03/2020 at 20:37, BenBhoy said:

Hope your right mate. All our lamb & beef goes through our farmshop or to local pubs, restaurants & a couple of schools. We don't sell to markets, everything goes dead so we are absolutely reliant on people buying local, basically it pays my wages. 

Have seen a astronomic increase in custom in the shop these past 3 weeks. Really hope some of the new customers can see/taste the quality and the fact they can see the animal's right there in front of them.

Our cattle are slaughtered about 35 minutes away, and the lambs are killed in same village as farm, about 0.75 food miles!! 

Sorry for long post, I'm just very passionate about field to fork and people knowing where their food comes from. 

Thanks 

You can't beat meat from the butchers, I swapped years ago, you can so taste the difference from supermarket shite

• Like 2
On 26/03/2020 at 10:14, philpot said:

Durham police, firearms licensing has a notice on their web site saying :-

Shooting vermin alone for the purpose of protecting crops and livestock will be permitted.    Shooting for pleasure and /or in groups of two or more will not.

I have spoken to the Humberside Firearms dept again this morning to see if they are doing similar, I was told that someone else has sent the link through and they are in touch with Durham police but no exemptions have been advise to them. Any changes will go on the website.

So in essence you lads up in Durham area sounds like you are okay to shoot vermin but please look at the link and perhaps print it out. One thing is of course, you will have to drive to the perm which is not allowed so perhaps not all good news.

https://www.durham.police.uk/Information-and-advice/firearms-and-firearms-licensing/Pages/default.aspx

Phil

There's to many inconsistencies between forces Phil. 

Cleveland say no. 

North Yorkshire say its OK for foxes during lambing, all other pest Control is fine if its work. (it's work in a way but it's pro bono??‍♂️

Then you get Durham saying yes you can still carry out pest control. 

I've mentioned to 2 forces that it's crop protection and I'm on my own, also I feel it's essential. Didn't mention exercise but really it's the only form I get walking the fields. 

Yes follow the guidelines but I'm not taking the piss like some morons who think I'll go the fecking seaside, sorry starting to rant?

We need more clarity, because I certainly don't want to lose my FAC & SGC. 

• Like 1

Another problem thrown up by Guidelines. This Government is obsessed with guidelines. Pass laws for god's sake!

I still say not being a pro doesn't mean you're not engaged in pest control. 90% of this countries pest control is done by amateurs. However, anyone would be foolish without some guidance from their local force on this in writing specific to their personal circumstance. All you want is an assurance of not being prosecuted which is down to them after all!

• Like 5
5 hours ago, David.evans said:

Fec the risk LS 

stay in mate , it will all still be there when this shit is over 

stay safe mate 

That's my intention Dave, need to stay virus free more for the Mrs sake. Ive just emailed the forces to see what they say, this was due to my different perms are covered by different forces.

The best place to go for a nice safe walk out is on my perms as there's no fker about?

But can't risk it, it's will only take one plod to make an example and bye bye FAC & SGC 

• Thanks 1

Its going to be  busy Autumn /Winter for all of us providing the restrictions are lifted by then .My hoof broth smells vile and festers happily .All my gear is repaired and ready to go just need the various clevers involved to prove their vaccines work and we can go back to whatever you call normal .

Mind as the k n obbheads in Wuhan have reopened their mouldy food market wont be long before something else trashes the uman race 

• Like 3

I live on the edge of a town and there is a public footpath that runs right through the fields to the next village I used it regular for exercising the dogs and even had shooting permission, up until 3 years ago, until every man and is dog started using it even using it late at night to go to the village pup, now it's not safe to shoot over, and when I have been driving passed this last week there are even more people or should a say family's so what's the difference between them wandering around the field in droves and us on are own at night just because we might have to drive 5 mins to are permission. 

It's been spelled out in black and white a few times on this thread alone. If anyone else is wondering if their hobby makes them important enough to be exempt from government guidelines, the answer is no. It doesn't.

Sounding like a rebellious teenager won't change that.