Changes to the general license

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am inclined to agree with Matt here and as it was only announced at 3.30pm BASC have had no time to do anything as yet plus the CLA will be up in arms and the farmers union plus the young farmers as

Thanks for your support Sue Fisher        

I thought I would share this with you lot, I’m not sure on the legality of sharing the email that has just been passed to me so I won’t post it on here the email is from an MP from Yorkshire, he

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, timmytree said:
I'm posting this  because I think it's important.

This is part of a transcript from an interview yesterday. I think it makes interesting reading, especially when you consider that Wild Justice asked for the ban to start in Jan 2020. So to me it looks like this whole bloody fiasco and all the bad feeling that goes with it is entirely down to Natural England.

Speaking on BBC Radio 4’s Farming Today programme on 25 April, Packham’s Wild Justice colleague Mark Avery said he was as surprised as the shooters by Natural England’s action. He said Wild Justice had asked for the General Licences to end in January 2020. He said he accepted that farmers needed to shoot pigeons but questioned whether gamekeepers should carry out pest control to benefit Gamebirds. “We totally accept where landowners… and farmers… should be able to shoot birds that are causing them problems,” Avery told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme the same morning. “We don’t have any problem with that happening in a regulated manner."

Thats an excuse if you ask me to the backlash they have recieved. Add to that, that most of us shoot magpies and crows for the reason of wild songbird conservation not for gamekeepers just proves they are back peddling now.

Lets face it, Ornithology is packhams speciality, we cant take that away from him but as for the other fuckwits, they wouldnt know a curlew from a whimbrel or a chough from a bloody blackbird so in my opinion they should all go back to school and learn a bit before making themselves experts on things that my kids know a lot more about.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, timmytree said:

I get what they’re saying, to a point. But, the majority of people shooting birds on the list do so with a reason, I shoot the crows in my garden and the field behind me that I have permission on because they’re a f***ing menace and since I have they stay well clear of my garden, and as a result the amount of song birds I have nesting in my garden is amazing. My neighbors garden on the other hand is swamped by crows and no song birds. 

If I was shooting birds for the just to shoot something I’d be hitting the robins too. 

The first crow I see in the garden hassling the nesting birds will get it. 

With our nanny state we will soon say good bye to game shooting along with  salmon and trout fishing because god forbid someone might be doing it for reasons that someone in an office 200 miles away says isn’t on a list.

i also trap the mice in my garage and shoot the squirrels too. 

Edited by Dave_4
  • Like 5

Honestly, I can't see anything wrong with taking a couple of pigeons for the pot.

...... I can't even see much wrong with someone taking one from their own back garden occasionally if it's going to be used and appreciated.

I've got a permission where they grow their own produce for the farm shop - I've never been asked to try to decimate the pigeon population, just shoot a few if they're near.

....... If anyone looks back over some of my old posts, they'll see that I enjoy shooting just a few and cooking with them. I don't see that as wrong.

Surely that's better than a syndicate dumping loads of dead pheasants.

I think this problem has come about now because a lefty, anti, vegan, proven liar has got a bit smart and stuck his nose where it doesn't belong - getting his nickers in a twist over something that doesn't concern him.

He'd do better pressing for proper sentences for the individuals that are caught abusing airguns.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, timmytree said:

Even the RSPB cull crows so they are affected too. The issue was shooters taking birds which they had no valid reason to do, shooting for the pot or just for sport/fun and not complying with the GL. Read through the hunting sections and you will see post after post of birds shot for no other reason than they were in range. No crop damage, not in nesting season, even relatively rare birds like Jays that are responsible for planting most of the oak trees in this country. Even shooting over stubble with decoys is dodgy, one of my farmers no longer allows it because in his view once the wheat or barley is taken off there is no reason to shoot birds that are taking wastage and leaving standing crop alone. Wild Justice challenged the legality of the GL and questioned whether shooters were abiding by it in Feb this year. They asked Natural England to sort it by Jan 2020. NE were advised by their own lawyers that the GL as they have been using it is illegal/unfit for purpose. NE decided to stop the GL almost immediately, they still had 9 months to work out a solution but like most government depts they are inept, stupid and are about as useful as a one legged man in an arse kicking contest.

WJ asked for changes to the GL, not an outright ban on shooting. They asked for that because it was obvious that shooters weren't following the terms of the GL. If you want to blame anyone for this mess blame the shooters who have posted about the birds shot for the pot, or in gardens, or for no better reason than they were sat on a roof or in a tree or pooing on a driveway. 

WJ have stated they have no problem with control of some species particularly around agriculture and public health/safety but this needs to be worked out between all the interested parties in a sensible manner. 

If all shooting had been about damage limitation this wouldn't have happened.

I'll say it yet again, I stopped posting hunting pics and stories years ago because I could see what was going to happen. I warned what was going to happen and got slated for being a tree hugger but now I've been proved right. Shooters who broke the law and then gobbed off about it have potentially screwed it for everyone.

Well ill be following your roll from now on Tim

no pics but ill still put a write up for the lads

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

Honestly, I can't see anything wrong with taking a couple of pigeons for the pot.

...... I can't even see much wrong with someone taking one from their own back garden occasionally if it's going to be used and appreciated.

I've got a permission where they grow their own produce for the farm shop - I've never been asked to try to decimate the pigeon population, just shoot a few if they're near.

....... If anyone looks back over some of my old posts, they'll see that I enjoy shooting just a few and cooking with them. I don't see that as wrong.

Surely that's better than a syndicate dumping loads of dead pheasants.

I think this problem has come about now because a lefty, anti, vegan, proven liar has got a bit smart and stuck his nose where it doesn't belong - getting his nickers in a twist over something that doesn't concern him.

He'd do better pressing for proper sentences for the individuals that are caught abusing airguns.

If you took a couple home for the pot having shot them in accordance with the terms of the GL there is nothing wrong, but specifically shooting a couple for the pot is not a valid reason under the GL.

• Like 3