Jump to content

Recommended Posts

From some of the pictures I’ve seen of the plummers they stand out in the ratting game & obviously the lads who working them are mad for rats you can’t argue with the pictures put up by these boys the amount of stuff they kill & do it constantly every week all year round 

Share this post


Link to post

From what i seen and other lads are telling me alot are half hearted soft types like busy idiot dogs. Id put mine down as like a close working beagle. The coat is deffo a problem i dont think i will bother with one again for what i want in a terrier theres no way this dog would keep hes looks after a hard winter ripping bramble and gorse. So quest continues for the type of terrier im after this dog will do someone just pottering around hedges and that lovely though.

Edited by C.green

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, C.green said:

From what i seen and other lads are telling me alot are half hearted soft types like busy idiot dogs. Id put mine down as like a close working beagle. The coat is deffo a problem i dont think i will bother with one again for what i want in a terrier theres no way this dog would keep hes looks after a hard winter ripping bramble and gorse. So quest continues for the type of terrier im after this dog will do someone just pottering around hedges and that lovely though.

 

25A01570-EF16-4A6E-957E-2ACFF62802C0.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, C.green said:

From what i seen and other lads are telling me alot are half hearted soft types like busy idiot dogs. Id put mine down as like a close working beagle. The coat is deffo a problem i dont think i will bother with one again for what i want in a terrier theres no way this dog would keep hes looks after a hard winter ripping bramble and gorse. So quest continues for the type of terrier im after this dog will do someone just pottering around hedges and that lovely though.

My old girl has a few tiny rips on her ears from a life time of bushing through all sorts of crap,the worse thing is you can see the marks from brambles but she's never been ripped open as such,it's the thinness of coat hairs i don't like to much but if you your on it about it then a good box and a rub down when you've finished stops any problems as it does with any terrier or short haired working dog..

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, fireman said:

My old girl has a few tiny rips on her ears from a life time of bushing through all sorts of crap,the worse thing is you can see the marks from brambles but she's never been ripped open as such,it's the thinness of coat hairs i don't like to much but if you your on it about it then a good box and a rub down when you've finished stops any problems as it does with any terrier or short haired working dog..

What i mean is fireman ive had spaniels that when worked hard got sore round there eyes took some stick to there chests. With this coat i cant see the dog staying sound. I sort of know what im after and all the times ive known people get into this breed and eventually get out has made sense to me now. This little dog suit a moocher hedgerow basher sort of person thats out once a week or whatever but i get out abit more than that doing allsorts and the dog isnt for me and as i said earlier dont think id have another as a gift.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, C.green said:

What i mean is fireman ive had spaniels that when worked hard got sore round there eyes took some stick to there chests. With this coat i cant see the dog staying sound. I sort of know what im after and all the times ive known people get into this breed and eventually get out has made sense to me now. This little dog suit a moocher hedgerow basher sort of person thats out once a week or whatever but i get out abit more than that doing allsorts and the dog isnt for me and as i said earlier dont think id have another as a gift.

I no what you mean I have spaniel bitch and she has a good thick coat but after a day out she sore round her eyes and on end of her ears  she will still work the next day but can see she is sore , if she was a fine coated dog she’d probably look like she been through a mincer lol , not all dogs make the grade and if the dog isn’t suited to the ground your going to be working on no point keeping it , have sort the wheat from the chaff so to speak. Lad down here has a rough coated paterdale bitch that won’t drop to ground seen That work couple times and she will work any cover and doesn’t suffer ,, but finding a decent bushing terrier with good coat that don’t drop to ground is getting harder ..I’ve only seen to them plumbers work and both didn’t impress me at all 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

got a 2 1/2 yr old rough coated black bitch here....been praying the cnut will drop to ground but just not interested🤷‍♂️😁

Mr green you tried a bedlington yet for bushing?get some real handy sorts.

my mate got a few Wheatons,they Bush like f**k,surprised me...even takes them in the beating line👍

Share this post


Link to post

Fcuk knows how folk leave em in kennel an only get out once  a week, this fcuker would wreck the place. An me marriage 😂

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

got a 2 1/2 yr old rough coated black bitch here....been praying the cnut will drop to ground but just not interested🤷‍♂️😁

Mr green you tried a bedlington yet for bushing?get some real handy sorts.

my mate got a few Wheatons,they Bush like f**k,surprised me...even takes them in the beating line👍

Yeah tried the wheatens didmt like them never tried the beddies got me heart set on a small little russel for the job and have tried a few before the plummer. Already got one coming from wales next week so give her a bash. If youve a standard some arnt going to reach it. 

Edited by C.green

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Fcuk knows how folk leave em in kennel an only get out once  a week, this fcuker would wreck the place. An me marriage 😂

Be fair khatchum id of loved a dog like this one as a kid. Ideal for someone to learn with as they do seem pretty versatile. 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, C.green said:

Be fair khatchum id of loved a dog like this one as a kid. Ideal for someone to learn with as they do seem pretty versatile. 

Deffo mate, but there’s no way in this earth this dog or it’s parents could be only took out even a couple time a week, in my honest opinion it’s the one (sort of) drawback to the dogs, is they need constant graft or atleast stimulation, I can’t imagine what would happen if this bitch was left in yard for a few days on trott. I know there’s lots lines about an some differ but Iv only saw one line an once a week part timers dogs they ain’t, my lad has bust his balls to keep this bitch in graft an the hard truth is it’s not enough an that’s why she goes with me if he at school or busy an she not with him👍

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I've seen a few plummers ratting they were nice dogs 2 of the plummers had good noses the other one was more of a catch dog it just seemed to know when a rat was going to bolt he had a bit of Lakeland in him had a really nice coat smooth but a bit thicker and coarser than the others I've had my dogs ratting just as good as them with just as good a nose but mine are easier to kennel and quieter at home the lad with the plummers was always out with them trying to tire them out think he got them through Dave platts friend not 100% though 

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, fatlad said:

I've seen a few plummers ratting they were nice dogs 2 of the plummers had good noses the other one was more of a catch dog it just seemed to know when a rat was going to bolt he had a bit of Lakeland in him had a really nice coat smooth but a bit thicker and coarser than the others I've had my dogs ratting just as good as them with just as good a nose but mine are easier to kennel and quieter at home the lad with the plummers was always out with them trying to tire them out think he got them through Dave platts friend not 100% though 

Platts pal had the Coalville line as such and my old bitch is heavy with that blood on her dams side,she has been one i had to take out when she was younger and she sure didn't do one day a week but she's lived indoors all her life and has been no hassle within the house.ok a few of the kids shoes got had as a pup but any pup does that sort of thing.But saying that i couldn't these days deal with a kennel full of them as i work to much to have time for a pack of them and the russell's i keep these days are a bit more neighbour kind,but my life with plummer blood in my kennels ain't over and we'll see what the future brings..

Share this post


Link to post

And when i say one day a week fellers i dont mean pottering here n there for couple rabbits. I mean taking ya dog to acres of common scrub n gorse and asking ya dog to push rabbits about for the lurchers or taking them in christmas tree plantation and getting them pushing muntjac about and connecting with any the guns wound then theres the getting in out the water swimming about with geese and ducks to carry back but also bieng steady enough to poibt odd bits sat tight. I can take or leave the ratting and ferreting to be honest thats mainly what im wanting a small dog to do what ive put above. 

Edited by C.green

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...