Sign in to follow this  

On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 20:47, All-terrain said:

Visited my mate today he has alsorts Of old pics, prints,paintings etc,loads of books aswell, took a few pics of some of them next time I’m there I’ll get some more, pics took off me phone so not the best, atb At 

10D823E3-6891-4C27-BB42-AB3F051E760A.jpeg

That old Bucks Otter Hounds print is one of my absolute favourite otter hunting prints. They were originally produced as a fund raiser for the B.O.H. and if my memory serves me right were at that time were being sold by the supporters club for the princely sum of £6 (I should be so lucky now). I have one hanging on the wall right now and never tire of admiring it.... and another one stored away in a tube to be passed on at some point.

A.T. thank you for sharing and my very best wishes to the gentleman in question. Long may he enjoy his memories, they will ALWAYS be very special times no matter what lesser beings may decree !!!!  :drinks: 

1597505905_Prints1.jpg.1dfbfa2dafe70cecf753a67c2d3527ef.jpg

993123365_Prints2.jpg.dfccec5f44bde8aee8b10138ec7eb3ce.jpg

Edited by Barrie
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

On 01/06/2019 at 20:35, p3d said:

Early Kerry Blue Litter in the 20's.jpg

Same litter would be split into Kerry Blue, Wheaton and Irish, the B&T could pass as Irish back then. The RED coat came later.

Irish Terrier  B&T 1910.jpg

Irish Terrier 1910

KBT-1916.jpg

KBT Trialled 1960.jpg

Kerry Blue/ Wheaton were trialled up to the 60's. and some later but the working numbers were not being produced.

The Staffs became the dog of choice. (Love the way the staff in the centre is waiting his chance to cling that Kerry Blue.)

20190610_165207.jpg.9ce59b324929642b3624935c284e433f.jpg20190610_162225.jpg.8f0dddca2ade76c487b8ba2ceebf3893.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Barrie said:

That old Bucks Otter Hounds print is one of my absolute favourite otter hunting prints. They were originally produced as a fund raiser for the B.O.H. and if my memory serves me right were at that time were being sold by the supporters club for the princely sum of £6 (I should be so lucky now). I have one hanging on the wall right now and never tire of admiring it.... and another one stored away in a tube to be passed on at some point.

A.T. thank you for sharing and my very best wishes to the gentleman in question. Long may he enjoy his memories, they will ALWAYS be very special times no matter what lesser beings may decree !!!!  :drinks: 

1597505905_Prints1.jpg.1dfbfa2dafe70cecf753a67c2d3527ef.jpg

993123365_Prints2.jpg.dfccec5f44bde8aee8b10138ec7eb3ce.jpg

Barry I’ve seen that other print of the border county hanging on wall before in someone else’s house and along with a index print next to it with everyone’s name and naming every hound even the terrier if my mind recalls correctly. The man across the river is named as well. Quite a interesting thing because there’s a few in the picture I know. Would I be right in saying your good self appears on it Mr.Wade.??

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, strongbow said:

Barry I’ve seen that other print of the border county hanging on wall before in someone else’s house and along with a index print next to it with everyone’s name and naming every hound even the terrier if my mind recalls correctly. The man across the river is named as well. Quite a interesting thing because there’s a few in the picture I know. Would I be right in saying your good self appears on it Mr.Wade.??

Hi Strongbow

You're quite correct about that larger print, it does have an accompanying index print which names every single person, hound and terrier. It's a "proper job" as they say. However, it's the Eastern Counties Otter Hounds, rather than the Border Counties and no I'm not on there I'm afraid.

Around that time, a number of the packs had prints produced as a way of raising funds and they were quickly snatched up. Below is the Border Counties version, I was lucky enough to be there that day (although not in the picture) and just out of interest it relates to the same day the photograph of Bert Gripton, with his terrier Thatch under his arm and an otter pad in his hand, was taken. 

Kindest Regards - Barrie

BCOH.jpg.615b0781e480b04c71a3fef9a57e0c01.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 09/06/2019 at 18:48, Bosun11 said:

Sounds right Glyn, I stand corrected.

I knew Brian had met Breay, I've been present on a couple of his talk nights years ago. Though i thought he went up to meet him and Brian's terrier history did change from talk to talk.... 🤥

Maybe its Park i'm getting confused with?

Yes i Would think it was J.Park and no doubt countless others unknown to us all , but not Brian he told me it was just easier to go elsewhere for the blood , he told me most of F.Bucks terriers had  a price 

Edited by Glyn.....
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, foxdropper said:

That will upset many a Nuttalite Glyn .

Well I'm a nuttallalite myself tried to keep them right these 30 odd years but Brian told me this himself in a taped interview I did in 2000 there been some bullshit written since about him hunting with Breay but it never happened 

I’m not doubting you mate but many a yard was based on what Buck supposedly  brought to the mix and many a terrier was sold to that effect .Nuttal was a fickle man when it came to telling the truth I found ,having been told several scenarios for same dog .If he truly didn’t know I’d rather he said but to tell lies put him down there with a few more I’ve come across .Ive had to rewrite my whole ped  he once drew up for me due to your good self a while back .

Rather trust you than him .

• Like 4

The one thing that always grinds me is the stamp of all of the fell legends of yesteryear, just look at the old pictures of the terriers that made their names, and look at the type that destroyed that name........no resemblance

• Like 4