Banning coal and wood

I might be wrong but this is how I understand it... 

....they arnt banning wood, log burners or fires.. 

They are banning coal, which is mainly imported from China and Russia anyway. You can still burn smokeless, which isn't that much more expensive and it gives out more heat. On a 20kg I pay a quid more for smokeless. This is cleaner, gives out more heat and is safer in wood/solid fuel burners. 

To sell wood it will need to be kiln dried or assured to be under a certain moisturiser content. This wood will again give out more heat and prolong the life of your liner /woodburner. 

Let's be honest nobody is going to police you cutting and burning your own wood after dark. The only person who stands to loose out is Abdul down the garage selling bags of shite logs at £5 a net full (half a nights worth in most houses) to pretentious twots who only light the fire when they have guests round. If you rely on wood or solid fuel you should be burning quality stuff anyway not damp shite sold by cow boys

Edited by DIDO.1
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

f**k em..

The lads on here won't let the TV licensing man in so what chance has the bloke who wants to check that their wood is dry enough to burn?  ?

I might be wrong but this is how I understand it...  ....they arnt banning wood, log burners or fires..  They are banning coal, which is mainly imported from China and Russia anyway. You can

Posted Images

8 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

They are banning coal, which is mainly imported from China and Russia anyway. You can still burn smokeless, which isn't that much more expensive and it gives out more heat. On a 20kg I pay a quid more for smokeless. This is cleaner, gives out more heat and is safer in wood/solid fuel burners. 

To sell wood it will need to be kiln dried or assured to be under a certain moisturiser content. This wood will again give out more heat and prolong the life of your liner /woodburner. 

Let's be honest nobody is going to police you cutting and burning your own wood after dark. The only person who stands to loose out is Abdul down the garage selling bags of shite logs at £5 a net full (half a nights worth in most houses) to pretentious twots who only light the fire when they have guests round. If you rely on wood or solid fuel you should be burning quality stuff anyway not damp shite sold by cow boys

110% correct.

8 hours ago, kanny said:

To put it in perspective  we are 5 or 6th biggest economy in the world and we are responsible for just  1% of the world's carbon. ...WE ARE NOT THE PROBLEM! 

it's like the plastic and toxic stuff it's the Asians and others that are responsible for this.  Attenborough and thunberg should go and have a hunger strike in India or somewhere.  The dirty b*****ds.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Balaur said:

Tbh I think they're only banning the logs you buy in the garage, the bags of unseasoned stuff. Must be a crazy expensive way to buy wood mind. I heard that people will have to buy seasoned wood or kiln dried, from blah blah blah.

A lot of the posh houses round here have a wood burner and buy a couple of bags of coal or logs from the petrol station at Christmas for a quaint festive feel and no other day, they are the only people affected, like most of these things it appeases the moaners without delivering f,a, ive lived in a smokeless zone and had a wood burner for 30 odd years burn it night and day often with skip wood or logs from fallen trees, the biggest carbon footprint from coal is the ships bringing it half way round the world burning a gallon of diesel a minute as they go, just stay calm and carry on ✌️

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, Greyman said:

A lot of the posh houses round here have a wood burner and buy a couple of bags of coal or logs from the petrol station at Christmas for a quaint festive feel and no other day, they are the only people affected, like most of these things it appeases the moaners without delivering f,a, ive lived in a smokeless zone and had a wood burner for 30 odd years burn it night and day often with skip wood or logs from fallen trees, the biggest carbon footprint from coal is the ships bringing it half way round the world burning a gallon of diesel a minute as they go, just stay calm and carry on ✌️

Fuel consumption by a containership is mostly a function of ship size and cruising speed, which follows an exponential function above 14 knots. For instance,  a containership of around 8,000 TEU would consume about 225 tons of bunker fuel per day at 24 knots.

1 ship = 50 million  cars 

https://newatlas.com/shipping-pollution/11526/

11 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

But it is not just the garage sellers who will suffer. There are loads of farmers and other professionals who make a bit of extra money selling seasoned logs and they cannot guarantee the humidity of every single piece of wood they sell. And you can often buy it unseasoned and leave it out to dry yourself. That won't be allowed.  If you insist on every log being kiln dried or every piece checked for moisture content then they are out of business leaving those who kiln dry wood no cheaper competition so can put their prices up. And, drying wood in a kiln adds to the carbon footprint. Leaving wood out for a few years doesn't.

This hasn't been properly thought out. There are steps being taken to reduce gas and oil fired boilers and electricity is too expensive and they cannot guarantee keeping pace with current demands let alone loads of new electric boilers. Now they are adding to people's problems by banning another cheap source of fuel or making it more expensive.

• Like 2

I can see they will be able to ban Coal but I don't see how they will be able to control the sale of logs. Where are they going to get all these smoke police from they can't even police the country ffs. If you have a wood burner and I do then it's in your own interest not to burn green wood. So nothing changes really.

Cheers Arry

• Like 3

We bought a new Rayburn and the whole fixing about 4 years ago a d specified a multi burner wood / coal with the idea of burning both.  I used to think that the only purpose for wood was to burn it to keep warm.  I now know that wood ain't even any good fit that either. we were burning oak that had been felled about four years. The Crap that clooged the stainless chimney flue started to catch fire and I could have gone into tarmac production for the road.  Total Shiite.  We have converted over to a mix of two different smokeless solid fuel nuts.  We get a delivery in about September which doesent all get used by spring.  It burns clean produces twice the heat. This unit heats the house / cooks/ hot water.  The house is always warm.  I wouldn't go back to burning wood of any sort unless there was  no other option. I might go to burning plastic though if it pollutes the bloody neighbours over the road. 

I used to be a chimney sweep (now finished thank feck). Most people never read the manufacturer's instructions as to what temperature to burn at and consequently either have the thing slowly smoldering 'to keep the fire in' producing a load of creosote and soot and filling the street with smoke, or too hot on coal wrecking the appliance and starting chimney fires :icon_eek: I've looked at a few wood drying kilns and wasn't very convinced by them. Customers that had bought kiln 'dried' wood said it wasn't at all dry and not worth the money. Most modern homes are well insulated and draught proof and I reckon it would nearly always be cheaper and easier to turn up the central heating than messing about with fires. I can see why people use wood if they have access to it, but it's a lot of work. About the only solid fuel appliances I've seen work effectively are the expensive closed ones like Clearviews burning anthracite in the correct temperature range but you still have to empty and load them two or three times a day and they still coat the room in a film of soot. Fires are dirty, dangerous and inefficient but people love them and judging by the number I used to sweep in smoke free zones, new laws aren't going to stop them.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, kanny said:

Fuel consumption by a containership is mostly a function of ship size and cruising speed, which follows an exponential function above 14 knots. For instance,  a containership of around 8,000 TEU would consume about 225 tons of bunker fuel per day at 24 knots.

1 ship = 50 million  cars 

https://newatlas.com/shipping-pollution/11526/

Don’t really understand all that but basically I was just plucking figures to highlight a truth, that the ship is more polluting than the coal regardless of it being smokeless or not, it’s all just pieces of a massive globalist movement to make everyone dependant on the state and remove anybody’s ability to look after themselves ??

• Like 1

We went on a cruise in the Med and the smoke and smell from the exhaust was ; 1...  A lot... 2 ..... really heavy.  3.....  really sickenly stinky.  I had a guided tour of the bridge area aand I asked questions about the fuel ect.  They said that many tons were used every day and that they were using the good stuff this week because of emission regulations !  Next week when the ship was up in the black sea they would be using the dirty heavy stuff !!!??????  the fuel was like molten tar that would be like blocks that are put in a tar boiler for use on felt roofs. Perhaps that's why that that Russian aircraft carrier smokes so bad. Running it on molten s/h tarmac and ground up lorry tyres.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Greyman said:

Don’t really understand all that but basically I was just plucking figures to highlight a truth, that the ship is more polluting than the coal regardless of it being smokeless or not, it’s all just pieces of a massive globalist movement to make everyone dependant on the state and remove anybody’s ability to look after themselves ??

And get as many cars as possible off the road so they don't have to spend money on traffic management.

9 hours ago, Greyman said:

A gallon of diesel a minute GM.

Have a read of these stats.this ship is burning 2 gallons a second.

20 tons of diesel per hour.

And the government are moaning about people burning a few logs lol.

Screenshot_20200222-193601.png.876424ffedc7076ce146b73af72b2368.png

• Like 1