Banning coal and wood

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

f**k em..

The lads on here won't let the TV licensing man in so what chance has the bloke who wants to check that their wood is dry enough to burn?  ?

I might be wrong but this is how I understand it...  ....they arnt banning wood, log burners or fires..  They are banning coal, which is mainly imported from China and Russia anyway. You can

Posted Images

20 hours ago, Caravan Monster said:

Would the development of hydrogen technology for transport have been better than electric? Electric never sounded very convincing, especially for total replacement of internal combustion engines.

As in hydrogen fuel cells? If we were to start from scratch then imo YES, it's a more practical solution. The reason, imo, that it has basically died a death is because our current energy infrastructure is heavily based on electrical energy. It's literally everywhere in society. It's just a shitty technology because the energy density of batteries is like 40-50 times less than petroleum type fuels. To move to a much more environmental/healthy hydrogen based technology would require billions spending to overhaul our infrastructure. Simply, transitioning to batteries rather than fuel cells is cheaper.

Both of these option of course still require a fundamental energy source to create the Hydrogen or charge the batteries. IMO that should be nuclear and renewables but we're a long way from that so we need to stop demonising oil & gas and give them the motivation to rapidly develop carbon capture to clean up this established energy source.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Francie said:

How long does the peat burn lad? What kind of stove do you have? 

My stoves a morso squirrel mate And a few lumps a peat will burn most the evening I don’t really mind what I burn in mines mate coal peat off cuts off wood an logs likes been said this is a conservation and smoke free area but every house in this streets got smoking lumbs.... if I had the choice I’d rather flick a switch tbh but quoted some stupid prices for central heating

2 hours ago, jackthelad said:

My stoves a morso squirrel mate And a few lumps a peat will burn most the evening I don’t really mind what I burn in mines mate coal peat off cuts off wood an logs likes been said this is a conservation and smoke free area but every house in this streets got smoking lumbs.... if I had the choice I’d rather flick a switch tbh but quoted some stupid prices for central heating

Aye but the oil heating is not viable price wise lad, I'm going through nearly 40quid of oil a week, il will give the wee stove a look goodman. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

By sounds of it some you guys are paying way over the odds for heating your houses, unless you live in Wayne manor or a cave system ffs, I’d never go back to open fire, stove or none that pish, 20 quid a week more than covers our gas an leccy unless it’s deepest darkest winter ffs an we got heating an water on constantly an 4 kids covered in markers, chockoclate an shite in an out showers an baths all time, an I moan about paying a score a week ffs???? stop living in the Stone Age ffs this ain’t some Himalayan village it’s 2020 Britain ?? if I want an open fire I’ll light one in garden or up farm and leave the mess there ?

A score a week gas and leccy?......f***ing hell, I’m not having that mate.

What you got them all huddled round a candle ?........mind you, you can take the boy out of Jockland but you can’t take Jockland out the boy ! Lol ? 

4 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Telling you mate it’s not much more, that’s roughly what wife takes an I can’t imagine her putting much on top to pay it every quarter ? I don’t live in a big flash house or that tbh, typical ex council 3 bed terrace house, an tbf the council had completely insulated it an new windows an an that Shebang before we got it an then we paid for w decent boiler that a family pal out is onto that is meant to be a good un, should also add we are a busy family an it’s not often we got a full household, but like I said when we are at home water an heating on constant an just use thermostat to control the heat?

Give us your address, I’m sending my whole family round ! Lol 

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

As in hydrogen fuel cells? If we were to start from scratch then imo YES, it's a more practical solution. The reason, imo, that it has basically died a death is because our current energy infrastructure is heavily based on electrical energy. It's literally everywhere in society. It's just a shitty technology because the energy density of batteries is like 40-50 times less than petroleum type fuels. To move to a much more environmental/healthy hydrogen based technology would require billions spending to overhaul our infrastructure. Simply, transitioning to batteries rather than fuel cells is cheaper.

Both of these option of course still require a fundamental energy source to create the Hydrogen or charge the batteries. IMO that should be nuclear and renewables but we're a long way from that so we need to stop demonising oil & gas and give them the motivation to rapidly develop carbon capture to clean up this established energy source.

Plus hydrogen can be made at home which would remove the governments ability to tax the back out of you and control supply and demand ?

36 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

By sounds of it some you guys are paying way over the odds for heating your houses, unless you live in Wayne manor or a cave system ffs, I’d never go back to open fire, stove or none that pish, 20 quid a week more than covers our gas an leccy unless it’s deepest darkest winter ffs an we got heating an water on constantly an 4 kids covered in markers, chockoclate an shite in an out showers an baths all time, an I moan about paying a score a week ffs???? stop living in the Stone Age ffs this ain’t some Himalayan village it’s 2020 Britain ?? if I want an open fire I’ll light one in garden or up farm and leave the mess there

52 minutes ago, Francie said:

Aye but the oil heating is not viable price wise lad, I'm going through nearly 40quid of oil a week, il will give the wee stove a look goodman. 

Good stoves the morso Francie pricey but I’ve had mines ten year still looks new... ish 

On 24/02/2020 at 10:57, Born Hunter said:

People find it difficult to conceptualise how energy dense petrol is - I recently spent the day cutting oak for a friend that had been left for 5+ years and was so hard it was more or less impossible to split and had to be sawn into burnable size lumps. With a well set up 70cc stihl chainsaw I filled 4 cubic metre bulk bags with logs using about 5 litres of petrol. To cut and split that much by hand would be days of work, but  most drivers wouldn't think twice about using that much fuel for an unnecessary journey.

The £200 billion HS2 is going to end up costing could have been used to develop infrastructure and hydrogen cell vehicles for a transport system people actually want and creating kit and technology the UK could sell to the world.

• Like 2

Agree with Wilf 100% on this one. Firstly its another ban and second the hipocrisy of it...!!

I have central heating, sound, new central heating. I also have a burner, a new efficient burner, a Clock, the best i could find.

My burner looks fantastic but i never got bought for its looks.

In my village there's no mains gas, its oil or bottled gas. I'm too far off the main road to have oil pumped into a tank in the back and as i'm in a conservation area i cannot have a tank on show, so the cost of a tank buried and piped would have come to near 7k. So we stuck to bottled gas. Now if i was to run all my house off the central heating, well that would cost a pretty penny, in fact it'd be cheaper burning twenty pound notes for heat..!

So after coming home mid winter and knocking the heating on for an hour, it's turned off and the burners lit and keeps us toasty all night.

Sure, i fully understand how much better and easier (for me!!) central heating is, from my 42 years in the city. Now, without a burner, in our ex corpy 3 bed semi, it would cost us a fecking fortune each year to stay warm, especially as my Mrs is part fecking reptile..!!

37 minutes ago, Caravan Monster said:

People find it difficult to conceptualise how energy dense petrol is - I recently spent the day cutting oak for a friend that had been left for 5+ years and was so hard it was more or less impossible to split and had to be sawn into burnable size lumps. With a well set up 70cc stihl chainsaw I filled 4 cubic metre bulk bags with logs using about 5 litres of petrol. To cut and split that much by hand would be days of work, but  most drivers wouldn't think twice about using that much fuel for an unnecessary journey.

The £200 billion HS2 is going to end up costing could have been used to develop infrastructure and hydrogen cell vehicles for a transport system people actually want and creating kit and technology the UK could sell to the world.

True, but then it is important to some to get from London to Birmingham 6 minutes quicker. ?

We live in a very rural area and I would estimate that over 90% of the houses around here are heated by log burners. We are surrounded by forests that are managed to provide wood for burning and for paper production. They could not ban the selling of wood that hasn't been kiln dried as most fire wood is left out for years to season and much of the supply chain is via farmers and small holders who have a bit of woodland.

We have an oil fired boiler that must be over 15 years old. It has no exhaust filter and we get through about 1600 litres a year. The fuel has cost 90 cents / litre the last time, but we have had it as low as 70 cents / litre. If and when the oil burners are banned my plan is to have a geo-thermal system drawing water from the top well, running it through a heat exchanger pump and then dumping it in the lower well so we shouldn't need a licence. The house is a bungalow on top of a basement so access under the floors is relatively easy. I could fit the heating pipes and easy stuff and we have a friend who can do the technical stuff. The water comes out at a minimum of 12C in winter and we have never run the well dry yet even in the record drought of last summer. That and a log burner should do it.